Re: Hooking the bike over the tailgate?

Ride-A-Lot

Guest
Marz wrote:
> Is it ok to hook bikes over the tailgate of my pickup? I saw a picture
> of this being done and wondered whether there's any major draw backs to
> it. Normally it's just me in the pickup so the bike gets the whole bed
> to itself. But I'm providing transport this weekend and I'm expecting
> to try and fit four bikes in the back. I thought if I just strap some
> foam over the tailgate edge, some more foam on the bed and drop off the
> back wheels, the bikes should fit nicely across the tailgate.
>
> There's no REI down here in Trinidad so getting a good bike rack is
> unlikely, plus my bike has a 20mm thru axle at the front and so QR type
> racks are also a no go.
>
> Cheers in advance for any advice.
>
> Laters,
>
> Marz

No REI in Trinidad? Savages!

Leave your back wheel on. You don't want to risk damaging the
drivetrain. If you hang the front wheels over the edge, then make sure
your bungee them into the truck.

A friend of mine made his own King Cobra type holders that bolt down to
his pickup bed. You could also order from REI online and they will ship
it to you.

The other think I have seen done is to buy the trays, put the wheel
clamps in front and back and mount them to two 2x4's that fit snuggly in
the bed. Then strap them down from the top.

Finally, you should be able to fit four bikes in the back of a pickup.
Just reverse each bike (face front, face back, face front, face back).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Why not put it inside the bed?

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

news:[email protected]...

Zilla wrote:
> Why not put it inside the bed?

Unfortunatly the bed's not long enough to stand a bike. It's a wee
Mazda B double cab with a 1530mm bed; if I lay my bike down in the bed
I the front wheel still sticks out over the tailgate.

Laters,

Marz

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> No REI in Trinidad? Savages!
>
> Leave your back wheel on. You don't want to risk damaging the
> drivetrain. If you hang the front wheels over the edge, then make sure
> your bungee them into the truck.

I was going to lay some 3 inch foam down in the bed of the truck to
cushion the drive train. I thought that leaving the rear wheels on
would have left the bikes at a funny angle over the tail gate.

No REI, no Target, no Wholefoods, no WestEndCycles (or any highend bike
shop). I think my time in Houston turned me into a convenience junky,
so sad. Plus I find my riding tempered by the fact that spare parts for
my bike can take 4 weeks or more to arrive.

Laters,

Marz

"Marz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Zilla wrote:
> > Why not put it inside the bed?

> Unfortunatly the bed's not long enough to stand a bike. It's a wee
> Mazda B double cab with a 1530mm bed; if I lay my bike down in the bed
> I the front wheel still sticks out over the tailgate.
>
> Laters,
>
> Marz

http://www.saris.com/products/traps.htm

Put one of these on a plank (2"x4" in the US)
to anchor your fork into. Will that work? I just
like having a bike somewhat "inside" a vehicle.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

Zilla wrote:
> "Marz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Zilla wrote:
>>
>>>Why not put it inside the bed?

>>Unfortunatly the bed's not long enough to stand a bike. It's a wee
>>Mazda B double cab with a 1530mm bed; if I lay my bike down in the bed
>>I the front wheel still sticks out over the tailgate.
>>
>>Laters,
>>
>>Marz
>>

> http://www.saris.com/products/traps.htm
>
> Put one of these on a plank (2"x4" in the US)
> to anchor your fork into. Will that work? I just
> like having a bike somewhat "inside" a vehicle.

Yep, many a pickup driver have done just that. Many years ago there
were ones that clamped to the rim of the bed. I found them to free up
more space in the bed for camping stuff.

Greg