Re: How to fix an axle to a wheel, like a tricycle?

KERRY MONTGOMERY

Guest
----- Original Message -----
From: "dvt" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: How to fix an axle to a wheel, like a tricycle?

> JeffWills wrote:
>> ...since the
>> brake was at the "hub" before the differential, braking while cornering
>> hard would simply lock up the inside wheel and not apply any braking
>> force to the ground. This was only a problem for us shop rats- I can't
>> imagine Granny wailing through a high-G corner.

> I remember riding Grandma's trike a few decades back. You can't do
> high-g corners on those things; they're too tippy. Ask me how I know. ;-)
>
> Wind sails on Grandma's trike: fun but useless. All was fun until the
> frame
> developed a crack...
>
> --
> Dave
> dvt at psu dot edu
>
> Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
> and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
> get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
> circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
> novelist (1811-1896)

Worked in a Schwinn shop in the 70s - would have to occasionally test ride a
trike - you can do high-g corners (to the right, if I recall). These drove
only one wheel, so you could lean to the right and lift the left wheel off
the ground, then ride it like a two wheeler. Had to be bad on the wheels,
but those Schwinns were stout.
Kerry