Re: How to analyse one's recovery characteristics? Tranquillizers to calm down?

Al

Guest
On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:42:18 -0400, jP <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Al, your elevated heart rate that long after exercise strikes me as
>>unusual.

That's what I thought too.

>>I think you should discuss this with your doctor.
>>
>>Have you changed your diet and/or medications recently?

Yes. I totally quit alcohol, and I cut down on carbohydrates and
increased my protein intake somewhat. Also, before I started working
out, I was frequently constantly taking pills to deal with nervous
tension, nigraines etc: codeine and attivan, mainly. Plus about one
bottle of vodka per week. When I started working out again, I found I
no longer needed the pills and found it easy to quit the booze (except
that I used a small (1mg) dose of attivan to calm me down after
working out, so I could sleep at night and recuperate properly.)

Thank you..

Al

Al wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:42:18 -0400, jP <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>>Al, your elevated heart rate that long after exercise strikes me as
>>>unusual.

> That's what I thought too.
>
>>>I think you should discuss this with your doctor.
>>>
>>>Have you changed your diet and/or medications recently?

> Yes. I totally quit alcohol, and I cut down on carbohydrates and
> increased my protein intake somewhat. Also, before I started working
> out, I was frequently constantly taking pills to deal with nervous
> tension, nigraines etc: codeine and attivan, mainly. Plus about one
> bottle of vodka per week. When I started working out again, I found I
> no longer needed the pills and found it easy to quit the booze (except
> that I used a small (1mg) dose of attivan to calm me down after
> working out, so I could sleep at night and recuperate properly.)

I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. You made some good health
choices and modified your diet and especially alcohol. Take it easy at
first (it sounds like you are going to), and check with your doctor if
you get that extended heart rate increase.

Also, check your caffine and nicotine intake, if you smoke, and reduce
or eliminate them, especially within four hours before and after your
workout.

Also make SURE you are hydrated. If you are working out while
dehydrated, that will raise your blood pressure (blood is much thicker
and your heart with struggle to pump it until you increase the %H2O
levels). Some people do not realize they are dehydrated, especially
regular alchohol users. So drink water, and especially so before,
during, and after your workout.

For most people, I believe heart rate slows to nearly rest levels within
20-90 minutes or so after a workout.

jP

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:42:30 GMT, [email protected] (Al)
wrote:

>>That's what I thought too.

>>Yes. I totally quit alcohol, and I cut down on carbohydrates and
>>increased my protein intake somewhat. Also, before I started working
>>out, I was frequently constantly taking pills to deal with nervous
>>tension, nigraines etc: codeine and attivan, mainly. Plus about one
>>bottle of vodka per week. When I started working out again, I found I
>>no longer needed the pills and found it easy to quit the booze (except
>>that I used a small (1mg) dose of attivan to calm me down after
>>working out, so I could sleep at night and recuperate properly.)

PS
I'm also supplementing my diet with creatine, glutamine, chromium and
vanadyl sulphate (the usual recommended doses).

Al