Re: Hooking the bike over the tailgate?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ride-A-Lot, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Marz wrote:
    > Is it ok to hook bikes over the tailgate of my pickup? I saw a picture
    > of this being done and wondered whether there's any major draw backs to
    > it. Normally it's just me in the pickup so the bike gets the whole bed
    > to itself. But I'm providing transport this weekend and I'm expecting
    > to try and fit four bikes in the back. I thought if I just strap some
    > foam over the tailgate edge, some more foam on the bed and drop off the
    > back wheels, the bikes should fit nicely across the tailgate.
    >
    > There's no REI down here in Trinidad so getting a good bike rack is
    > unlikely, plus my bike has a 20mm thru axle at the front and so QR type
    > racks are also a no go.
    >
    > Cheers in advance for any advice.
    >
    > Laters,
    >
    > Marz

    No REI in Trinidad? Savages!

    Leave your back wheel on. You don't want to risk damaging the
    drivetrain. If you hang the front wheels over the edge, then make sure
    your bungee them into the truck.

    A friend of mine made his own King Cobra type holders that bolt down to
    his pickup bed. You could also order from REI online and they will ship
    it to you.

    The other think I have seen done is to buy the trays, put the wheel
    clamps in front and back and mount them to two 2x4's that fit snuggly in
    the bed. Then strap them down from the top.

    Finally, you should be able to fit four bikes in the back of a pickup.
    Just reverse each bike (face front, face back, face front, face back).

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

    Tags:

  2. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Why not put it inside the bed?

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Marz wrote:
    > > Is it ok to hook bikes over the tailgate of my pickup? I saw a picture
    > > of this being done and wondered whether there's any major draw backs to
    > > it. Normally it's just me in the pickup so the bike gets the whole bed
    > > to itself. But I'm providing transport this weekend and I'm expecting
    > > to try and fit four bikes in the back. I thought if I just strap some
    > > foam over the tailgate edge, some more foam on the bed and drop off the
    > > back wheels, the bikes should fit nicely across the tailgate.
    > >
    > > There's no REI down here in Trinidad so getting a good bike rack is
    > > unlikely, plus my bike has a 20mm thru axle at the front and so QR type
    > > racks are also a no go.
    > >
    > > Cheers in advance for any advice.
    > >
    > > Laters,
    > >
    > > Marz
    > >

    > No REI in Trinidad? Savages!
    >
    > Leave your back wheel on. You don't want to risk damaging the
    > drivetrain. If you hang the front wheels over the edge, then make sure
    > your bungee them into the truck.
    >
    > A friend of mine made his own King Cobra type holders that bolt down to
    > his pickup bed. You could also order from REI online and they will ship
    > it to you.
    >
    > The other think I have seen done is to buy the trays, put the wheel
    > clamps in front and back and mount them to two 2x4's that fit snuggly in
    > the bed. Then strap them down from the top.
    >
    > Finally, you should be able to fit four bikes in the back of a pickup.
    > Just reverse each bike (face front, face back, face front, face back).
    >
    > --
    > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    > www.schnauzers.ws

  3. Marz

    Marz Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > Why not put it inside the bed?

    Unfortunatly the bed's not long enough to stand a bike. It's a wee
    Mazda B double cab with a 1530mm bed; if I lay my bike down in the bed
    I the front wheel still sticks out over the tailgate.

    Laters,

    Marz

  4. Marz

    Marz Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > No REI in Trinidad? Savages!
    >
    > Leave your back wheel on. You don't want to risk damaging the
    > drivetrain. If you hang the front wheels over the edge, then make sure
    > your bungee them into the truck.

    I was going to lay some 3 inch foam down in the bed of the truck to
    cushion the drive train. I thought that leaving the rear wheels on
    would have left the bikes at a funny angle over the tail gate.

    No REI, no Target, no Wholefoods, no WestEndCycles (or any highend bike
    shop). I think my time in Houston turned me into a convenience junky,
    so sad. Plus I find my riding tempered by the fact that spare parts for
    my bike can take 4 weeks or more to arrive.

    Laters,

    Marz

  5. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    "Marz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Zilla wrote:
    > > Why not put it inside the bed?

    > Unfortunatly the bed's not long enough to stand a bike. It's a wee
    > Mazda B double cab with a 1530mm bed; if I lay my bike down in the bed
    > I the front wheel still sticks out over the tailgate.
    >
    > Laters,
    >
    > Marz

    http://www.saris.com/products/traps.htm

    Put one of these on a plank (2"x4" in the US)
    to anchor your fork into. Will that work? I just
    like having a bike somewhat "inside" a vehicle.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

  6. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > "Marz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Zilla wrote:
    >>
    >>>Why not put it inside the bed?

    >>Unfortunatly the bed's not long enough to stand a bike. It's a wee
    >>Mazda B double cab with a 1530mm bed; if I lay my bike down in the bed
    >>I the front wheel still sticks out over the tailgate.
    >>
    >>Laters,
    >>
    >>Marz
    >>

    > http://www.saris.com/products/traps.htm
    >
    > Put one of these on a plank (2"x4" in the US)
    > to anchor your fork into. Will that work? I just
    > like having a bike somewhat "inside" a vehicle.

    Yep, many a pickup driver have done just that. Many years ago there
    were ones that clamped to the rim of the bed. I found them to free up
    more space in the bed for camping stuff.

    Greg