Re: Helmet Poll: First Hand Experience

"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paul Murphy wrote:
>>"John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>
>>> In this discussion, he's also been far more factually/logically
>>> correct than you.

>>I (and many proper debaters) consider aggressive, scarcastic responses to
>>be
>>a negative point though, this would mean his score is well into the
>>negatives. In terms of the responses to me he's been so illogical that
>>some
>>of his posts can't be understood/don't even make sense. Until I start
>>seeing
>>less aggression and more "thought out" responses there's no way he has my
>>vote.

> He's not appealing for a popularity vote, he's pointing out facts to you.

Votes can be awarded for reasons other than popularity, when you think of
some of today's politicians its just as well for them. We disagree by and
large on the second part of your post.

Paul

> Paul Murphy wrote:
>> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> Paul, these guys don't actually consider the /meaning/ of what's
>>> said or written -- and God knows not the /context/ -- it's enough
>>> for them to know what "side" you're on and then attack relentlessly
>>> (and often rudely and unfairly) based solely on that.

>> Just as long as we (and others) are aware thats often the case.

> Something occurred to me earlier today: no one (other than the handful of
> us miscreant participants) is reading this drivel anyway. Eventually the
> bullies will win (by wearing us down and outlasting us due to sheer
> numbers), but it's meaningless so no big loss.
>
> Meanwhile, it's fun to tweak their noses and make weird sounds to
> aggravate 'em...
>
> BS (really)

I wouldn't go that far, that would just be encouragement for some people.
The sheer numbers bit doesn't work with me, just like bullying (as long as I
can find time to deal with the responses).

Paul

news:p[email protected]...
> Paul Murphy wrote (of Damnitall but applies to many AHZs):
>
>> Yet again... we disagree. So what now? Are you going to say I'm wrong
>> again or be aggressive and if so, what good will that do and what
>> would you hope to achieve?

> It's not enough to express disagreement, Paul. They have to show their
> (self- and loudly proclaimed) superiority by belittling and trying to
> embarrass you. It's good to see you not roll over and just take it, as
> it's what they're counting on you doing.

Most mature people will realise those things aren't the signs of a person
winning an argument. In the end I/we cant force people to change their
views, only encourage them to do so with reasons. If that fails and
entreched arguments have set in, then I know of no other way than
disagreeing (and perhaps coming back to it after time out).

>> Please understand this in return, about the only things I have to do
>> is die (eventually) and pay taxes (unless I move to some far off
>> place), I dont have to suggest or explain anything. If you ask me
>> nicely, in a non-patronising way, I may choose to respond differently
>> however.

> Cold day in hell, but it /could/ happen. (Not with Damnitall though.)

I never say never... oops.

Paul

In article <[email protected]>, Sorni wrote:

>Something occurred to me earlier today: no one (other than the handful of
>us miscreant participants) is reading this drivel anyway.

Some of us look in occasionally to see if you are still posting the
same drivel, without reading the whole thread.

> Eventually the
>bullies will win (by wearing us down and outlasting us due to sheer
>numbers)

Wrong pronoun. And while your determination to go on posting the same
drivel while simultaneously claiming not to take it seriously and to
prefer riding is quite astonishing, if you do outlast everybody, who's
going to notice that you have "won" anyway?

In article <J4A*[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Quoting Espressopithecus (Java Man) <[email protected]>:
> >[email protected] says...
> >>You haven't answered this question. Please do so.

> Is there some reason you are evading this question?

Is there some reason you're evading the questions I've asked you?

> >>I'd still like to see your hypothetical risk distribution - which, you'll
> >>notice (if you comprehend the challenge), does not have to be reasonable.
> >>It can be as extreme as you like.

> >Now, you ask me to construct a hypothetical risk distribution for
> >helmets *saving lives*.

> No, I'm asking you to construct a risk distribution where helmets often
> help but also often provide a disbenefit, since you speculated that that
> might be the case.
>
> >As I'm sure you know, fatal head injuries to
> >cyclists are a very small subset of all head injuries to cyclists.

> Waaait, so actually, all the speculation has nothing to do with fatal
> injuries, and you're down to scrapes and bruises? If that's just an
> objection to "often", well, that can be "often in the case of potentially
> fatal incidents" if you like.

OK, so let's add to your list of evasions. You also attribute "straw
man" arguments to others.

> [Yes, there are serious non-fatal brain injuries in between - much beloved
> of the pro-helmet types, of course, because they aren't as rigidly
> examined as deaths and don't admit of as unequivocal an assessment (ie,
> you're either dead or you're not). But I hope we can agree that any
> significant effect on those would also produce some significant effect on
> fatalies.]

What we can agree on is that I'll answer your questions after you prove
you're paying attention by answering mine. Go back through our
exchanges, pull my questions out, and post your answers. Only then will
I humour your request.

Rick

"Espressopithecus

> What we can agree on is that I'll answer your questions after you prove
> you're paying attention by answering mine. Go back through our
> exchanges, pull my questions out, and post your answers. Only then will
> I humour your request.

Please don't bother. Please.

Quoting Paul Murphy <[email protected]>:
>"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>That I am being sarcastic doesn't make you any less wrong.

>I'm glad you're not attempting to deny your scarcastic attitude issues. It
>would make it easier to respect you if you were assertive here rather than
>aggressive/hostile.

Who cares if you respect me? What matters is that you can't present a
coherent argument. That is why you are mounting this digression into
discussing the nature of the discourse rather than actually addressing the
point.

> I've already mentioned "we disagree" nothing more needs to be said.

We disagree, and I am right. You have completely failed to illustrate any
reason to suppose you don't risk compensate.
Today is Sunday, June - a weekend.

Quoting Paul Murphy <[email protected]>:
>"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>However, when you don't have any actual information on what those
>>abnormalities are, it's absurd to leap to the conclusion that there must
>>be some very specific abnormality that happens to suit oneself. Like not
>>risk compensating.

>So its OK for you to use statistics on your side but I cant on mine?

Feel free to produce some. By which I don't mean "make them up".

>>>What makes you think that my level of self knowledge is the same as those
>>>who are wrong?

>>There's absolutely no reason to suppose it's not. What makes you suppose
>>my level of having won the lottery is the same as almost everyone else's?

>Even if I wanted to go into that further (which I dont particularly want to
>as its way OTT) that doesn't make sense.

Your limited comprehension is not my problem. You _would_ be quite right
to suppose that; I am quite right to suppose you risk compensate.
Today is Sunday, June - a weekend.

Quoting Paul Murphy <[email protected]>:
>"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>He's not appealing for a popularity vote, he's pointing out facts to you.

>Votes can be awarded for reasons other than popularity, when you think of
>some of today's politicians its just as well for them.

Is there any chance you could resist the urge to spout the first thing
that comes into your head? Your snappy comebacks aren't even snappy.

Quoting David Damerell <[email protected]>:
>No, I'm asking you to construct a risk distribution where helmets often
>help but also often provide a disbenefit, since you speculated that that
>might be the case.

.... but he can't do it. Finished now.
Today is Sunday, June - a weekend.

Quoting Paul Murphy <[email protected]>:
>"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>Quoting Paul Murphy <[email protected]>:
>>>In that case you wont mind if I disassociate myself (note this doesn't
>>>mean disagree) from other groups. Its not up to me to explain other peoples
>>>behaviour.

>>Yes, it is. If you assert that all experts have their biases and therefore
>>can be dismissed, it _is_ incumbent on you to explain how people with a
>>pro-helmet bias reached an anti-helmet conclusion!

>Yet again... we disagree. So what now?

Well, now you are left with an inconsistent position. Obviously the
assertion about all experts having their biases is unsupportable and if
you were able to follow the logic you would be compelled to withdraw it.

>Well the way you transcribed it into the post I responded to, there weren't
>the same indentations as here. I followed what appeared to be your words in
>your post.

Completely missing the fact that it was a recap and that who wrote each
portion was clearly marked. No surprise there.

>Just to clear this up now are you now saying you're not accusing
>me of having an agenda after all?

All the uses of the word "agenda" in this subthread have been to describe
the various experts, not you. How do you expect to discuss something if
you don't even understand the articles?

>>>Why is it nonsense given that I was asking a question?

>>Because the implication is a ridiculous and insulting one.

>Only if you believe there's anything wrong with what I said.

The only way I can parse that is that you _are_ suggesting that all the
experts started secretly opposed to helmets.

>>>If you believe all experts are right, all the time, that then we disagree.

>>Who says I do?

>Hence the "If".

Why bring it up? There's never been any reason to suppose I believe that!

>>The point is - again, and do try to understand this time -
>>that to explain the people who started pro-biased and finished anti- with
>>this question, you have to suggest they _all_ had a hidden agenda.

>Please understand this in return, about the only things I have to do is die
>(eventually) and pay taxes (unless I move to some far off place), I dont
>have to suggest or explain anything.

God, can anyone be so stupid? _If_ you wish to advance the explanation you
did for the behaviour of all experts, it has to _apply_ to all experts. I
cannot make this any simpler.

>>>See all my other previous post details - I questioned whether this can be
>>>totally ruled out and so far no-one is willing to do this (including
>>>yourself).

>>Because it's completely irrelevant to explaining the bulk of such people
>>unless you are willing to apply this insulting implication to all of them.

>Black and white thinking.

Another kneejerk piece of rhetoric. You can't avoid the point; you haven't
explained the bulk of the experts.

>>Personally it seems an utterly demented suggestion but even if it were
>>correct it would not get us closer to explaining away the bulk of people
>>who reached a conclusion opposite their bias.

>But the point is nobody can explain why everyone has come to their
>individual conclusions without knowing all those people.

We could, quite reasonably, conclude that the people who say that they
read the literature and realised helmets were useless... actually, in
general, read the literature and realised helmets were useless.

>I cant see why
>"utterly demented" comes into it unless you just want to be aggressive again
>for the sake of it.

It's a ridiculous conspiracy theory! You might as well suggest Tony Raven
concluded helmets were useless because the little goblins in his shoes
told him so.
Today is Sunday, June - a weekend.

In article <-5A*[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Quoting David Damerell <[email protected]>:
> >No, I'm asking you to construct a risk distribution where helmets often
> >help but also often provide a disbenefit, since you speculated that that
> >might be the case.

> ... but he can't do it. Finished now.

I can, but I won't until you answer my questions.

Rick

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:w5k*[email protected]...
> Quoting Paul Murphy <[email protected]>:
>>"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>That I am being sarcastic doesn't make you any less wrong.

>>I'm glad you're not attempting to deny your scarcastic attitude issues. It
>>would make it easier to respect you if you were assertive here rather than
>>aggressive/hostile.

> Who cares if you respect me?

You're welcome to not care about whether you are respected but I put it to
you that part of presenting an argument effectively, is to do so in a way
that earns the respect of those to be "convinced".

> What matters is that you can't present a
> coherent argument. That is why you are mounting this digression into
> discussing the nature of the discourse rather than actually addressing the
> point.

I can't see why you would think that, certainly if you believe your argument
is strong enough, I cant see the need to be aggressive.

>> I've already mentioned "we disagree" nothing more needs to be said.

> We disagree, and I am right. You have completely failed to illustrate any
> reason to suppose you don't risk compensate.

We disagree, and I am right. You have completely failed to illustrate any
reason to as to why I must prove anything. Do you think that further
discourse would be beneficial?

Paul

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:cnn*[email protected]...
> Quoting Paul Murphy <[email protected]>:
>>"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>However, when you don't have any actual information on what those
>>>abnormalities are, it's absurd to leap to the conclusion that there must
>>>be some very specific abnormality that happens to suit oneself. Like not
>>>risk compensating.

>>So its OK for you to use statistics on your side but I cant on mine?

> Feel free to produce some. By which I don't mean "make them up".

It's something I've learnt "along the way" and I thought it was fairly
common knowledge. If you dispute it your welcome to say so but it doesn't
mean I've "made up" stats. Are you saying you've never heard this before and
don't believe it?

>>>There's absolutely no reason to suppose it's not. What makes you suppose
>>>my level of having won the lottery is the same as almost everyone else's?

>>Even if I wanted to go into that further (which I dont particularly want
>>as its way OTT) that doesn't make sense.

> Your limited comprehension is not my problem. You _would_ be quite right
> to suppose that; I am quite right to suppose you risk compensate.

What makes you think the problem is with my comprehension and not your
post - or are you admitting you'r post doesn't make sense? I agree that I do
risk compensate (never said I didn't at all) - just not with regards to
cycle helmets so the anti helmet people cant rely on that line of argument
with this one "drop in the ocean" individual.

Paul

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:lSg*[email protected]...
> Quoting Paul Murphy <[email protected]>:
>>>Yes, it is. If you assert that all experts have their biases and
>>>therefore
>>>can be dismissed, it _is_ incumbent on you to explain how people with a
>>>pro-helmet bias reached an anti-helmet conclusion!

>>Yet again... we disagree. So what now?

> Well, now you are left with an inconsistent position. Obviously the
> assertion about all experts having their biases is unsupportable and if
> you were able to follow the logic you would be compelled to withdraw it.

Please state where *I've* made that *assertion* - I can see plenty of places
where you've attempted to get me to do so. Its not something I will be
getting into.

>>Well the way you transcribed it into the post I responded to, there
>>weren't
>>the same indentations as here. I followed what appeared to be your words
>>in
>>your post.

> Completely missing the fact that it was a recap and that who wrote each
> portion was clearly marked. No surprise there.

I disagree, it wasn't clear to me and certainly the subsequent (changed and
indented) post you made (for whatever reason) afterwards had this corrected.
Was that coincidence?

>>Just to clear this up now are you now saying you're not accusing
>>me of having an agenda after all?

> All the uses of the word "agenda" in this subthread have been to describe
> the various experts, not you. How do you expect to discuss something if
> you don't even understand the articles?

A follow-on from the unclear post referred to above. Glad to know you're not
accusing me of having an agenda.

>>>Because the implication is a ridiculous and insulting one.

>>Only if you believe there's anything wrong with what I said.

> The only way I can parse that is that you _are_ suggesting that all the
> experts started secretly opposed to helmets.

That may be how you interpreted it but I disagree that I *suggested* that.

>>>Who says I do?

>>Hence the "If".

> Why bring it up? There's never been any reason to suppose I believe that!

Lets clear it up then - are you saying you don't believe that? If so then
you will see the relevance of my question a few posts up "No - but are you
100% certain that this doesn't occur at all?"

>>>The point is - again, and do try to understand this time -
>>>that to explain the people who started pro-biased and finished anti- with
>>>this question, you have to suggest they _all_ had a hidden agenda.

>>Please understand this in return, about the only things I have to do is
>>die
>>(eventually) and pay taxes (unless I move to some far off place), I dont
>>have to suggest or explain anything.

> God, can anyone be so stupid?

I'm sorry you feel the need to adopt this line. Please remember that I will
be more likely to co-operate if language used takes the carrot rather than
stick approach.

> _If_ you wish to advance the explanation you
> did for the behaviour of all experts, it has to _apply_ to all experts. I
> cannot make this any simpler.

Please show me my "explanation" above, this is not something I have offered.

>>>Because it's completely irrelevant to explaining the bulk of such people
>>>unless you are willing to apply this insulting implication to all of
>>>them.

>>Black and white thinking.

> Another kneejerk piece of rhetoric. You can't avoid the point; you haven't
> explained the bulk of the experts.

Still not ruled it out. See above re "explanation".

>>>Personally it seems an utterly demented suggestion but even if it were
>>>correct it would not get us closer to explaining away the bulk of people
>>>who reached a conclusion opposite their bias.

>>But the point is nobody can explain why everyone has come to their
>>individual conclusions without knowing all those people.

> We could, quite reasonably, conclude that the people who say that they
> read the literature and realised helmets were useless... actually, in
> general, read the literature and realised helmets were useless.

I hope you're not speaking for me with that "we".

>>I cant see why
>>"utterly demented" comes into it unless you just want to be aggressive
>>again
>>for the sake of it.

> It's a ridiculous conspiracy theory!

I've never thought that, who do you believe is conspiring and why?

>You might as well suggest Tony Raven
> concluded helmets were useless because the little goblins in his shoes
> told him so.

That's not my style.

Paul

David Damerell a écrit :
> assertion about all experts having their biases is unsupportable and if
> you were able to follow the logic you would be compelled to withdraw it.

Grow up - "experts" are commodities at a high rate of currency per kilogram.
Except, of course, in your lexicon, where they are only expert if they
agree with you.
--
Banzai !

Sandy