Re: How do you make atheism as popular as Jesus?- A rally call.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> Steve O wrote:
> > I have just been watching Richard Dawkins and his program about religion.
> > Dawkins attended a religious meeting presided over by some crazy eyed
> > fundamentalist.
> > There were hundreds of people there, singing , clapping, having a great
> > time.
> > Whilst Richard has his admirers, it's unlikely he could pull a crowd as big
> > as that to listen to him.
> > Now, whilst I believe that Dawkins has far more interesting things to say
> > than the crazy wild eyed fundamentalist who had drawn the big crowd, (and
> > was presumably siphoning off a tidy profit from them) I think it's highly
> > unlikely that Dawkins could have filled that stadium.
> > Which is a damned shame.
> > And it got me thinking.... is the atheism movement doomed in the face of
> > this rising tide of irrationality and religious fervour?
> > Then again , is atheism a movement at all?
> > Is that part of the problem?
> > Because those organised religions appear to have so many attractions,
> > (structure, support, friendship, etc) does that mean that, in the eyes of
> > the herd, it will always have far much more to offer than the alternative?
> > Is that why religion is growing rather than declining?
> > When Dawkins first heard of evolution and understood that there were no Gods
> > he honestly believed that within his own lifetime, he would see religion
> > eradicated or rendered irrelevant.
> > In his own admission, that hasn't happened, nor is it likely to.
> > Why?
> > Simple answer - religion, (for the masses) has far more to offer.
> > Apart from filling people's minds with dangerous nonsense, it also happens
> > to provide a support structure, and well, something to get together with
> > other people and celebrate.
> > That's the problem with atheism - there's nothing to celebrate.
> > Nothing to form a support structure around.
> > ....So how do we change that?
> > Yes, I know Mickey has made a good start by maintaining an atheist list, but
> > is that the best we can do? (no offence intended towards Michelle)
> > I was personally shocked to find when I joined that list that I was only
> > atheist # 2240.
> > Two thousand two hundred and forty - out of a potential list of millions.
> > We are the majority - if you count apathy and disinterest as atheism, so how
> > do we take it further to counterbalance the rising tide of religious
> > fervour, fuelled by these happy, clappy meetings which inspire so much faith
> > in people?
> > Should we start having major meetings and rallies ourselves?
> > Should we fill those rallies with music, singing, and interesting stuff to
> > do?

Isn't that kinda what Rock'n Roll shows are?

> > Why should the fundy nuts have all the fun, and the advantage of a community
> > with a vested interest and similar views?
> > In other words, how can we coagulate, and build a wall against this
> > relentless onslaught of blind, ecstatic, whooping and hollering religio -
> > fascists who seem to be taking over the world?
> > Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Capitalism has already robbed the West of most of our decency. You
want to finish the job of destroying people's minds by removing the one
thing they have left? And you want to replace their dearly held
beliefs with what? With all the harm the conservative religios do, the
liberal ones counter, and your or my belief that they are living in
make-believe land shouldn't inspire us to intolerance.
I used to be just like you, a fundamentalist Atheist. Now I count very
many Christians among my friends. They all know I don't believe, and
they accept that. Still, you asked about suggestions. Go here:
http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/
Very scholarly, even if rather bitter.

> Without the LORD, life is meaningless (Book of Ecclesiastes). Sorry to
> break this to you. Please forgive me for my iniquities.
>
> Would be more than happy to "glow" and chat about this and other things
> like cardiology, diabetes and nutrition that interest those following
> this thread here during the next on-line chat (01/12/06) from 6 to 7 pm
> EST:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cpayh
>
> For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for
> how the LORD has reshaped me:

What shaped you into one of the biggest assholes on Usenet?

> http://tinyurl.com/bgfqt
>
> Prayerfully in Christ's love,
>
> Andrew
> http://tinyurl.com/b6xwk

--Bryan

jmcquown wrote:

> Again, please stop cross posting this stuff to rec.food.cooking!

Before considering your polite request, a couple of questions:

(1) Who has given you the authority to write on behalf of all present
and future subscribers of the unmoderated RFC USENET newsgroup?

(2) Why does "this stuff" bother you?

Would be more than happy to "glow" and chat about this and other things
like cardiology, diabetes, cooking and nutrition that interest those
following this thread here during the next on-line chat (01/12/2006)
from 6 to 7 pm EST:

http://tinyurl.com/cpayh

For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for how
the LORD has reshaped me:

http://tinyurl.com/bgfqt

Prayerfully in Christ's love,

Andrew
http://tinyurl.com/b6xwk

"Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > Again, please stop cross posting this stuff to rec.food.cooking!

> Before considering your polite request, a couple of questions:
>
> (1) Who has given you the authority to write on behalf of all present
> and future subscribers of the unmoderated RFC USENET newsgroup?

Basic netiquette is not all that complicated, Andy. You've been asked many
times to cease and desist, and yet you persist in your unsociable
cross-posting behavior.

> (2) Why does "this stuff" bother you?

Have you ever heard of "signal-to-noise" ratio? By cross-posting your
off-topic drivel, you're lowering the signal-to-noise ratio for many groups.

GG

Michael Gray wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 04:27:57 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> - Refer: <[email protected]>
> >GaryG wrote:
> >
> >> "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> Basic netiquette is not all that complicated, Andy. You've been asked many
> >> times to cease and desist, and yet you persist in your unsociable
> >> cross-posting behavior.

Why not let "jmcquown" answer the question?

> >As well as being incredibly stupid and a waste of time it is also offensive.

Non-responsive.

> Which is precisely why Chunks does it.
> Annoying for Jeebers.

No. The LORD's purpose for me here is to inform. Sorry my choice to
obey HIM bothers you so terribly. Please forgive my iniquities.

Now this is about the works of the four riders on horseback from the
6th chapter of the Book of Revelation (we are now in the 6th year into
the third millenium after the birth of the Son of Man)

(1) Crowned rider wielding a bow and riding a white horse:

"See you on the other side. It's not bad. We are just going to
sleep." - missive (missile) from one of 12 born-again Christian miners
who gave up their lives to save the youngest among them after being
trapped by an explosion in a W.Va mine.

(2) Rider wielding a sword and riding a fiery red horse:

Ariel Sharon, the world's hope for lasting peace in the middle east,
suffers a massive stroke. Violence and bloodshed in Iraq escalates.
U.S. now less likely to pull out of Iraq anytime soon.

(3) Rider wielding a set of food scales and riding a black horse:

The rate of increase of the number of people worldwide using the
2PD-OMER Approach (which advocates the use of food scales) accelerates
with growing worldwide concerns about the obesity epidemic:

http://www.HeartMDPhD.com/wtloss.asp

(4) Rider on a pale horse given the authority to kill a fourth of the
world's population "by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts
of the earth":

The H5N1 Avian Flu Pandemic is here:

http://tinyurl.com/amj4a

Yes, the migratory birds spreading H5N1 virus are wild beasts of the
earth.

Would be more than happy to "glow" and chat about this and other things
like cardiology, diabetes and nutrition that interest those following
this thread here during the next on-line chat (01/12/06) from 6 to 7 pm
EST:

http://tinyurl.com/cpayh

For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for
how the LORD has reshaped me:

http://tinyurl.com/bgfqt

Prayerfully in Christ's love,

Andrew
http://tinyurl.com/b6xwk

>The LORD's purpose for me here is to inform.

This is not what I discern.

nino the mindboggler wrote:
> >The LORD's purpose for me here is to inform.

> This is not what I discern.

Not surprising for someone without a discerning heart.

May the LORD give you a discerning heart, someday, dear Jack whom I
love, in Jesus' most precious and holy name.

Now this is about the works of the four riders on horseback from the
6th chapter of the Book of Revelation (we are now in the 6th year into
the third millenium after the birth of the Son of Man)

(1) Crowned rider wielding a bow and riding a white horse:

"See you on the other side. It's not bad. We are just going to
sleep." - missive (missile) from one of 12 born-again Christian miners
who gave up their lives to save the youngest among them after being
trapped by an explosion in a W.Va mine.

(2) Rider wielding a sword and riding a fiery red horse:

Ariel Sharon, the world's hope for lasting peace in the middle east,
suffers a massive bleeding stroke. Violence and bloodshed in Iraq

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> Richard Smol wrote:
> >
> > Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> >
> > > Without the LORD, life is meaningless (Book of Ecclesiastes). Sorry to
> > > break this to you. Please forgive me for my iniquities.

> > What is the meaning of your god's existence?

> The LORD does not belong to me but rather it is I who belongs to HIM.
>
> For this reason, the LORD defines the meaning for my life and I can not
> define the meaning of HIS existence.
>
> Now this is about the works of the four riders on horseback from the 6th
> chapter of the Book of Revelation (we are now in the 6th year into the
> third millenium after the birth of the Son of Man)
>
> (1) Crowned rider wielding a bow and riding a white horse:

You haven't answered my question.

RS

Richard Smol wrote:
> Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> > Richard Smol wrote:

> > > What is the meaning of your god's existence?

> > The LORD does not belong to me but rather it is I who belongs to HIM.
> >
> > For this reason, the LORD defines the meaning for my life and I can not
> > define the meaning of HIS existence.
> >
> > Now this is about the works of the four riders on horseback from the 6th
> > chapter of the Book of Revelation (we are now in the 6th year into the
> > third millenium after the birth of the Son of Man)
> >
> > (1) Crowned rider wielding a bow and riding a white horse:

> You haven't answered my question.

Actually, I have answered your question in the manner the LORD would
have me answer it. Indeed, the LORD Himself has answered your question
already and you can find HIS answer when you read the Book of Job
starting in chapter 38 verse 2 onward to the end of chapter 41 which
ends at verse 34.

May the LORD help you overcome your doubts someday, dear Richard whom I
love, in Jesus' most precious and holy name.

Amen.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> Richard Smol wrote:
> > Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:

> > > The LORD does not belong to me but rather it is I who belongs to HIM.
> > >
> > > For this reason, the LORD defines the meaning for my life and I can not
> > > define the meaning of HIS existence.
> > >

> > You haven't answered my question.

> Actually, I have answered your question in the manner the LORD would
> have me answer it. Indeed, the LORD Himself has answered your question
> already and you can find HIS answer when you read the Book of Job
> starting in chapter 38 verse 2 onward to the end of chapter 41 which
> ends at verse 34.

Nowhere in those verses it is stated what the purpose is of your god's
existence. The problem is that if you can't find any *intrinsic*
purpose for your god, then nothing this god does or creates has any
kind of purpose either. The whole universe would be nothing but a
puppet show to please this god of yours... an exercise void of any
meaning or goal and in my view depressingly futile.

RS

Richard Smol wrote:
> Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> > Richard Smol wrote:

> > > You haven't answered my question.

> > Actually, I have answered your question in the manner the LORD would
> > have me answer it. Indeed, the LORD Himself has answered your question
> > already and you can find HIS answer when you read the Book of Job
> > starting in chapter 38 verse 2 onward to the end of chapter 41 which
> > ends at verse 34.

> Nowhere in those verses it is stated what the purpose is of your god's
> existence.

Nonetheless, the answer is within those verses for those with
discerning hearts.

> The problem is that if you can't find any *intrinsic*
> purpose for your god, then nothing this god does or creates has any
> kind of purpose either.

That is not what I discern.

> The whole universe would be nothing but a
> puppet show to please this god of yours...

That would be the case were it not for HIS generous gift of free will
to each of us.

> an exercise void of any
> meaning or goal and in my view depressingly futile.

That is the lot of those who choose to openly rebel against the LORD.

May the LORD give you a discerning heart, someday, dear Richard whom I
[...]

It's nearly 10 am in Atlanta. Not many (practicing) cardiologists have the
time to engage in this sort of thing during regular office hours.

GG

GaryG wrote:
> It's nearly 10 am in Atlanta.

Actually it is past 10 am

> Not many (practicing) cardiologists have the
> time to engage in this sort of thing during regular office hours.

Those who are walking with the LORD have access to HIS infinite amount
of time :)

May the LORD give you some of HIS time someday, dear Gary whom I love,
in Jesus' most precious and holy name.

Amen :)

Now this is about the works of the four riders on horseback from the
6th chapter of the Book of Revelation (we are now in the 6th year into
the third millenium after the birth of the Son of Man)

(1) Crowned rider wielding a bow and riding a white horse:

"See you on the other side. It's not bad. We are just going to
sleep." - missive (missile) from one of 12 born-again Christian miners
who gave up their lives to save the youngest among them after being
trapped by an explosion in a W.Va mine.

(2) Rider wielding a sword and riding a fiery red horse:

Ariel Sharon, the world's hope for lasting peace in the middle east,
suffers a massive bleeding stroke. Violence and bloodshed in Iraq
escalates. U.S. now less likely to pull out of Iraq anytime soon.

(3) Rider wielding a set of food scales and riding a black horse:

The rate of increase of the number of people worldwide using the
2PD-OMER Approach (which advocates the use of food scales) accelerates
with growing worldwide concerns about the obesity epidemic:

http://www.HeartMDPhD.com/wtloss.asp

(4) Rider on a pale horse given the authority to kill a fourth of the
world's population "by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts
of the earth":

The H5N1 Avian Flu Pandemic is here:

http://tinyurl.com/amj4a

Yes, the migratory birds spreading H5N1 virus are wild beasts of the
earth.

Would be more than happy to "glow" and chat about this and other things
like cardiology, diabetes and nutrition that interest those following
this thread here during the next on-line chat (01/12/06) from 6 to 7 pm
EST:

http://tinyurl.com/cpayh

For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for
how the LORD has reshaped me:

http://tinyurl.com/bgfqt

Prayerfully in Christ's love,

Andrew
http://tinyurl.com/b6xwk

> GG

"Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> GaryG wrote:
> > It's nearly 10 am in Atlanta.

> Actually it is past 10 am
>
> > Not many (practicing) cardiologists have the
> > time to engage in this sort of thing during regular office hours.

> Those who are walking with the LORD have access to HIS infinite amount
> of time :)

It also helps that the "LORD" seems to have chased away all of your
patients, thank God :).

BTW - how much sleep did you get last night? Based on your recent feverish
posting history, it looks like you got no sleep at all.

GG

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> Richard Smol wrote:
> > Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:

> > > Actually, I have answered your question in the manner the LORD would
> > > have me answer it. Indeed, the LORD Himself has answered your question
> > > already and you can find HIS answer when you read the Book of Job
> > > starting in chapter 38 verse 2 onward to the end of chapter 41 which
> > > ends at verse 34.

> > Nowhere in those verses it is stated what the purpose is of your god's
> > existence.

> Nonetheless, the answer is within those verses for those with
> discerning hearts.

Idiot. THE ANSWER IS NOT THERE! Get it? The verses don't answer my
question, no matter how much you pound on them! If you think they do,
state what you think the answer is.

> > The problem is that if you can't find any *intrinsic*
> > purpose for your god, then nothing this god does or creates has any
> > kind of purpose either.

> That is not what I discern.

You're "discerning" a lot of stuff that can't be verified anywhere.

> > The whole universe would be nothing but a
> > puppet show to please this god of yours...

> That would be the case were it not for HIS generous gift of free will
> to each of us.

Which is all totally irrelevant if you can't state what the existence
is of your alleged god.

> > an exercise void of any
> > meaning or goal and in my view depressingly futile.

> That is the lot of those who choose to openly rebel against the LORD.

Which could only happen if your god lets them, since he is supposed to
be omnipotent.

So, what *is* the purpose of your god's existence? If it is just
creating some universe and playing moronic games with its inhabitants,
this basically boils down to: no purpose at all.

RS

"Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Richard Smol wrote:
>> Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:

>> > The LORD does not belong to me but rather it is I who belongs to HIM.
>> >
>> > For this reason, the LORD defines the meaning for my life and I can not
>> > define the meaning of HIS existence.
>> >
>> > Now this is about the works of the four riders on horseback from the
>> > 6th
>> > chapter of the Book of Revelation (we are now in the 6th year into the
>> > third millenium after the birth of the Son of Man)
>> >
>> > (1) Crowned rider wielding a bow and riding a white horse:

>> You haven't answered my question.

> Actually, I have answered your question in the manner the LORD would
> have me answer it.

Andrew, since you are communicating with your jesus/god, why not solve
things by just having it make an appearance, prove its existence and powers,
and tell us what it wants from us?

If you can't get that done, then quit posting rubbish.