Re: Hot feet during sleep



T

Tal

Guest
> My feet frequently get warm after going to bed, which makes it
> difficult to get to sleep. I always sleep with my feet outside the
> covers, and many times I'll even put my feet against the footboard to
> help keep my feet cool. Sometimes I even resort to putting my feet
> against the wall.



I assume you've tried cooling the room down - is the temp difference between
the rest of your body and your feet significant? what are your feet like
during the day?

I did a little research and it seems hot feet are commonly a symptom of RLS
or PLMS - you say you don't have RLS - how did you come to this conclusion?
It's my understanding that the person suffering is not ALWAYS aware that
they have RLS until they have a sleep study.

--
Beth in Australia
===================
FAQ for alt.support.sleep-disorder can be found here
http://talhost.net/sleep
Newsgroup Archives http://talhost.net/sleep/archives.htm
this site is a work in progress - feel free to submit info/articles

Remove my name to reply
 
N

NormC

Guest
Tal wrote:
>>My feet frequently get warm after going to bed, which makes it
>>difficult to get to sleep. I always sleep with my feet outside the
>>covers, and many times I'll even put my feet against the footboard to
>>help keep my feet cool. Sometimes I even resort to putting my feet
>>against the wall.

>
>
>
> I assume you've tried cooling the room down - is the temp difference between
> the rest of your body and your feet significant? what are your feet like
> during the day?
>
> I did a little research and it seems hot feet are commonly a symptom of RLS
> or PLMS - you say you don't have RLS - how did you come to this conclusion?
> It's my understanding that the person suffering is not ALWAYS aware that
> they have RLS until they have a sleep study.


Hey, I didn't know that. It's a terrific p;oint. Thanks for the
research.
 
N

NormC

Guest
burnerbabe wrote:
> I was tested for RLS


As part of a lab PSG? One night?

Just as I have a growing concern that one night in a lab for a
PSG may not tell the full apnea story for everyone (and why I
recommend an appropriate autopap and oximeter at home if there is
any indication of problems), it could be the same for RLS/PLMD.

However, since the 'hot feet' don't wake you (do they?), they
probably don't interfere with your sleep; whereas kicking legs
might be more of a problem


> and didn't have it but my feet get hot all the time.. I
> have a fan that blows on them during the night and they are rarely under the
> covers...
>
>
> "Tal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>>My feet frequently get warm after going to bed, which makes it
>>>difficult to get to sleep. I always sleep with my feet outside the
>>>covers, and many times I'll even put my feet against the footboard to
>>>help keep my feet cool. Sometimes I even resort to putting my feet
>>>against the wall.

>>
>>
>>I assume you've tried cooling the room down - is the temp difference

>
> between
>
>>the rest of your body and your feet significant? what are your feet like
>>during the day?
>>
>>I did a little research and it seems hot feet are commonly a symptom of

>
> RLS
>
>>or PLMS - you say you don't have RLS - how did you come to this

>
> conclusion?
>
>>It's my understanding that the person suffering is not ALWAYS aware that
>>they have RLS until they have a sleep study.
>>
>>--
>>Beth in Australia
>>===================
>>FAQ for alt.support.sleep-disorder can be found here
>>http://talhost.net/sleep
>>Newsgroup Archives http://talhost.net/sleep/archives.htm
>>this site is a work in progress - feel free to submit info/articles
>>
>>Remove my name to reply
>>
>>
>>

>
>
>
 
B

Beeblebrox

Guest
"Tal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > My feet frequently get warm after going to bed, which makes it
> > difficult to get to sleep. I always sleep with my feet outside the
> > covers, and many times I'll even put my feet against the footboard to
> > help keep my feet cool. Sometimes I even resort to putting my feet
> > against the wall.

>
>
> I assume you've tried cooling the room down - is the temp difference between
> the rest of your body and your feet significant?


No, the temperature difference between the rest of my body and my feet
is not significate. "Hot" may have been a bit of an overstatement by
me; they don't really feel hot to the touch, they're just
uncomfortably warm sometimes when I try to sleep.

Yes, I've tried cooling the room down. I guess that technically
works, but so does putting my feet against the wall.

> what are your feet like during the day?


They're fine. They're rarely uncomfortable at any other time except
when I go to bed.

> I did a little research and it seems hot feet are commonly a symptom of RLS
> or PLMS


Really? I'd be interested in reading any information online that
lists the symptoms for RLS. I've only checked WebMD and it lists
these symptoms:

Some Common Symptoms of RLS Include:

* Unpleasant sensations in the legs (sometimes the arms as well),
often described as creeping, crawling, tingling, pulling, or painful;
* Leg sensations are relieved by walking, stretching, knee bends,
massage, or hot or cold baths;
* Leg discomfort occurs when lying down or sitting for prolonged
periods of time;
* The symptoms are worse in the evening and during the night.

Other Possible Characteristics Include:

* Involuntary leg (and occasionally arm) movements while asleep;
* Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep;
* Sleepiness or fatigue during the daytime;
* Cause of the leg discomfort not detected by medical tests;
* Family members with similar symptoms.

With the exception of the sleep difficulty, I have NONE of those
symptoms.

> - you say you don't have RLS - how did you come to this conclusion?


I didn't say that. I said I don't have any of the symptoms associated
with RLS (at least based on my WebMD search).

> It's my understanding that the person suffering is not ALWAYS aware that
> they have RLS until they have a sleep study.


Admittedly, my assumption that I don't have RLS is based only on my
webmd search. I'd be very willing to be in a sleep study. Does
anyone have any suggestions on how I could participate? I live in the
San Francisco Bay Area.
 
B

burnerbabe

Guest
i sure wish my insurance would cover that but it doesn't... I'm a ****** and
turner (tonight I somehow got myself half out of my nightgown....) but I
sleep sound..


"NormC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> burnerbabe wrote:
> > I was tested for RLS

>
> As part of a lab PSG? One night?
>
> Just as I have a growing concern that one night in a lab for a
> PSG may not tell the full apnea story for everyone (and why I
> recommend an appropriate autopap and oximeter at home if there is
> any indication of problems), it could be the same for RLS/PLMD.
>
> However, since the 'hot feet' don't wake you (do they?), they
> probably don't interfere with your sleep; whereas kicking legs
> might be more of a problem
>
>
> > and didn't have it but my feet get hot all the time.. I
> > have a fan that blows on them during the night and they are rarely under

the
> > covers...
> >
> >
> > "Tal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >
> >>>My feet frequently get warm after going to bed, which makes it
> >>>difficult to get to sleep. I always sleep with my feet outside the
> >>>covers, and many times I'll even put my feet against the footboard to
> >>>help keep my feet cool. Sometimes I even resort to putting my feet
> >>>against the wall.
> >>
> >>
> >>I assume you've tried cooling the room down - is the temp difference

> >
> > between
> >
> >>the rest of your body and your feet significant? what are your feet

like
> >>during the day?
> >>
> >>I did a little research and it seems hot feet are commonly a symptom of

> >
> > RLS
> >
> >>or PLMS - you say you don't have RLS - how did you come to this

> >
> > conclusion?
> >
> >>It's my understanding that the person suffering is not ALWAYS aware that
> >>they have RLS until they have a sleep study.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Beth in Australia
> >>===================
> >>FAQ for alt.support.sleep-disorder can be found here
> >>http://talhost.net/sleep
> >>Newsgroup Archives http://talhost.net/sleep/archives.htm
> >>this site is a work in progress - feel free to submit info/articles
> >>
> >>Remove my name to reply
> >>
> >>
> >>

> >
> >
> >

>
>
 
T

Tal

Guest
> i sure wish my insurance would cover that but it doesn't... I'm a ******
and
> turner (tonight I somehow got myself half out of my nightgown....) but I
> sleep sound..


you should try some non-prescription treatments for RLS just to see if they
help...you've got nothing to lose really.......if you toss and turn a lot,
that's an indication SOMETHING isn't quite right....just hard to know what

http://talhost.net/sleep/rls.htm

so you're saying you were tested for RLS but didn't have an overnight PSG?
i'd be REALLY curious to know who diagnosed you as NOT having RLS without a
sleep study........hmmm........



*waits for Norm's response to "but i sleep sound"*

--
Beth in Australia
===================
FAQ for alt.support.sleep-disorder can be found here
http://talhost.net/sleep
Newsgroup Archives http://talhost.net/sleep/archives.htm
this site is a work in progress - feel free to submit info/articles

Remove my name to reply
 
B

burnerbabe

Guest
when I went in for my cpap they had everything... 3 different sensors on my
legs and feet alone... that was the only time I was tested... I know my
husband has it.. I'm victim of the kicking.. LOL


"Tal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> > i sure wish my insurance would cover that but it doesn't... I'm a ******

> and
> > turner (tonight I somehow got myself half out of my nightgown....) but I
> > sleep sound..

>
> you should try some non-prescription treatments for RLS just to see if

they
> help...you've got nothing to lose really.......if you toss and turn a lot,
> that's an indication SOMETHING isn't quite right....just hard to know what
>
> http://talhost.net/sleep/rls.htm
>
> so you're saying you were tested for RLS but didn't have an overnight PSG?
> i'd be REALLY curious to know who diagnosed you as NOT having RLS without

a
> sleep study........hmmm........
>
>
>
> *waits for Norm's response to "but i sleep sound"*
>
> --
> Beth in Australia
> ===================
> FAQ for alt.support.sleep-disorder can be found here
> http://talhost.net/sleep
> Newsgroup Archives http://talhost.net/sleep/archives.htm
> this site is a work in progress - feel free to submit info/articles
>
> Remove my name to reply
>
>
>
 
N

NormC

Guest
burnerbabe wrote:
> when I went in for my cpap they had everything... 3 different sensors on my
> legs and feet alone... that was the only time I was tested... I know my
> husband has it.. I'm victim of the kicking.. LOL


I'm just a worry-wart, so now it's time to start worrying about
you. I know you have been posting for a while, but I can't
recall if you ever posted any real complaints or your history.

If your only problem is hot feet, and you feel great when you get
up in the morn and all day long, then ignore me. Otherwise, why
don't you tell us again.

Am I correct that you belong to an HMO in the US?

If you are ending up half out of your nightie, without any help
from your MSO <grin>, Beth's 'nothing to lose' suggestion makes
sense to me.

And..... as to your 'sound' sleep. If you go around feeling like
**** each day, your 'sound' sleep probably ISN'T sound. And,
BTW, what do you mean by 'sound' sleep?

>
>
> "Tal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>>i sure wish my insurance would cover that but it doesn't... I'm a ******

>>
>>and
>>
>>>turner (tonight I somehow got myself half out of my nightgown....) but I
>>>sleep sound..

>>
>>you should try some non-prescription treatments for RLS just to see if

>
> they
>
>>help...you've got nothing to lose really.......if you toss and turn a lot,
>>that's an indication SOMETHING isn't quite right....just hard to know what
>>
>>http://talhost.net/sleep/rls.htm
>>
>>so you're saying you were tested for RLS but didn't have an overnight PSG?
>>i'd be REALLY curious to know who diagnosed you as NOT having RLS without

>
> a
>
>>sleep study........hmmm........
>>
>>
>>
>>*waits for Norm's response to "but i sleep sound"*
>>
>>--
>>Beth in Australia
>>===================
>>FAQ for alt.support.sleep-disorder can be found here
>>http://talhost.net/sleep
>>Newsgroup Archives http://talhost.net/sleep/archives.htm
>>this site is a work in progress - feel free to submit info/articles
>>
>>Remove my name to reply
>>
>>
>>

>
>
>
 
W

Will

Guest
Hello - new reader here.

I would like to say just one thing - you may be a candidate for Mirapex
treatment (if not now, then maybe later). I used to have the proverbial
"hot-feet" and would sleep with my feet out from under the covers. This
progressively (we're talking about a period of about 15-20 years here) got
to a point where my feet would tingle and feel prickly. I would have to get
out of bed, or rub my feet to relieve the sensation. It always occurred
right before, or right when, I went to bed. The sensation could last up to 2
hours.

I have recently been seen by a pulmonologist (specializing in sleep
medicine) and been prescribed Mirapex for this feet sensation. It
IMMEDIATELY stopped the sensation. My sleep has improved, but now it is time
to treat the apnea.

Good luck with the "hot foot" sensation! And wish me luck with CPAP fitting
next week.


"Beeblebrox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Tal" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > > My feet frequently get warm after going to bed, which makes it
> > > difficult to get to sleep. I always sleep with my feet outside the
> > > covers, and many times I'll even put my feet against the footboard to
> > > help keep my feet cool. Sometimes I even resort to putting my feet
> > > against the wall.

> >
> >
> > I assume you've tried cooling the room down - is the temp difference

between
> > the rest of your body and your feet significant?

>
> No, the temperature difference between the rest of my body and my feet
> is not significate. "Hot" may have been a bit of an overstatement by
> me; they don't really feel hot to the touch, they're just
> uncomfortably warm sometimes when I try to sleep.
>
> Yes, I've tried cooling the room down. I guess that technically
> works, but so does putting my feet against the wall.
>
> > what are your feet like during the day?

>
> They're fine. They're rarely uncomfortable at any other time except
> when I go to bed.
>
> > I did a little research and it seems hot feet are commonly a symptom of

RLS
> > or PLMS

>
> Really? I'd be interested in reading any information online that
> lists the symptoms for RLS. I've only checked WebMD and it lists
> these symptoms:
>
> Some Common Symptoms of RLS Include:
>
> * Unpleasant sensations in the legs (sometimes the arms as well),
> often described as creeping, crawling, tingling, pulling, or painful;
> * Leg sensations are relieved by walking, stretching, knee bends,
> massage, or hot or cold baths;
> * Leg discomfort occurs when lying down or sitting for prolonged
> periods of time;
> * The symptoms are worse in the evening and during the night.
>
> Other Possible Characteristics Include:
>
> * Involuntary leg (and occasionally arm) movements while asleep;
> * Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep;
> * Sleepiness or fatigue during the daytime;
> * Cause of the leg discomfort not detected by medical tests;
> * Family members with similar symptoms.
>
> With the exception of the sleep difficulty, I have NONE of those
> symptoms.
>
> > - you say you don't have RLS - how did you come to this conclusion?

>
> I didn't say that. I said I don't have any of the symptoms associated
> with RLS (at least based on my WebMD search).
>
> > It's my understanding that the person suffering is not ALWAYS aware that
> > they have RLS until they have a sleep study.

>
> Admittedly, my assumption that I don't have RLS is based only on my
> webmd search. I'd be very willing to be in a sleep study. Does
> anyone have any suggestions on how I could participate? I live in the
> San Francisco Bay Area.