Re: Hot feet during sleep

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Tal, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Tal

    Tal Guest

    > My feet frequently get warm after going to bed, which makes it
    > difficult to get to sleep. I always sleep with my feet outside the
    > covers, and many times I'll even put my feet against the footboard to
    > help keep my feet cool. Sometimes I even resort to putting my feet
    > against the wall.

    I assume you've tried cooling the room down - is the temp difference between
    the rest of your body and your feet significant? what are your feet like
    during the day?

    I did a little research and it seems hot feet are commonly a symptom of RLS
    or PLMS - you say you don't have RLS - how did you come to this conclusion?
    It's my understanding that the person suffering is not ALWAYS aware that
    they have RLS until they have a sleep study.

    --
    Beth in Australia
    ===================

    Remove my name to reply

    Tags:

  2. NormC

    NormC Guest

    Tal wrote:
    >>My feet frequently get warm after going to bed, which makes it
    >>difficult to get to sleep. I always sleep with my feet outside the
    >>covers, and many times I'll even put my feet against the footboard to
    >>help keep my feet cool. Sometimes I even resort to putting my feet
    >>against the wall.

    > I assume you've tried cooling the room down - is the temp difference between
    > the rest of your body and your feet significant? what are your feet like
    > during the day?
    >
    > I did a little research and it seems hot feet are commonly a symptom of RLS
    > or PLMS - you say you don't have RLS - how did you come to this conclusion?
    > It's my understanding that the person suffering is not ALWAYS aware that
    > they have RLS until they have a sleep study.

    Hey, I didn't know that. It's a terrific p;oint. Thanks for the
    research.

  3. NormC

    NormC Guest

    burnerbabe wrote:
    > I was tested for RLS

    As part of a lab PSG? One night?

    Just as I have a growing concern that one night in a lab for a
    PSG may not tell the full apnea story for everyone (and why I
    recommend an appropriate autopap and oximeter at home if there is
    any indication of problems), it could be the same for RLS/PLMD.

    However, since the 'hot feet' don't wake you (do they?), they
    probably don't interfere with your sleep; whereas kicking legs
    might be more of a problem

    > and didn't have it but my feet get hot all the time.. I
    > have a fan that blows on them during the night and they are rarely under the
    > covers...
    >

    > "Tal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>>My feet frequently get warm after going to bed, which makes it
    >>>difficult to get to sleep. I always sleep with my feet outside the
    >>>covers, and many times I'll even put my feet against the footboard to
    >>>help keep my feet cool. Sometimes I even resort to putting my feet
    >>>against the wall.

    >>I assume you've tried cooling the room down - is the temp difference

    > between
    >
    >>the rest of your body and your feet significant? what are your feet like
    >>during the day?
    >>
    >>I did a little research and it seems hot feet are commonly a symptom of

    > RLS
    >
    >>or PLMS - you say you don't have RLS - how did you come to this

    > conclusion?
    >
    >>It's my understanding that the person suffering is not ALWAYS aware that
    >>they have RLS until they have a sleep study.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Beth in Australia
    >>===================
    >>FAQ for alt.support.sleep-disorder can be found here
    >>http://talhost.net/sleep
    >>Newsgroup Archives http://talhost.net/sleep/archives.htm
    >>this site is a work in progress - feel free to submit info/articles
    >>
    >>Remove my name to reply

  4. Beeblebrox

    Beeblebrox Guest

    "Tal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > My feet frequently get warm after going to bed, which makes it
    > > difficult to get to sleep. I always sleep with my feet outside the
    > > covers, and many times I'll even put my feet against the footboard to
    > > help keep my feet cool. Sometimes I even resort to putting my feet
    > > against the wall.

    > I assume you've tried cooling the room down - is the temp difference between
    > the rest of your body and your feet significant?

    No, the temperature difference between the rest of my body and my feet
    is not significate. "Hot" may have been a bit of an overstatement by
    me; they don't really feel hot to the touch, they're just
    uncomfortably warm sometimes when I try to sleep.

    Yes, I've tried cooling the room down. I guess that technically
    works, but so does putting my feet against the wall.

    > what are your feet like during the day?

    They're fine. They're rarely uncomfortable at any other time except
    when I go to bed.

    > I did a little research and it seems hot feet are commonly a symptom of RLS
    > or PLMS

    Really? I'd be interested in reading any information online that
    lists the symptoms for RLS. I've only checked WebMD and it lists
    these symptoms:

    Some Common Symptoms of RLS Include:

    * Unpleasant sensations in the legs (sometimes the arms as well),
    often described as creeping, crawling, tingling, pulling, or painful;
    * Leg sensations are relieved by walking, stretching, knee bends,
    massage, or hot or cold baths;
    * Leg discomfort occurs when lying down or sitting for prolonged
    periods of time;
    * The symptoms are worse in the evening and during the night.

    Other Possible Characteristics Include:

    * Involuntary leg (and occasionally arm) movements while asleep;
    * Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep;
    * Sleepiness or fatigue during the daytime;
    * Cause of the leg discomfort not detected by medical tests;
    * Family members with similar symptoms.

    With the exception of the sleep difficulty, I have NONE of those
    symptoms.

    > - you say you don't have RLS - how did you come to this conclusion?

    I didn't say that. I said I don't have any of the symptoms associated
    with RLS (at least based on my WebMD search).

    > It's my understanding that the person suffering is not ALWAYS aware that
    > they have RLS until they have a sleep study.

    Admittedly, my assumption that I don't have RLS is based only on my
    webmd search. I'd be very willing to be in a sleep study. Does
    anyone have any suggestions on how I could participate? I live in the
    San Francisco Bay Area.

  5. burnerbabe

    burnerbabe Guest

    i sure wish my insurance would cover that but it doesn't... I'm a tosser and
    turner (tonight I somehow got myself half out of my nightgown....) but I
    sleep sound..

    "NormC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > burnerbabe wrote:
    > > I was tested for RLS

    > As part of a lab PSG? One night?
    >
    > Just as I have a growing concern that one night in a lab for a
    > PSG may not tell the full apnea story for everyone (and why I
    > recommend an appropriate autopap and oximeter at home if there is
    > any indication of problems), it could be the same for RLS/PLMD.
    >
    > However, since the 'hot feet' don't wake you (do they?), they
    > probably don't interfere with your sleep; whereas kicking legs
    > might be more of a problem
    >

    > > and didn't have it but my feet get hot all the time.. I
    > > have a fan that blows on them during the night and they are rarely under

    the
    > > covers...
    > >

    > > "Tal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > >>I assume you've tried cooling the room down - is the temp difference

    > > between
    > >
    > >>the rest of your body and your feet significant? what are your feet

    like
    > >>during the day?
    > >>
    > >>I did a little research and it seems hot feet are commonly a symptom of

    > > RLS
    > >
    > >>or PLMS - you say you don't have RLS - how did you come to this

    > > conclusion?
    > >
    > >>It's my understanding that the person suffering is not ALWAYS aware that
    > >>they have RLS until they have a sleep study.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Beth in Australia
    > >>===================
    > >>FAQ for alt.support.sleep-disorder can be found here
    > >>http://talhost.net/sleep
    > >>Newsgroup Archives http://talhost.net/sleep/archives.htm
    > >>this site is a work in progress - feel free to submit info/articles
    > >>
    > >>Remove my name to reply

  6. Tal

    Tal Guest

    > i sure wish my insurance would cover that but it doesn't... I'm a tosser
    and
    > turner (tonight I somehow got myself half out of my nightgown....) but I
    > sleep sound..

    you should try some non-prescription treatments for RLS just to see if they
    help...you've got nothing to lose really.......if you toss and turn a lot,
    that's an indication SOMETHING isn't quite right....just hard to know what

    http://talhost.net/sleep/rls.htm

    so you're saying you were tested for RLS but didn't have an overnight PSG?
    i'd be REALLY curious to know who diagnosed you as NOT having RLS without a
    sleep study........hmmm........

    *waits for Norm's response to "but i sleep sound"*

    --
    Beth in Australia
    ===================
    FAQ for alt.support.sleep-disorder can be found here
    http://talhost.net/sleep
    Newsgroup Archives http://talhost.net/sleep/archives.htm
    this site is a work in progress - feel free to submit info/articles

    Remove my name to reply

  7. burnerbabe

    burnerbabe Guest

    when I went in for my cpap they had everything... 3 different sensors on my
    legs and feet alone... that was the only time I was tested... I know my
    husband has it.. I'm victim of the kicking.. LOL

    "Tal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > i sure wish my insurance would cover that but it doesn't... I'm a tosser

    > and
    > > turner (tonight I somehow got myself half out of my nightgown....) but I
    > > sleep sound..

    > you should try some non-prescription treatments for RLS just to see if

    they
    > help...you've got nothing to lose really.......if you toss and turn a lot,
    > that's an indication SOMETHING isn't quite right....just hard to know what
    >
    > http://talhost.net/sleep/rls.htm
    >
    > so you're saying you were tested for RLS but didn't have an overnight PSG?
    > i'd be REALLY curious to know who diagnosed you as NOT having RLS without

    > sleep study........hmmm........
    >

    > *waits for Norm's response to "but i sleep sound"*
    >
    > --
    > Beth in Australia
    > ===================
    > FAQ for alt.support.sleep-disorder can be found here
    > http://talhost.net/sleep
    > Newsgroup Archives http://talhost.net/sleep/archives.htm
    > this site is a work in progress - feel free to submit info/articles
    >
    > Remove my name to reply

  8. NormC

    NormC Guest

    burnerbabe wrote:
    > when I went in for my cpap they had everything... 3 different sensors on my
    > legs and feet alone... that was the only time I was tested... I know my
    > husband has it.. I'm victim of the kicking.. LOL

    I'm just a worry-wart, so now it's time to start worrying about
    you. I know you have been posting for a while, but I can't
    recall if you ever posted any real complaints or your history.

    If your only problem is hot feet, and you feel great when you get
    up in the morn and all day long, then ignore me. Otherwise, why
    don't you tell us again.

    Am I correct that you belong to an HMO in the US?

    If you are ending up half out of your nightie, without any help
    from your MSO <grin>, Beth's 'nothing to lose' suggestion makes
    sense to me.

    And..... as to your 'sound' sleep. If you go around feeling like
    crap each day, your 'sound' sleep probably ISN'T sound. And,
    BTW, what do you mean by 'sound' sleep?

    > "Tal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>>i sure wish my insurance would cover that but it doesn't... I'm a tosser

    >>and
    >>
    >>>turner (tonight I somehow got myself half out of my nightgown....) but I
    >>>sleep sound..

    >>you should try some non-prescription treatments for RLS just to see if

    > they
    >
    >>help...you've got nothing to lose really.......if you toss and turn a lot,
    >>that's an indication SOMETHING isn't quite right....just hard to know what
    >>
    >>http://talhost.net/sleep/rls.htm
    >>
    >>so you're saying you were tested for RLS but didn't have an overnight PSG?
    >>i'd be REALLY curious to know who diagnosed you as NOT having RLS without

    >>sleep study........hmmm........
    >>

    >>*waits for Norm's response to "but i sleep sound"*
    >>
    >>--
    >>Beth in Australia
    >>===================
    >>FAQ for alt.support.sleep-disorder can be found here
    >>http://talhost.net/sleep
    >>Newsgroup Archives http://talhost.net/sleep/archives.htm
    >>this site is a work in progress - feel free to submit info/articles
    >>
    >>Remove my name to reply

  9. Will

    Will Guest

    Hello - new reader here.

    I would like to say just one thing - you may be a candidate for Mirapex
    treatment (if not now, then maybe later). I used to have the proverbial
    "hot-feet" and would sleep with my feet out from under the covers. This
    progressively (we're talking about a period of about 15-20 years here) got
    to a point where my feet would tingle and feel prickly. I would have to get
    out of bed, or rub my feet to relieve the sensation. It always occurred
    right before, or right when, I went to bed. The sensation could last up to 2
    hours.

    I have recently been seen by a pulmonologist (specializing in sleep
    medicine) and been prescribed Mirapex for this feet sensation. It
    IMMEDIATELY stopped the sensation. My sleep has improved, but now it is time
    to treat the apnea.

    Good luck with the "hot foot" sensation! And wish me luck with CPAP fitting
    next week.

    news:[email protected]