Re: Heart Rate advice required Please

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Alan Holmes, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    "flanagaj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I ride with a few Triathletes on a Sunday morning and thought it would
    > be good to compare heart rates. I was really surprised to find that
    > theirs seemed low compared to mine (they only told me they never go more
    > than 170). I sit on my turbo quite happily training in the region of 170
    > - 180 for 30 minutes no problem. I know my max is high as I did a max HR
    > test a couple of years ago and it was 205 I am 32.
    >
    > Am I worrying over nothing ?

    Yes.

    Forget all about measuring the rate and enjoy cycling.

    Alan

  2. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    Think my news server is dropping posts as I never saw the original.

    > "flanagaj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I ride with a few Triathletes on a Sunday morning and thought it would
    > > be good to compare heart rates. I was really surprised to find that
    > > theirs seemed low compared to mine (they only told me they never go more
    > > than 170). I sit on my turbo quite happily training in the region of 170
    > > - 180 for 30 minutes no problem. I know my max is high as I did a max HR
    > > test a couple of years ago and it was 205 I am 32.
    > >
    > > Am I worrying over nothing ?

    Well, variation of a few beats/min is normal across the population. If you were
    with a very fit bunch of triathletes they probably wouldn't go very high though.

    Triathletes (well-trained ones) generally find it hard to get their HR up high
    on the bike.

    > Yes.

    Agreed.

    > Forget all about measuring the rate and enjoy cycling.

    Disagreed. For you that might work Alan (I hope it does and I'm happy if you
    are happy). For "flanagaj" I would suggest reading a book on using HR
    measurements.

    Also, try riding a known course repeatedly over a period of time, and try to
    keep your HR constant (at whatever you can sustain). This gives you an early
    indicator of how your body is responding to training.

    Do some bricking regularly too, and measure your HR change across the brick.

    Good luck
    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen, Useless Runner

  3. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    "Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Think my news server is dropping posts as I never saw the original.

    No, it's not. The OP is weeks (and weeks) old; a number of respondents made
    similar points to those you've made, I seem to remember.

  4. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "Simon D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > Think my news server is dropping posts as I never saw the original.
    > >

    > No, it's not. The OP is weeks (and weeks) old; a number of respondents made
    > similar points to those you've made, I seem to remember.

    That'll teach me to Google for every post to see if it's already been responded
    to several years before.

    Wait a moment, how old is your post?
    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen, Present Dweller