Re: How SLOW can you go?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Aug 6, 2004.

  1. Wild Wind wrote:
    > I think we get far too many posts in the
    > 'speed merchant' vein in this group.
    >
    > So this is a strike back for the pootlers in
    > this group - what is the SLOWEST sustained speed
    > that you can manage on your bike?
    >
    > In my local park today, I was able to attain a
    > chilled-out 1mph for all of 1 minute before I
    > began to wobble and gravity took charge.
    >
    > Anyone been able to go slower than that?

    My 3 year old has just learnt how to push the pedals on his first ever
    bike (stablisers attached) - however, he will only go for a ride if
    Daddy races him...

    Hence I have been following him around the street on my fixed, doing
    approx 2 mph, with a following wind. Ability to track stand while
    nudging no. 1 son up kerbs a distinct advantage!
    Cheers, Andy (v. proud dad)

    www.stirling-tri.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > My 3 year old has just learnt how to push the pedals on his first ever
    > bike (stablisers attached) - however, he will only go for a ride if
    > Daddy races him...
    >
    > Hence I have been following him around the street on my fixed, doing
    > approx 2 mph, with a following wind. Ability to track stand while
    > nudging no. 1 son up kerbs a distinct advantage!

    Good stuff, I'm looking forward to teaching my kids. And the mention of
    following on a fixed brings to mind the thought that you really need a
    unicycle :)

    A friend of mine learnt to ride a unicycle around the same time his kids
    were learning to ride bikes. For a while he would ride his yike while
    they rode their bikes, because the speed was about right. Then after a
    few months he had to upgrade to a 24" wheel, because he couldn't keep up
    on a 20".

  3. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Danny Colyer
    <[email protected]> writes

    >A friend of mine learnt to ride a unicycle around the same time his
    >kids were learning to ride bikes. For a while he would ride his yike
    >while they rode their bikes, because the speed was about right. Then
    >after a few months he had to upgrade to a 24" wheel, because he
    >couldn't keep up on a 20".

    On the topic of unicyles and kids.

    Me and Elinor were watching Cbeebies the other week, they had a bloke on
    there riding a unicycle - she thought we should both get one to ride :)

    Since we hvae yet to get onto two wheels yet, one seems a little of a
    balancing challenge.....

    When do kids start riding unicycles anyway? 5? 4?
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  4. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    chris French wrote:
    > Me and Elinor were watching Cbeebies the other week, they had a bloke on
    > there riding a unicycle - she thought we should both get one to ride :)

    Absolutely. One of these, perhaps, for Elinor:
    <URL:http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=468>
    or:
    <URL:http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=489>

    The more expensive one is, of course the better unicycle, but how long
    does it need to last? I've spent the last few years keeping an eye out
    for a second hand 12" unicycle, but they don't come up very often and
    I'll probably end up having to buy a new one.

    If you're going to ride together then you probably ought to ride a 20".
    If you get a bigger wheel you might find it difficult to keep down to
    the speed that Elinor will be doing on a 12".

    > Since we hvae yet to get onto two wheels yet, one seems a little of a
    > balancing challenge.....

    Kaleigh Grainger has a good collection of unicycling world championship
    gold medals. I know that she hadn't learnt to ride a bike when she
    started winning those medals at the age of 14, AFAIK she still hasn't.

    I think I'll probably get my kids riding bikes before progressing to
    yikes, but actually riding a unicycle is very different to riding a bike.

    > When do kids start riding unicycles anyway? 5? 4?

    A Google of the rec.sports.unicycling archives found mention of a child
    learning at 18 months. That claim came from John Foss, probably one of
    the most reliable sources of unicycling information in the world -
    otherwise I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

    The youngest child I've ever seen riding was 6. Generally, I imagine
    most kids will probably be ready by the time their legs are long enough
    to reach the pedals on the smallest unicycle you can find.