Re: How do you keep track of progress?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Lyndon, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    [email protected]lid wrote:

    >I as I trying to modestly ramp up my running, to run for higher speeds
    >and longer distances, I would like to know if any of you use any free
    >methods of tracking performance and progress (or lack thereof). Any
    >suggestions for spreadsheet type solutions? Maybe there is some
    >freeware or some such that I could use? A linux based programwould be
    >preferred. Thanks...

    I use my own Excel spreadsheet, Mine starts as a periodization plan for the
    entire year, with training cycles, races, and every running workout figured
    out. Planned rest is also included. Then, as I go through the season, I
    replace what I planned with what I actually did, adjusting planned training as
    needed.

    One thing that I think hasn't been brought out is that you shouldn't get too
    caught up in day-to-day fitness changes. Many experienced runners can tell
    lactate threshold, MLSS, recovery pace by feel, and if you do these on
    consistent courses, yes, these can tell you something, as can time trials. For
    example, I have a standard warmup that includes a jog, drills, and buildups/
    strides, and if something is significantly slower, it tells me to cut back the
    planned workload (maybe I'm getting sick, and I haven't quite figured it out
    yet).

    But you shouldn't obsess about these things. Even a time trial can vary week
    to week due to a lot of things, such as stress, illness/health, sleep, how fast
    you ran your last recovery run, maybe even what you had for lunch. If you ran
    your 400 session 1 second/400 slower than you ran last week, it might mean that
    you didn't work as hard or didn't get enough recovery...but it might mean that
    it was 5 degrees warmer than last week. Don't worry about such things. Also,
    performance improvement is not necessarily a straight line: there can be
    plateaus and even dips (because you increased your training load) along the
    way.

    It's long term improvement (over a training cycle, season, or year) that
    matters.

    Lyndon
    "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach
    Brooks Johnson