Re: How to determine MTB headset size/type

Nate Knutson

Guest
On Aug 18, 9:57 am, David Bonnell <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've got a low-end Giant MTB frame and I'm not sure what type of
> headset is required. The frame is likely a '00 or '01. It is
> definitely not a zerostack compatible headset (I have an '02 Giant
> that is).
>
> Are there any web references/guides that can help out? I saw
> Sheldon's headset crib sheet, but that didn't help.
> The cane creek website was slightly better, with a .pdf of various
> integrated headtube dimensions. Arggh. I wish they (the headset and
> bicycle companies) would just stick with one design!!
>
> FWIW, the headtube inner diameter is approx. 1 5/8" ( < 42 mm), and
> the depth is pretty shallow...about 5/16" (8 mm). There appears to be
> wear at the bottom, as if bearings were installed directly in the
> headtube itself. I guess that would make this an "integrated" headset
> (rather than an "internal" headset). Hope I can find a replacement...

No promises without an exact measurement, but I'm pretty sure it's a
particular nasty, obscure-ish semi-integrated (aka internal) size
that's very uncommon overall but that Giant has used on some bikes.
Does each end of the headtube have a flat internal shoulder at the end
of that 8mm, as opposed to any kind of angular surface there? If so,
it's just a freaky size that not a lot of people are familiar with,
but Giant dealers can order and sell you. It's in their catalog that
all dealers will have.

It may or may not be the same or have some relation to the standard
described here as "Microtech": http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=68
.. I know it probably looks similar, but the Giant I've seen that used
this had zerostack-style pressed cup that are just their own funky
size. But that was an 05 road bike.

Also, aside from inch-based measurements often used to describe
steerer sizes, everything regarding headset standards is normally and
best communicated in metric.

Hiddenset also uses headtubes with an ID of 41.8ish, but there is an
angled seat for the bearing and wouldn't be found on a cheap mountain
bike from 7 years ago anyway.

I'm an idiot. The 'internal' cups are actually pressed into the
frame, but a black paint job on headtube and cups made it look as if
the cups were simply part of the frame...and you never know what
you'll end up with when dealing with a mass-manufacturer, cost-cutting
entity like Giant.

Interestingly, I have cartridge bearings (in good condition) that fit
in the cups. Regardless, I suppose a new headset is the best option,
since I (clearly) know very little about headsets. I have my doubts
that it is even possible to track down compatible remaining parts
(crown race, etc.).

On Aug 19, 7:07 pm, David Bonnell <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm an idiot. The 'internal' cups are actually pressed into the
> frame, but a black paint job on headtube and cups made it look as if
> the cups were simply part of the frame...and you never know what
> you'll end up with when dealing with a mass-manufacturer, cost-cutting
> entity like Giant.
>
> Interestingly, I have cartridge bearings (in good condition) that fit
> in the cups. Regardless, I suppose a new headset is the best option,
> since I (clearly) know very little about headsets. I have my doubts
> that it is even possible to track down compatible remaining parts
> (crown race, etc.).

try J and B Importers catalogue for Pyramid