Re: headstock bearings, random numbers

Brian G

Guest
Geraint Jones wrote:
> It was the thin trickle of rusty grease from the bottom headstock bearing
> that made me strip it down, your honour... eventually traceable to a leak
> at the bolt at the top of the (quill) stem, and a rusty bit of cast iron
> pretending to be the nut-cum-spreader bit (whatever that's called) but
> that's another story. (What is that called? Is it on Guy's naming of
> parts relay?)

I just call it the wedge (but in these matters I may be but Poorly
Educated).

--
Brian G

Brian G wrote:
> Geraint Jones wrote:
> > It was the thin trickle of rusty grease from the bottom headstock bearing
> > that made me strip it down, your honour... eventually traceable to a leak
> > at the bolt at the top of the (quill) stem, and a rusty bit of cast iron
> > pretending to be the nut-cum-spreader bit (whatever that's called) but
> > that's another story. (What is that called? Is it on Guy's naming of
> > parts relay?)

> I just call it the wedge (but in these matters I may be but Poorly
> Educated).

Sheldon Brown refers to it as the wedge or expander (depending on the
type) http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_w.html#wedgebolt

best wishes
james

In article <[email protected]>, Brian G wrote:
>Geraint Jones wrote:
>> It was the thin trickle of rusty grease from the bottom headstock bearing
>> that made me strip it down, your honour... eventually traceable to a leak
>> at the bolt at the top of the (quill) stem, and a rusty bit of cast iron
>> pretending to be the nut-cum-spreader bit (whatever that's called) but
>> that's another story. (What is that called? Is it on Guy's naming of
>> parts relay?)

>I just call it the wedge (but in these matters I may be but Poorly
>Educated).

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_w.html#wedgebolt has a picture of two
types, one labelled Wedge, one Expander. "nut-cum-spreader" sounds a
bit more like the Expander version, but could be either.