Re: How to turn an Artistic Bike

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by unibiker, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. unibiker

    unibiker Guest

    cjreeder wrote:
    > *Once I can do circle wheelies on the bicycle, the motorcycle bug is
    > going to bite again! :D :D :D
    >
    > Chris *

    Chris,

    I thought you could use a little inspiration. I’ve seen previous info on
    this video, but many of the links have problems. Maybe this one will
    work for a while.
    For those who get bored with the two-wheeled stuff, don’t miss the
    one-wheeled trials motorcycle (with no forks) at about the 6-minute
    point of the video.

    WARNING – 30 MEGS – But well worth the wait!
    http://tinyurl.com/yw2aq

    Cheers

    --
    unibiker - What is that thing anyway?

    Jeff Baker
    [email protected]
    ______________________________

    Favorite comment (from a child) 'You can't do that. That's impossible.'
    'Unibike Gallery' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun01)
    unibiker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/473

  2. cjreeder

    cjreeder Guest

    unibiker wrote:
    > *
    > Chris,
    >

    > WARNING – 30 MEGS – But well worth the wait!
    > http://tinyurl.com/yw2aq
    >
    > Cheers *

    Dude!! I've seen stunt vids before, but this one TOTALLY rocked! The
    back tire lights with ease, there's balance even with no apparent
    motion, and he never cares if he has two wheels on the ground to get a
    good entrance. All with total playfulness of an Artisan.

    Maybe I should dust off the old dirt bike before I sell it... I need a
    better place to practice though.

    Chris

    --
    cjreeder - Unycycling Fogie

    Chris Reeder
    the Ex-Unicyclist
    http://www.reeder.unicyclist.com
    cjreeder's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4735

  3. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    cjreeder wrote:
    > *he never cares if he has two wheels on the ground to get a good
    > entrance.*

    Not being from the motor world, Chris, what does this mean?

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  4. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    That was an awesome video. Total flatland friggin' freestyle for
    motorcycles! I wonder what kind of competition it was, and where it was
    held? I couldn't make out the language.

    Notice two important points about that performance:

    1. Big audience, which obviously bought tickets to be there. It's nice
    to have an audience.

    2. The guy was a total entertainer. Never was the audience out of his
    mind; a great performance. Not just a bunch of tricks apparently being
    performed for that guy's benefit alone. Something many of us unicycle
    performers (Freestylers and Open-Xers) could learn from.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "That sucks." -- Ryan Atkins, at the bottom of a 10' cliff he just
    jumped off at the 2003 California MUni Weekend, looking at his bent
    seat.

  5. cjreeder

    cjreeder Guest

    U-Turn wrote:
    > *Not being from the motor world, Chris, what does this mean? *

    By "and he never cares if he has two wheels on the ground to get a good
    entrance." I mean that when you usually watch sport bike riders
    practicing stunts, there's a long smooth entrance before anything cool
    happens. Like the rider will get nice and solid in a straight line for
    a while, think twice a few times, then go for a single move like a
    wheelie or stoppie or whatever. But this guy, he doesn't even care if
    the bike is straight yet, he just pulls it up and wheelies it from
    whatever angle he's at.

    --
    cjreeder - Unycycling Fogie

    Chris Reeder
    the Ex-Unicyclist
    http://www.reeder.unicyclist.com
    cjreeder's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4735

  6. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    cjreeder wrote:
    > *But this guy, he doesn't even care if the bike is straight yet, he
    > just pulls it up and wheelies it from whatever angle he's at. *

    He makes it look disgustingly easy. But don't be fooled. It is obvious
    this guy is *very* practiced at what he's doing, and I wouldn't doubt if
    his performance is all pre-planned, down to the directions of each turn
    and what trick will be next. This makes him better in that he always
    knows where he's supposed to be going.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "That sucks." -- Ryan Atkins, at the bottom of a 10' cliff he just
    jumped off at the 2003 California MUni Weekend, looking at his bent
    seat.

  7. cjreeder

    cjreeder Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *He makes it look disgustingly easy. But don't be fooled. It is
    > obvious this guy is *very* practiced at what he's doing...*

    Oh, I KNOW how easy it's not. He is at one with his bike. He has
    likely spent years on them doing wheelies etc.

    --
    cjreeder - Unycycling Fogie

    Chris Reeder
    the Ex-Unicyclist
    http://www.reeder.unicyclist.com
    cjreeder's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4735

  8. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    cjreeder wrote:
    > *
    >
    > Oh, I KNOW how easy it's not. He is at one with his bike. He has
    > likely spent years on them doing wheelies etc. *

    And LOTS of tires!

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton

  9. cjreeder

    cjreeder Guest

    U-Turn wrote:
    > *And LOTS of tires! *

    Definitely!! The year I had my streetbike and was doing burnouts with
    it, I probably went through ten back tires. About three of those I
    bought new, the rest were halfway wornout freebies I salvaged off the
    scrap heap of the local motorcycle shop. I know, I know, John is going
    to say that isn't safe, using used tires. ;)

    Here's a shot of my best handiwork:
    http://jrquilting.com/jeremy/images/fig8.jpg

    --
    cjreeder - Unycycling Fogie

    Chris Reeder
    the Ex-Unicyclist
    http://www.reeder.unicyclist.com
    cjreeder's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4735

  10. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    cjreeder wrote:
    > *Here's a shot of my best handiwork:
    > http://jrquilting.com/jeremy/images/fig8.jpg *

    Whoa! Let's see, which skill level is _that_ figure 8?