Re: Here's a puzzle for all you snowbound folk

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Feb 24, 2005.

  1. "silangdon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]

    > Snowbound, bored at work, whatever. Kept me amused for a couple of
    > hours :)

    > "Oh, Wise Men, your king, the sultan, gathered you to show us all your
    > wisdom. The servants had put a box before everyone of you. All these
    > boxes are identical. Here, in my bag, I have twelve precious stones:
    > some of them are emeralds, the others are rubies. I invite everyone of
    > you to get out of this room, while I put one of these stones in his
    > box, so that everyone can see the others' stones, but he doesn't know
    > his own stone."

    > "Everyone of you saw the others' stones, but he doesn't know his own
    > stone. If you are wises indeed, and if you trust your mind and your
    > eyes, nothing prevent you to carry out my wish: all of you who have
    > emeralds, come here and put your box to the sultan's feet."

    Easy peasy.

    "You have an emerald. What do I have?"

    Tags:

  2. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    [email protected] composed the following;:
    > "silangdon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    >>
    >> Snowbound, bored at work, whatever. Kept me amused for a couple of
    >> hours :)

    >> "Oh, Wise Men, your king, the sultan, gathered you to show us all your
    >> wisdom. The servants had put a box before everyone of you. All these
    >> boxes are identical. Here, in my bag, I have twelve precious stones:
    >> some of them are emeralds, the others are rubies. I invite everyone of
    >> you to get out of this room, while I put one of these stones in his
    >> box, so that everyone can see the others' stones, but he doesn't know
    >> his own stone."

    >> "Everyone of you saw the others' stones, but he doesn't know his own
    >> stone. If you are wises indeed, and if you trust your mind and your
    >> eyes, nothing prevent you to carry out my wish: all of you who have
    >> emeralds, come here and put your box to the sultan's feet."

    > Easy peasy.
    >
    > "You have an emerald. What do I have?"

    Bzzzt "And we have to say that while all this hour, the Wises didn't say
    anything, they only thought"

    --
    Paul ...
    www.4x4prejudice.org