General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Heart Rate Zones Advice Please.

Started by Ignoramus1467 · · Last activity · 5 posts · 235 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 August 2003
Last activity
27 August 2003
Original author
Ignoramus1467
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
235
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I would also ignore her advice and suggest that unless you are very
    well trained, do not strain your heart and do not be very short of
    breath.

    Running fast uphill is OUT until you really know what you are doing.
    Jogging for 30-60 minutes is much safer.

    40 minutes of slow running is better than wrecking yourself doing high
    intensity something.

    i

    In article said:

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:02:26 -0400, "jayjay" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    anarobic workouts (weight lifting) will burn more calories in the long run,
    as they strain the muscles, cause muscle growth, and muscle burns calories
    (fat does not - well, only miniscule amounts). Cardio (aerobic) only burns
    calires while your working out, not all day long (weight lifting burns
    calories all day long).

    What?

    Quoted message said:

    your best bet is weights and Interval training. Interval training - getting
    your heart rate up as high as you can

    High as you can? Max out your heart rate? What?

    Quoted message said:

    for short bursts and then brings your
    heart rate back down to a more controllable pace.

    What's "controllable" as a % of max?

    Quoted message said:

    Best explaination is take
    someone who isn't a runner normally. They go for a walk, spend 5 mins
    warming up and walking at a moderate pace and increasing the pace to a
    quick, brisk pace. Then when they are good and warmed up break into a jog
    for 5 mins, then return to a brisk walk for 2, then jog for 5 and walk for
    2.

    Where is that maxed out heart rate here?

    Quoted message said:

    Do this for 30 mins (5 min warmup, 3 jogs and 2 walks and a cool down)
    at least 3 times a week and you'll show faster and more fat burning than if
    you just exercised in the "optimal heart rate zone" for 1 hr at a time, 3
    times a week.

    This is a pseudo attempt to describe a HIIT program. The effects of
    HIIT vs endurance can be minuscule.

    Quoted message said:

    Interval training is currently the standard for getting a good cardio
    workout.

    No it is not. If there is a standard, it is the 30-40 minute brisk
    paced walk.

    Quoted message said:

    Please take note that you will receive conflicting advice as everyone
    follows different feathers.

    You may receive conflicting advice but if you want excellent advice, I
    would first ignore yours.

  2. In article said:
    Ignoramus1467 said:

    I would also ignore her advice and suggest that unless you are very
    well trained, do not strain your heart and do not be very short of
    breath.

    Running fast uphill is OUT until you really know what you are doing.
    Jogging for 30-60 minutes is much safer.

    Where did I say for him to go running as fast as he can up a hill?
    Once again, you live up to your screen name.

    from http://www.stumptuous.com/fartlek.html

    ``Originally, as I said, fartlek was developed for runners. However,
    the principle of fartlek can be applied to a variety of chosen
    activities. Since with my crunchy knees I don't run unless a person
    with an axe is chasing me, I have to find other options. One of them
    is stair climbing. I have a long stone staircase near my house, and I
    just run up and down it, so that high intensity (up) is alternated
    with lower intensity (down). Simple, but a very effective use of 20
    minutes. If you live in an apartment building and don't feel like
    going to the gym one day, just take on the stairs in your building.''

    that is equivalent to running fast uphill and can easily kill an
    untrained person.

    I know exactly what is running upstairs. I used to do it with a 12
    story building situated next to where I lived.

    The intensity of this is absolutely unbelievable and I remember that
    it got my pulse to 190-200 or even higher. It then produced a great
    feeling for the day, but it is not for everyone.

    Some advice that I read about this high intensity training is not
    suitable for anyone but the most advanced runners.

    My suggestion to beginning dieters/trainees is that you should get
    comfortable with relatively slow running.

    i
    223/185/180

  3. Ignoramus1467 said:


    that is equivalent to running fast uphill and can easily kill an
    untrained person.

    I know exactly what is running upstairs. I used to do it with a 12
    story building situated next to where I lived.

    The intensity of this is absolutely unbelievable and I remember that
    it got my pulse to 190-200 or even higher. It then produced a great
    feeling for the day, but it is not for everyone.

    Some advice that I read about this high intensity training is not
    suitable for anyone but the most advanced runners.

    My suggestion to beginning dieters/trainees is that you should get
    comfortable with relatively slow running.

    You neglected to read the rest of the aricle and programs. Many
    interval training programs start at a "beginner" level. That could
    easily be alternating between walking and walking faster.

    When I started I couldn't run more than .1 mile without having to
    return to a walking pace.

    Ya know ignoranus, you should take your blinders off for a little
    while and look around at the alternatives out there. Your way is not
    the ONLY way. Mine is not either - which is why YMMV is used so
    often in here. You only can enrich yourself further if you take the
    blinders off and look/listen to what others have to say.

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, Jayjay

    Quoted message said:
    Ignoramus1467 said:


    that is equivalent to running fast uphill and can easily kill an
    untrained person.

    I know exactly what is running upstairs. I used to do it with a 12
    story building situated next to where I lived.

    The intensity of this is absolutely unbelievable and I remember that
    it got my pulse to 190-200 or even higher. It then produced a great
    feeling for the day, but it is not for everyone.

    Some advice that I read about this high intensity training is not
    suitable for anyone but the most advanced runners.

    My suggestion to beginning dieters/trainees is that you should get
    comfortable with relatively slow running.

    You neglected to read the rest of the aricle and programs. Many
    interval training programs start at a "beginner" level. That could
    easily be alternating between walking and walking faster.

    When I started I couldn't run more than .1 mile without having to
    return to a walking pace.

    Ya know ignoranus, you should take your blinders off for a little
    while and look around at the alternatives out there. Your way is not
    the ONLY way. Mine is not either - which is why YMMV is used so
    often in here. You only can enrich yourself further if you take the
    blinders off and look/listen to what others have to say.

    In the immortal words of R& P

    "Amen sister"!

  5. It seems to me I heard somewhere that Ignoramus1467 wrote in article
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Jayjay wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On 26 Aug 2003 14:54:39 GMT, Ignoramus1467
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I would also ignore her advice and suggest that unless you are very
    well trained, do not strain your heart and do not be very short of
    breath.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Running fast uphill is OUT until you really know what you are doing.
    Jogging for 30-60 minutes is much safer.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Where did I say for him to go running as fast as he can up a hill?
    Once again, you live up to your screen name.

    Quoted message said:

    from http://www.stumptuous.com/fartlek.html

    Quoted message said:

    ``Originally, as I said, fartlek was developed for runners. However,
    the principle of fartlek can be applied to a variety of chosen
    activities. Since with my crunchy knees I don't run unless a person
    with an axe is chasing me, I have to find other options. One of them
    is stair climbing. I have a long stone staircase near my house, and I
    just run up and down it, so that high intensity (up) is alternated
    with lower intensity (down). Simple, but a very effective use of 20
    minutes. If you live in an apartment building and don't feel like
    going to the gym one day, just take on the stairs in your building.''

    Assuming this is quoted from Jayjay's site:

    That isn't fartlek, which is literally "speed play." Fartlek is a
    variation on interval training, with both the pace and the distance
    being free-style at the runner's whim. I'm not sure how one could apply
    that to running up stairs.

    Running stairs instead of going to the gym is simple substitution of
    routines, not altering the parameters of one's usual routine.

    Hills are very hard on some runners' knees and legs.
    --
    Don
    [email hidden]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.