Re: How many will boycott "The Dukes of Hazzard" because of the flag?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Peter H Proctor, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Scott Gardner wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:01:41 -0500, Peter H Proctor
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:25:39 -0400, WillBrink
    >><WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am going to boycott it 'cause it's going to suck.

    >>Sometimes the border between "silly" (i.e., funny) and "stupid" is
    >>pretty narrow. We shall see which it is... The cast is fairly
    >>promising.
    >>

    >>>Could care less about the flag.

    >> Interestingly, the original "Dukes" occasionally featured a
    >>black sheriff in the next county whose professionalism was played off
    >>agin' that of the local dumb white-boy LEO's.

    > I'd forgotten about Sheriff "Spike"! If I remember correctly, he
    > carried around a railroad spike, and at least once used it to tear the
    > door off a car. Badass mofo, indeed.

    I wonder if that was Joss Whedon's inspiration for the naming of the
    Spike character in the Buffy series...apparently did something else to
    people with a railroad spike...

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  2. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:21:09 -0400, "Ed Cregger"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    >to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    >soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of the
    >South.

    Unlike the US flag or the "real" confederate flag, the
    Stars and Bars, the Confederate battle flag pictured on the General
    Lee has no real connection with slavery. Its use was entirely
    as a military "color" and arose because the Stars and Bars looked
    rather like the US flag on the battlefield. .

    Likewise, slavery was not just a vice of the
    Confederacy--there was lots of blame to go around. E.g., NJ was
    technically a slave state until the passage of the 13th amendment.
    Following a 50 year period of gradual emancipation, the 1860 census
    still listed 18 slaves in New Jersey and there may have been a few
    more.

    PHP

  3. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:21:09 -0400, "Ed Cregger"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    >to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    >soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of the
    >South.

    Unlike the US flag or the "real" confederate flag, the
    Stars and Bars, the Confederate battle flag pictured on the General
    Lee has no real connection with slavery. Its use was entirely
    as a military "color" and arose because the Stars and Bars looked
    rather like the US flag on the battlefield. .

    Likewise, slavery was not just a vice of the
    Confederacy--there was lots of blame to go around. E.g., NJ was
    technically a slave state until the passage of the 13th amendment.
    Following a 50 year period of gradual emancipation, the 1860 census
    still listed 18 slaves in New Jersey and there may have been a few
    more.

    PHP

  4. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:21:09 -0400, "Ed Cregger"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    >to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    >soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of the
    >South.

    Unlike the US flag or the "real" confederate flag, the
    Stars and Bars, the Confederate battle flag pictured on the General
    Lee has no real connection with slavery. Its use was entirely
    as a military "color" and arose because the Stars and Bars looked
    rather like the US flag on the battlefield. .

    Likewise, slavery was not just a vice of the
    Confederacy--there was lots of blame to go around. E.g., NJ was
    technically a slave state until the passage of the 13th amendment.
    Following a 50 year period of gradual emancipation, the 1860 census
    still listed 18 slaves in New Jersey and there may have been a few
    more.

    PHP

  5. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:21:09 -0400, "Ed Cregger"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    >to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    >soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of the
    >South.

    Unlike the US flag or the "real" confederate flag, the
    Stars and Bars, the Confederate battle flag pictured on the General
    Lee has no real connection with slavery. Its use was entirely
    as a military "color" and arose because the Stars and Bars looked
    rather like the US flag on the battlefield. .

    Likewise, slavery was not just a vice of the
    Confederacy--there was lots of blame to go around. E.g., NJ was
    technically a slave state until the passage of the 13th amendment.
    Following a 50 year period of gradual emancipation, the 1860 census
    still listed 18 slaves in New Jersey and there may have been a few
    more.

    PHP

  6. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:21:09 -0400, "Ed Cregger"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    >to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    >soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of the
    >South.

    Unlike the US flag or the "real" confederate flag, the
    Stars and Bars, the Confederate battle flag pictured on the General
    Lee has no real connection with slavery. Its use was entirely
    as a military "color" and arose because the Stars and Bars looked
    rather like the US flag on the battlefield. .

    Likewise, slavery was not just a vice of the
    Confederacy--there was lots of blame to go around. E.g., NJ was
    technically a slave state until the passage of the 13th amendment.
    Following a 50 year period of gradual emancipation, the 1860 census
    still listed 18 slaves in New Jersey and there may have been a few
    more.

    PHP

  7. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:21:09 -0400, "Ed Cregger"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    >to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    >soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of the
    >South.

    Unlike the US flag or the "real" confederate flag, the
    Stars and Bars, the Confederate battle flag pictured on the General
    Lee has no real connection with slavery. Its use was entirely
    as a military "color" and arose because the Stars and Bars looked
    rather like the US flag on the battlefield. .

    Likewise, slavery was not just a vice of the
    Confederacy--there was lots of blame to go around. E.g., NJ was
    technically a slave state until the passage of the 13th amendment.
    Following a 50 year period of gradual emancipation, the 1860 census
    still listed 18 slaves in New Jersey and there may have been a few
    more.

    PHP

  8. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:21:09 -0400, "Ed Cregger"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    >to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    >soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of the
    >South.

    Unlike the US flag or the "real" confederate flag, the
    Stars and Bars, the Confederate battle flag pictured on the General
    Lee has no real connection with slavery. Its use was entirely
    as a military "color" and arose because the Stars and Bars looked
    rather like the US flag on the battlefield. .

    Likewise, slavery was not just a vice of the
    Confederacy--there was lots of blame to go around. E.g., NJ was
    technically a slave state until the passage of the 13th amendment.
    Following a 50 year period of gradual emancipation, the 1860 census
    still listed 18 slaves in New Jersey and there may have been a few
    more.

    PHP

  9. Dan J.S.

    Dan J.S. Guest

    > I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    > to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    > soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of
    > the South. Oddly enough, the South has risen considerably since I moved
    > down here. It is doing far better economically than the cities of the
    > North. This can be attested to by the number of new bikes I see on the
    > roads.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Great economical metric! I would suggest writing a paper on this phenomenon!

  10. Dan J.S.

    Dan J.S. Guest

    > I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    > to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    > soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of
    > the South. Oddly enough, the South has risen considerably since I moved
    > down here. It is doing far better economically than the cities of the
    > North. This can be attested to by the number of new bikes I see on the
    > roads.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Great economical metric! I would suggest writing a paper on this phenomenon!

  11. Dan J.S.

    Dan J.S. Guest

    > I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    > to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    > soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of
    > the South. Oddly enough, the South has risen considerably since I moved
    > down here. It is doing far better economically than the cities of the
    > North. This can be attested to by the number of new bikes I see on the
    > roads.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Great economical metric! I would suggest writing a paper on this phenomenon!

  12. Dan J.S.

    Dan J.S. Guest

    > I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    > to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    > soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of
    > the South. Oddly enough, the South has risen considerably since I moved
    > down here. It is doing far better economically than the cities of the
    > North. This can be attested to by the number of new bikes I see on the
    > roads.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Great economical metric! I would suggest writing a paper on this phenomenon!

  13. Dan J.S.

    Dan J.S. Guest

    > I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    > to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    > soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of
    > the South. Oddly enough, the South has risen considerably since I moved
    > down here. It is doing far better economically than the cities of the
    > North. This can be attested to by the number of new bikes I see on the
    > roads.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Great economical metric! I would suggest writing a paper on this phenomenon!

  14. Dan J.S.

    Dan J.S. Guest

    > I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    > to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    > soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of
    > the South. Oddly enough, the South has risen considerably since I moved
    > down here. It is doing far better economically than the cities of the
    > North. This can be attested to by the number of new bikes I see on the
    > roads.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Great economical metric! I would suggest writing a paper on this phenomenon!

  15. Dan J.S.

    Dan J.S. Guest

    > I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    > to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    > soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of
    > the South. Oddly enough, the South has risen considerably since I moved
    > down here. It is doing far better economically than the cities of the
    > North. This can be attested to by the number of new bikes I see on the
    > roads.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Great economical metric! I would suggest writing a paper on this phenomenon!

  16. Dan J.S.

    Dan J.S. Guest

    > I have a confederate flag myself. I bought it when I moved from NJ (north)
    > to near Chattanooga TN (south). Why? Because I knew then that they would
    > soon become extinct - NOT because I believe in slavery or in the rise of
    > the South. Oddly enough, the South has risen considerably since I moved
    > down here. It is doing far better economically than the cities of the
    > North. This can be attested to by the number of new bikes I see on the
    > roads.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Great economical metric! I would suggest writing a paper on this phenomenon!

  17. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest

    Scott Gardner wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:01:41 -0500, Peter H Proctor
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:25:39 -0400, WillBrink
    > ><WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I am going to boycott it 'cause it's going to suck.

    > >Sometimes the border between "silly" (i.e., funny) and "stupid" is
    > >pretty narrow. We shall see which it is... The cast is fairly
    > >promising.
    > >
    > >> Could care less about the flag.

    > > Interestingly, the original "Dukes" occasionally featured a
    > >black sheriff in the next county whose professionalism was played off
    > >agin' that of the local dumb white-boy LEO's.

    > I'd forgotten about Sheriff "Spike"! If I remember correctly, he
    > carried around a railroad spike, and at least once used it to tear the
    > door off a car. Badass mofo, indeed.

    I don't think that was it. The character was Sheriff Ed Little
    of "Chickasaw County" - AKA "Big Sheriff Little". He was played
    by Don Pedro Coley.

    <http://www.lucasfan.com/thx1138/little.jpg>

  18. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest

    Scott Gardner wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:01:41 -0500, Peter H Proctor
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:25:39 -0400, WillBrink
    > ><WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I am going to boycott it 'cause it's going to suck.

    > >Sometimes the border between "silly" (i.e., funny) and "stupid" is
    > >pretty narrow. We shall see which it is... The cast is fairly
    > >promising.
    > >
    > >> Could care less about the flag.

    > > Interestingly, the original "Dukes" occasionally featured a
    > >black sheriff in the next county whose professionalism was played off
    > >agin' that of the local dumb white-boy LEO's.

    > I'd forgotten about Sheriff "Spike"! If I remember correctly, he
    > carried around a railroad spike, and at least once used it to tear the
    > door off a car. Badass mofo, indeed.

    I don't think that was it. The character was Sheriff Ed Little
    of "Chickasaw County" - AKA "Big Sheriff Little". He was played
    by Don Pedro Coley.

    <http://www.lucasfan.com/thx1138/little.jpg>

  19. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest

    Scott Gardner wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:01:41 -0500, Peter H Proctor
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:25:39 -0400, WillBrink
    > ><WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I am going to boycott it 'cause it's going to suck.

    > >Sometimes the border between "silly" (i.e., funny) and "stupid" is
    > >pretty narrow. We shall see which it is... The cast is fairly
    > >promising.
    > >
    > >> Could care less about the flag.

    > > Interestingly, the original "Dukes" occasionally featured a
    > >black sheriff in the next county whose professionalism was played off
    > >agin' that of the local dumb white-boy LEO's.

    > I'd forgotten about Sheriff "Spike"! If I remember correctly, he
    > carried around a railroad spike, and at least once used it to tear the
    > door off a car. Badass mofo, indeed.

    I don't think that was it. The character was Sheriff Ed Little
    of "Chickasaw County" - AKA "Big Sheriff Little". He was played
    by Don Pedro Coley.

    <http://www.lucasfan.com/thx1138/little.jpg>

  20. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest