Re: How many watts to rear-brake a fixie?

Michael Wileman

Guest
In <[email protected]> "Dan" <[email protected]> writes:

>In a biomechanics book, I read about an actual experiment
>where two cyclists pedaled stationary bikes connected by a
>chain. One rider pedaled forward and the other provided
>resistance by back-pedaling. The physical effort of the two
>riders was measured and compared. Although both riders were
>doing the same amount of external work, the resistance
>pedaler was doing less total work. The forward pedaling
>cyclist had to overcome the internal losses of both riders.

I once heard a lecture by a researcher who had performed
these experiments. He said that a backward pedaler could
wear out three forward pedalers. But the next day the
backward pedaler could hardly walk. I'm surprised your
biomechanics book didn't mention this.

He didn't say (perhaps didn't know) whether this was a
temporary effect caused by using muscles not commonly used,
or an effect of using the joints at an intensity they were
not designed for under that loading.

Mike

"Michael Wileman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In <[email protected]> "Dan" <[email protected]>
> writes:
>
>>In a biomechanics book, I read about an actual experiment
>>where two cyclists pedaled stationary bikes connected by a
>>chain. One rider pedaled forward and the other provided
>>resistance by back-pedaling. The physical effort of the two
>>riders was measured and compared. Although both riders were
>>doing the same amount of external work, the resistance
>>pedaler was doing less total work. The forward pedaling
>>cyclist had to overcome the internal losses of both riders.

> I once heard a lecture by a researcher who had performed
> these experiments. He said that a backward pedaler could
> wear out three forward pedalers. But the next day the
> backward pedaler could hardly walk. I'm surprised your
> biomechanics book didn't mention this.
>
> He didn't say (perhaps didn't know) whether this was a
> temporary effect caused by using muscles not commonly used,
> or an effect of using the joints at an intensity they were
> not designed for under that loading.
>
> Mike

I have wondered why they didn't just turn the backwards guy around and let
him use his normal cycling muscles, it seems to me that this would be a more
appropriate way to measure the internal work.