Re: Help spend my refund check

RonSonic

Guest
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:04:48 -0400, Strayhorn <[email protected]> wrote:

>When last we met, I was looking for help in putting a new freewheel on
>the mid-80s Raleigh Super Course I found at a yard sale. I ended up
>getting a Shimano Mega-7 (14-28) which has proven to be excellent in the
>hilly terrain I ride through.
>
>Saturday's mail brought a refund check - a whopping $250. Let's spend
>that on some further upgrades. I had a pair of Look 247 clipless pedals
>I had bought at a swap meet, so I've put those on the bike. I also had a
>better headset lying around, installed that. The original saddle was
>tattered, so it was replaced by a Performance Contour I got at their
>spring sale. And, of course, I have the new freewheel.
>
>So, let's think about new derailers front and rear, and some new
>brake/shifters.
>
>I was thinking of the Shimano SORA 7 brifters since they can be found as
>an upgrade kit for older bikes (includes the cables and cable stops for
>the downtube, etc) for around $130.

Hah, beat you to them. A couple months ago Bikeman.com had them listed on his
site for $69.95. I emailed him to see if this was for real, it was indeed a typo
and they immediately fixed the site, but did let me have 'em for that price.
Yeah me! Yeah bikeman! He now lists them for $105 I think.

>That means I need some derailers - anyone have suggestions of
>economical, dependable units for my setup? I'm sticking with the double
>crank, no real need to go to triple. So my needs are double crank,
>7-speed freewheel, economy. I do 10 miles a day during the week, 20-30
>miles a day on weekends averaging 13 MPH on hilly back roads. And I have
>about $150 to spend.

Anything from the SIS 7speed era on should work fine. My ancient 7s 105s shift
perfectly, though the front was a freeking pain to adjust. You'll need a rear
der that can handle that cogset so you'll probably need something with a long
cage.

>If you can think of a cheap way to upgrade the derailers and have a
>suggestion as to what to spend the balance on, I welcome all suggestions.

I'd target sales. Just be sure the rear der can handle your largest cog and can
wrap the total difference. Probably be a long cage tourer or MTB piece - hit the
online sales. Have you got stylish bar wrap and color coordinated cycling garb?
Helmet or at least an appropriate hat? Shoes? Would Fabrizio approve?

Ron

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 12:35:15 -0400, Strayhorn <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:04:48 -0400, Strayhorn <[email protected]> wrote:

><Usenet bris: spending my refund>
>
>I was thinking of the Shimano SORA 7 brifters since they can be found as
>> >an upgrade kit for older bikes (includes the cables and cable stops for
>> >the downtube, etc) for around $130.

>> Hah, beat you to them. A couple months ago Bikeman.com had them listed on his
>> site for $69.95. I emailed him to see if this was for real, it was indeed a
>> typo
>> and they immediately fixed the site, but did let me have 'em for that price.
>> Yeah me! Yeah bikeman! He now lists them for $105 I think.

>Curses! Well, the local Shimano dealer (Cycle Center in Durham) cut me a
>deal: $99 for the set. Not as cool as the $69, but no shipping either.
>

>> Anything from the SIS 7speed era on should work fine. My ancient 7s 105s
>> shift
>> perfectly, though the front was a freeking pain to adjust. You'll need a rear
>> der that can handle that cogset so you'll probably need something with a long
>> cage.

>Quality Bike Parts has some older derailers for 7s they were getting rid
>of for $24, Shimanos, but the model escapes me. Said they would handle
>the Mega7 hub with no problems.
>

>> Have you got stylish bar wrap and color coordinated cycling
>> garb?
>> Helmet or at least an appropriate hat? Shoes? Would Fabrizio approve?

>Alas, my bar wrap is standard dark gel from Profile. The local shop had
>their spring sale, $5 a box, so I bought several boxes not only for
>bikes but to wrap the handles of the chainsaws and axes I use for
>firewood. Saves my aching hands.
>
>Not only is my bar wrap unstylish, but my jersey and shorts are as well.
>I fully realize I should have some logo like "Volvo" or "US Postal
>Service" across my back but, well, I think I'll stick with hi-viz stuff.
>
>Fabrizio will have to look elsewhere for a date (not that there's
>anything wrong with that).

Sounds like you've got all the pieces coming together. Getting those brifters
dialed in was my first experience with the things, rear was easy, the front
tricky, once I got it sorted it's worked perfectly since. Really fun slamming a
double shift like I never could with DTs.

My personal shopping project will be a decent used cross-country bike for under
$500. Preliminary window shopping looks very promising.

Ron