Re: How safe (crime)is jogging?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Red Rocket, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. Red Rocket

    Red Rocket Guest

    "I L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > How save Is it for a female to jog alone? Is city street, college
    > track, or park jogging trail safer? Sometimes there is not always
    > someone available to jog with me. I do feel safer early in morning and
    > in sweats.

    what the hell are they going to steal from me? my shoes are nasty, my
    t-shirt is gross and let's not even discuss my shorts...

    Tags:

  2. Depends on your discretion. Keep in mind that there have been
    rape-and-murder attacks on female joggers in the past - for e.g.,
    in Central Park, NY, or for that matter supposedly Chandra Levy
    somewhere near D.C while jogging and so on.

    Not extremely probable, but could happen.

    Who wouldn't enjoy jogging, hiking, or biking in wilderness.
    There have been mountain lion attacks occassionally on people
    who went jogging early in the morning on lonely trails in the
    wilderness.

    Use your head.

  3. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1109263883.738009.[email protected]
    > Depends on your discretion. Keep in mind that there have been
    > rape-and-murder attacks on female joggers in the past - for e.g.,
    > in Central Park, NY, or for that matter supposedly Chandra Levy
    > somewhere near D.C while jogging and so on.

    i used to run by where Chandra was found every day. i often thought i would
    feel very uncomfortable if i was a woman running there.

    > Not extremely probable, but could happen.
    >
    > Who wouldn't enjoy jogging, hiking, or biking in wilderness.
    > There have been mountain lion attacks occassionally on people
    > who went jogging early in the morning on lonely trails in the
    > wilderness.
    >
    > Use your head.

  4. >Keep in mind that there have been
    rape-and-murder attacks on female joggers in the past - for e.g.,
    in Central Park, NY,
    _____

    Not True.

    If _anything_ happens in Central Park since it's famous...it makes
    worldwide news....forever...and then distorts and a terrible/horrible
    event even becomes more heinous. no female jogger has ever been
    "raped-and-murdered" in Central Park, ever.
    10 yrs ago unfortunately a female jogger was murdered in Central Park,
    it's unsolved, Police think it was some mentally ill homeless people.

    For those that live in the real world, can accept facts, & come to
    terms with reality, Central Park is one of the more safer places.
    However unfortunately just about every week a female jogger is raped in
    america. Not in Central Park but in aflluent suburbs and red
    states......absolutely everywhere. Many go unreported. Many don't.
    Below you can read about some recent victims just in the past couple
    of weeks.

    http://www.smdailyjournal.org/article.cfm?issue=02-12-05&storyID=39802

    http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050131/NEWS01/50131008/1002/NEWS01

    Unfortunately we all have to be smart, every time we go out...just like
    wearing a seatbelt.. and take an array of precautions as runners are
    raped, hit by cars, attacked by dogs & victimized
    daily......_everywhere_.

  5. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >Keep in mind that there have been

    > rape-and-murder attacks on female joggers in the past - for e.g.,
    > in Central Park, NY,
    > _____
    >
    > Not True.
    >
    > If _anything_ happens in Central Park since it's famous...it makes
    > worldwide news....forever...and then distorts and a terrible/horrible
    > event even becomes more heinous. no female jogger has ever been
    > "raped-and-murdered" in Central Park, ever.
    > 10 yrs ago unfortunately a female jogger was murdered in Central Park,
    > it's unsolved, Police think it was some mentally ill homeless people.

    dont forget about the "wilding" incident. while it seems clear that those
    kids didnt do it she was still raped and pretty badly beaten.

    i was living in Northern Va a few years ago and there was a rash of attacks
    on a popular running route...they got that guy relatively quickly though.
    women should be careful; men are creepy.

    > For those that live in the real world, can accept facts, & come to
    > terms with reality, Central Park is one of the more safer places.

    i agree. and it's really pretty at night.

    > However unfortunately just about every week a female jogger is raped in
    > america. Not in Central Park but in aflluent suburbs and red
    > states......absolutely everywhere. Many go unreported. Many don't.

    now, now. nothing bad happens in red states. that's why they feel they can
    employ the handicapped in high elected office.

    > Below you can read about some recent victims just in the past couple
    > of weeks.
    >
    > http://www.smdailyjournal.org/article.cfm?issue=02-12-05&storyID=39802
    >
    > http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050131/NEWS01/50131008/1002/NEWS01

    BAH! your facts bore me.

    > Unfortunately we all have to be smart, every time we go out...just like
    > wearing a seatbelt.. and take an array of precautions as runners are
    > raped, hit by cars, attacked by dogs & victimized
    > daily......_everywhere_.

    i am victimized daily by a media that wants to shove their idea of beauty
    down my throat instead of the krispy kremes i would prefer.

  6. >dont forget about the "wilding" incident.
    _

    read between the lines, i referenced it in my first paragraph. i and
    many our local central park running club actually met the woman (we had
    a race/fund raiser wherein she participated last year).

    how does america work? let's look at quaint simple all american dane
    county in Wisconsin. Can't get much more wholesome and "whitebread"
    than that can you?
    Unfortunately a female jogger was hit and killed my a doped up motorist
    a couple weeks ago. No one knows about these facts as....well it
    happend in Wisconsin, not in Central Park. This does not happen in
    Central Park. Thousands of cars going 20-30 mph come within feet of
    joggers 5 days a week, year after year, in Central Park.

    http://www.wkowtv.com/$spindb.!query.1listnews.storeview.14033.news

    Take another look and you'll read that she was the third jogger to be
    hit and killed by a car or truck on a rural Dane County road in recent
    years.

    But let me shut up before I start to illustrate that Central Park is a
    safer place to run than those lovely rural roads of Dane County,
    Wisconsin. It's wrong for me to shed light on the real world facts and
    counter the media, the spin....and the public's notions/perceptions of
    fear.....after all...it's "big bad Central Park" in "big bad New York
    City"....there's no way it can be safer for joggers than All-American
    Dane Country, Wisconsin.

    Thanks but I'll stick with running in Central Park. There's no way in
    hell I'd be on the rural roads of Dane County, WI.

  7. > Police think it was some mentally ill homeless people.

    They should take up running. Maybe they'd get some respect.

    > For those that live in the real world, can accept facts, & come to
    > terms with reality,

    Are these three different skills?

    > Central Park is one of the more safer places.

    Safer than sleeping on a subway platform?

    > Below you can read about some recent victims just in the past couple
    > of weeks.

    I like this story better:
    http://www.smdailyjournal.org/article.cfm?issue=02-24-05&storyID=40165

    > Unfortunately we all have to be smart,

    Unfortunately.

    > every time we go out...just like wearing a seatbelt..

    Why go out? I'm wearing a seatbelt right now.

    > and take an array of precautions as runners are
    > raped, hit by cars, attacked by dogs & victimized
    > daily......_everywhere_.

    Not to make light of a serious problem (any more than I already have), I
    think if we could just jail MAT the jogger hit-and-runs would decrease
    dramatically.

  8. Gate runner

    Gate runner Guest

    >Why go out? I'm wearing a seatbelt right now.>

    You also advocate safe sex, and are wearing 7 condoms right now.