Re: How Best to Raise Handlebars ?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by David L. Johnson, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:15:56 -0800, Magnusfarce wrote:

    > 1) What are my best options for raising the handlebars on the new bike? I
    > 'm not keen on adjustable stems.

    If it's a quill stem (threaded headset), there are steel stems with long
    quills that should take care of you fine. I have one of these on my
    wife's bike, and it works great. Sheldon Brown sells them in various
    extensions, I believe. Steel is a good idea with a long quill.

    If it's threadless, then maybe a big, thick riser stem can be found.

    > at hand. Is it possible that the manufacturer might be able to give me
    > a fork with an extra long steerer tube? Comments about these various
    > approaches?

    I have some riding buddies who have extended head tubes on their bikes --
    but this is custom stuff. To have just the fork longer (and use spacers)
    with either threaded or threadless is not a great option, IMO, if strength
    is an issue.

    Another option here would be to go for a compact frame, since the headtube
    is proportionally longer than on a traditional frame. Get it larger than
    would be recommended, and you essentially have an extended headtube. Of
    course the top tube effective length may be too big, but it might be worth
    thinking about.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
    _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
    (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
    nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]