UK and Europe · Public discussion

Re: Helmet Poll: First Hand Experience

Started by jtaylor · · Last activity · 267 posts · 3,449 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
10 May 2006
Last activity
30 July 2006
Original author
jtaylor
Posts
267
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,449
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 267
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Sorni said:

    "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:

    The number of cyclists has risen
    dramatically in this area over the past 3-4 years,
    and almost everyone
    uses a helmet. Go figure!

    Quoted message said:

    It's marketing. They're Lance Armstrong wannabes.

    So getting lots of new people* into cycling is a bad thing?

    I couldn't care what they wear, but if they are the sort of people who
    hoot at you and tell you to get off the road, as the drive past with
    their bikes on the back heading for a 'cycle trail' then I am not sure
    they are not adding to the problem.

    What is needed is more people using bikes for the everyday short
    transport trip rather than for special dress up in fancy clothes and
    ride a $$$$$ bike in a sporting activity. Cycling needs to be seen as
    an everyday normal activity, not as a specialised recreation.

    ...d

  2. 41 said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:

    jtaylor wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> Would this have anything to do with the fact that you
    >> deliberately excluded instances where the result would have been
    >> negative?
    >
    > Do you mean the "I wasn't wearing a helmet and I didn't hit my
    > head, but if I had been wearing a helmet, I would ha ve hit my
    > head" claptrap?
    >

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Why do you call instances like those "claptrap"?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Are you denying that they occur?

    Okay, your turn: tell everyone how you would determine that while you
    didn't hit your head while not wearing a helmet, you know you would
    have hit your head, in the same incident, if you were wearing a
    helmet. And, please, be precise.

    I already did just that in earlier threads. I described a high speed,
    hard fall where I did not hit my head at all, but where the mark on
    the top of my shoulder (which I still have, almost two years later)
    proves that I hit the pavement almost exactly adjacent to my skull.
    Had I been wearing a helmet, which projects out what- you tell me how
    much, anything would have been enough- from the surface of my skull,
    I would have suffered an impact, and at a bad angle which would have
    swung my head around like a tether ball. No thanks.


    <AOL>
    I have also done that.
    --
    Ambrose

  3. David Martin said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:
    Richard said:

    Ozark Bicycle wrote:

    >I have no vested interest in a helmet
    >debate.

    Yet you claim to run a bike repair business. Promotion of helmets leads
    to reduced numbers cycling, which leads to reduced business for you.
    So, unless you are completely disinterested in the viability or
    otherwise of your business, I suggest you do in fact have a vested
    interest. I just find it peculiar as to why you should wish to run
    your own business into the ground by promoting helmets.

    What kinda weed you been smoking, Gunga Din? IMO, helmets are
    inexpensive (unless one is a sucker),

    but non free

    Quoted message said:

    unobtrusive

    Hardly - helmet hair, sweat, heatstroke, somewhere to put the
    *&*&^&^$%£$%^*ing thing when you get to your destination.

    Quoted message said:

    and offer a positive,
    if small, degree of added protection.

    Not according to whole population studies they don't.

    Quoted message said:

    The number of cyclists has risen
    dramatically in this area over the past 3-4 years, and almost everyone
    uses a helmet. Go figure!

    And how many are utility cyclists or are they just follwoing the latest
    sporting trends for recreation?
    How many kids cycle to school or the shops?
    The utility cyclists are the ones hit hardest by helmet overpromotion.
    It makes little odds if you are already getting changed to go cycling,
    a helmet is part of the dressing up routine. Bit different if you are
    just wanting to nip down to the shops, or go out for the evening, where
    'special clothing' is not really the done thing, just get on and go.

    In the sport culture, helmets are part of the uniform. In utility
    cycling, they are an inconvenience.

    ..d

    Just like getting into a car and putting on your seat belt, and sitting
    behind the colapsable steering wheel with the airbags, and the crumple
    zone.
    Is it really THAT hard?

  4. "Friday" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    In the sport culture, helmets are part of the uniform. In utility
    cycling, they are an inconvenience.

    Just like getting into a car and putting on your seat belt, and sitting
    behind the colapsable steering wheel with the airbags, and the crumple
    zone.
    Is it really THAT hard?

    Yes. When I get into my car, the seatbelt is there. I can put it on while
    waiting for other bits of the car to start. When I arrive at my destination,
    the seatbelt stays inside the car.

    When I go somewhere by bike, putting a helmet on is extra inconvenience,
    riding with it is not as nice as without, and storing it while at my
    destination is a problem.

    You haven't really thought this through, have you?

    clive

  5. Friday said:

    Just like getting into a car and putting on your seat belt, and sitting
    behind the colapsable steering wheel with the airbags, and the crumple
    zone.

    No it isn't: driving a car has all the power come from the car and the
    extra weight is a non-issue. Because I only have to make small upper
    body movements the restrictions of a seatbelt are minimal.
    OTOH cycling on a hot, humid day with a polystyrene box on my head is a
    major drag.
    I /can/ do it, I did every cycling trip for over a decade before I
    started reading the research. Now I don't, and I'm a lot more
    comfortable and less inconvenienced as a result.

    Beyond which there is no really good evidence it actually does anything
    worth my while, unlike a seat belt (and that's before we get into risk
    compensation territory).

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  6. Clive George said:

    "Friday" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    In the sport culture, helmets are part of the uniform. In utility
    cycling, they are an inconvenience.

    Just like getting into a car and putting on your seat belt, and
    sitting behind the colapsable steering wheel with the airbags, and
    the crumple zone.
    Is it really THAT hard?

    Yes. When I get into my car, the seatbelt is there. I can put it on
    while waiting for other bits of the car to start. When I arrive at my
    destination, the seatbelt stays inside the car.

    When I go somewhere by bike, putting a helmet on is extra
    inconvenience, riding with it is not as nice as without, and storing
    it while at my destination is a problem.

    You haven't really thought this through, have you?

    Shoelaces are a real pain in the ass, too. Most people have learned to
    adapt to and accept it. Others just wear flipflops with their tuxedos.

    PRETTY SOON THERE MIGHT BE MANDATORY SHOELACE LAWS! THIS MUST BE STOPPED!

  7. "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > In the sport culture, helmets are part of the uniform. In utility
    > cycling, they are an inconvenience.

    Just like getting into a car and putting on your seat belt, and
    sitting behind the colapsable steering wheel with the airbags, and
    the crumple zone.
    Is it really THAT hard?

    Yes. When I get into my car, the seatbelt is there. I can put it on
    while waiting for other bits of the car to start. When I arrive at my
    destination, the seatbelt stays inside the car.

    When I go somewhere by bike, putting a helmet on is extra
    inconvenience, riding with it is not as nice as without, and storing
    it while at my destination is a problem.

    You haven't really thought this through, have you?

    Shoelaces are a real pain in the ass, too. Most people have learned to
    adapt to and accept it. Others just wear flipflops with their tuxedos.

    PRETTY SOON THERE MIGHT BE MANDATORY SHOELACE LAWS! THIS MUST BE STOPPED!

    Y'know, this really isn't helping your argument one bit. Would a fair
    summary of your position be that you think helmets are a good thing, and
    can't be bothered to look any further than that?

    clive

  8. Clive George said:

    "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> In the sport culture, helmets are part of the uniform. In utility
    >> cycling, they are an inconvenience.
    >
    > Just like getting into a car and putting on your seat belt, and
    > sitting behind the colapsable steering wheel with the airbags, and
    > the crumple zone.
    > Is it really THAT hard?

    Yes. When I get into my car, the seatbelt is there. I can put it on
    while waiting for other bits of the car to start. When I arrive at
    my destination, the seatbelt stays inside the car.

    When I go somewhere by bike, putting a helmet on is extra
    inconvenience, riding with it is not as nice as without, and storing
    it while at my destination is a problem.

    You haven't really thought this through, have you?

    Shoelaces are a real pain in the ass, too. Most people have learned
    to adapt to and accept it. Others just wear flipflops with their
    tuxedos. PRETTY SOON THERE MIGHT BE MANDATORY SHOELACE LAWS! THIS MUST
    BE
    STOPPED!

    Y'know, this really isn't helping your argument one bit.

    Neither is whining that a helmet is inconvenient helping yours.

    Quoted message said:

    Would a fair
    summary of your position be that you think helmets are a good thing,
    and can't be bothered to look any further than that?

    For the type of cycling that I do, yes I think wearing a helmet is a smart
    thing to do. Sorry you find that so objectionable.

  9. "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Clive George said:

    "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    >>> In the sport culture, helmets are part of the uniform. In utility
    >>> cycling, they are an inconvenience.
    >>
    >> Just like getting into a car and putting on your seat belt, and
    >> sitting behind the colapsable steering wheel with the airbags, and
    >> the crumple zone.
    >> Is it really THAT hard?
    >
    > Yes. When I get into my car, the seatbelt is there. I can put it on
    > while waiting for other bits of the car to start. When I arrive at
    > my destination, the seatbelt stays inside the car.
    >
    > When I go somewhere by bike, putting a helmet on is extra
    > inconvenience, riding with it is not as nice as without, and storing
    > it while at my destination is a problem.
    >
    > You haven't really thought this through, have you?

    Shoelaces are a real pain in the ass, too. Most people have learned
    to adapt to and accept it. Others just wear flipflops with their
    tuxedos. PRETTY SOON THERE MIGHT BE MANDATORY SHOELACE LAWS! THIS MUST
    BE
    STOPPED!

    Y'know, this really isn't helping your argument one bit.

    Neither is whining that a helmet is inconvenient helping yours.

    Not whining. It's a very important part of my argument. Inconvenience and
    comfort are the primary reasons I don't wear one.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Would a fair
    summary of your position be that you think helmets are a good thing,
    and can't be bothered to look any further than that?

    For the type of cycling that I do, yes I think wearing a helmet is a smart
    thing to do. Sorry you find that so objectionable.

    Do you want to answer the other part of my question?

    clive

  10. "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    For the type of cycling that I do, yes I think wearing a helmet is a smart
    thing to do.

    Why?

  11. jtaylor said:

    "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    For the type of cycling that I do, yes I think wearing a helmet is a
    smart thing to do.

    Why?

    Because it brings out the gold flecks in my eyes.

  12. Sorni said:
    jtaylor said:

    "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    For the type of cycling that I do, yes I think wearing a helmet is a
    smart thing to do.

    Why?

    Because it brings out the gold flecks in my eyes.

    And all the population studies prove gold flecks lower risk and
    increase safety. ;-)

  13. "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    jtaylor said:

    "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    For the type of cycling that I do, yes I think wearing a helmet is a
    smart thing to do.

    Why?

    Because it brings out the gold flecks in my eyes.

    So, not for any reason related to safety.

  14. Ozark,

    you haven't voted in the "new helmet poll" thread. Any particular reason
    why not?

    "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Sorni said:
    jtaylor said:

    "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    >
    > For the type of cycling that I do, yes I think wearing a helmet is a
    > smart thing to do.

    Why?

    Because it brings out the gold flecks in my eyes.

    And all the population studies prove gold flecks lower risk and
    increase safety. ;-)

  15. Burt said:

    Ozark,

    you haven't voted in the "new helmet poll" thread. Any particular reason
    why not?

    Probably because you only posted it to urc and Ozark is reading rbt.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    "There is a wicked pretense that one has been informed. But no
    such thing has truly occurred! A mere slogan, an empty litany.
    No arguments are heard, no evidence is weighed. It isn't news at
    all, only a source of amusement for idlers." (Gibson-Sterling,
    The Difference Engine)

  16. Burt said:

    Ozark,

    you haven't voted in the "new helmet poll" thread. Any particular reason
    why not?

    "New helmet poll"? Do you mean this one, or something else?

  17. Don Whybrow said:
    Burt said:

    Ozark,

    you haven't voted in the "new helmet poll" thread. Any particular reason
    why not?

    Probably because you only posted it to urc and Ozark is reading rbt.

    --

    Ya think?

  18. Clive George said:

    "Friday" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    [about wearing helmet] Is it really THAT hard?

    Yes. When I get into my car, the seatbelt is there. I can put it on while
    waiting for other bits of the car to start. When I arrive at my destination,
    the seatbelt stays inside the car.

    When I go somewhere by bike, putting a helmet on is extra inconvenience,
    riding with it is not as nice as without, and storing it while at my
    destination is a problem.

    Plus if you ride vigorously and sweat it needs to be cleaned. I
    finally started using multiple helmets (not all at once) so I have a
    clean one ready.

    But it's not *very* hard to deal with -- just an inconvenience. So I
    look at the helment proponents this way: if they say "I use one
    whenever I can because it might help and it's not so hard for me" I
    think "Cool."

    But if they say "I always where one" or "I never ride without one" I
    think "Theyre an idiot." Seriously. If you can't conceive of a
    situation where you might ride without one (forgot helmet, it's very
    dirty, etc) you've got a problem. If you wouldn't get on your bike
    because you don't have a helmet with you, you've got a problem.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  19. 41 said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Okay, your turn: tell everyone how you would determine that while you
    > didn't hit your head while not wearing a helmet, you know you would
    > have hit your head, in the same incident, if you were wearing a helmet.
    > And, please, be precise.

    IOW, you can not provide an example, can you? You are pulling this
    stuff out of your ass.

    I told you and provided exactly this precise example, but you chose to
    ignore it.

    There was nothing to comment on. All sorts of strange [censored] happens in
    accidents : sounds like you were lucky because you didnt have a helment
    - thank your lucky stars! In the same way that the woman who reversed
    into the harbour was glad that she didnt have her seatbelt on. Doesnt
    really alter the general truth though.

    Thankfully laws arent made based on statistical anomalies.

  20. Hadron Quark said:

    There was nothing to comment on. All sorts of strange [censored] happens in
    accidents : sounds like you were lucky because you didnt have a helment
    - thank your lucky stars! In the same way that the woman who reversed
    into the harbour was glad that she didnt have her seatbelt on. Doesnt
    really alter the general truth though.

    While it is generally accepted that in A Given Crash in a car you're on
    balance much better off in a seatbelt, there's no such degree of
    consensus concerning cycle helmets.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.