Re: How many will boycott "The Dukes of Hazzard" because of the flag?

Peter H Proctor

Guest
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:25:39 -0400, WillBrink
<WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote:

>I am going to boycott it 'cause it's going to suck.

Sometimes the border between "silly" (i.e., funny) and "stupid" is
pretty narrow. We shall see which it is... The cast is fairly
promising.

> Could care less about the flag.

Interestingly, the original "Dukes" occasionally featured a
black sheriff in the next county whose professionalism was played off
agin' that of the local dumb white-boy LEO's. And, at the time,
the Confederate flag had not been politicised and mostly symbolized a
rebellious attitude.. Leastwise, nobody remarked on it.

Dr P

"Peter H Proctor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:25:39 -0400, WillBrink
> <WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I am going to boycott it 'cause it's going to suck.

> Sometimes the border between "silly" (i.e., funny) and "stupid" is
> pretty narrow. We shall see which it is... The cast is fairly
> promising.
>
>> Could care less about the flag.

> Interestingly, the original "Dukes" occasionally featured a
> black sheriff in the next county whose professionalism was played off
> agin' that of the local dumb white-boy LEO's. And, at the time,
> the Confederate flag had not been politicised and mostly symbolized a
> rebellious attitude.. Leastwise, nobody remarked on it.
>
> Dr P

I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of the
South. Oddly enough, the South has risen considerably since I moved down
here. It is doing far better economically than the cities of the North. This
can be attested to by the number of new bikes I see on the roads.

The Old South attitude is still here to some degree, but most folks,
especially the younger ones, appear to have moved on. It is nice to have
moved from an environment of decay to an area of growth.

If only someone would learn how to make a cheesesteak! <G>

Ed Cregger

> [...]

> the Confederate flag had not been politicised and mostly symbolized a
> rebellious attitude.. Leastwise, nobody remarked on it.
>
> Dr P

I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of the
South. Oddly enough, the South has risen considerably since I moved down
here. It is doing far better economically than the cities of the North. This
can be attested to by the number of new bikes I see on the roads.

The Old South attitude is still here to some degree, but most folks,
especially the younger ones, appear to have moved on. It is nice to have
moved from an environment of decay to an area of growth.

If only someone would learn how to make a cheesesteak! <G>

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:01:41 -0500, Peter H Proctor
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:25:39 -0400, WillBrink
><WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I am going to boycott it 'cause it's going to suck.

>Sometimes the border between "silly" (i.e., funny) and "stupid" is
>pretty narrow. We shall see which it is... The cast is fairly
>promising.
>
>> Could care less about the flag.

> Interestingly, the original "Dukes" occasionally featured a
>black sheriff in the next county whose professionalism was played off
>agin' that of the local dumb white-boy LEO's.

I'd forgotten about Sheriff "Spike"! If I remember correctly, he
carried around a railroad spike, and at least once used it to tear the
door off a car. Badass mofo, indeed.

--
Scott Gardner

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session." (Judge Gideon J. Tucker, 1866.)"

Scott Gardner wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:01:41 -0500, Peter H Proctor
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:25:39 -0400, WillBrink
>><WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>>I am going to boycott it 'cause it's going to suck.

>>Sometimes the border between "silly" (i.e., funny) and "stupid" is
>>pretty narrow. We shall see which it is... The cast is fairly
>>promising.
>>

>>>Could care less about the flag.

>> Interestingly, the original "Dukes" occasionally featured a
>>black sheriff in the next county whose professionalism was played off
>>agin' that of the local dumb white-boy LEO's.

> I'd forgotten about Sheriff "Spike"! If I remember correctly, he
> carried around a railroad spike, and at least once used it to tear the
> door off a car. Badass mofo, indeed.

I wonder if that was Joss Whedon's inspiration for the naming of the
Spike character in the Buffy series...apparently did something else to
people with a railroad spike...

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/