Re: I am so vain

Zog The Undeniable

Guest
Arthur Clune wrote:

> [warning, mentions the H-word]
>
> I have to wear helmets for racing.

I have a simpler solution. Stick to time trialling, where you are still
treated as being a responsible adult ;-)

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Arthur Clune wrote:
>
> > [warning, mentions the H-word]
> >
> > I have to wear helmets for racing.

> I have a simpler solution. Stick to time trialling, where you are still
> treated as being a responsible adult ;-)

Not strictly true; they advise a hard shell (ie not aero eggshell) lid but
as you are basically just riding your bike along the road on your own within
the speed limit they can't enforce it.

in message <42388d91.0@entanet>, Zog The Undeniable
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Arthur Clune wrote:
>
>> [warning, mentions the H-word]
>>
>> I have to wear helmets for racing.

> I have a simpler solution. Stick to time trialling, where you are
> still treated as being a responsible adult ;-)

Are you? My club is insisting on helmets for time trials. Where can I
find out for certain, and is this a UCI rule or might different
national organisations be different?

;; All in all you're just another nick in the ball
-- Think Droid

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:

: I have a simpler solution. Stick to time trialling, where you are still
: treated as being a responsible adult ;-)

The boredom would kill me I'm afraid :)

Also, to be fair, I'd wear a helmet in 3/4th road races anyway. The standard
of bike handling isn't stunning and crashes are common.

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:

: Not strictly true; they advise a hard shell (ie not aero eggshell) lid but
: as you are basically just riding your bike along the road on your own within
: the speed limit they can't enforce it.

Without wishing to get into wether it's a good idea or not, of course the CTT
can enforce it. "If you aren't wearing a helmet we won't record your time"
would do it.

Arhtur

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

: Are you? My club is insisting on helmets for time trials. Where can I
: find out for certain, and is this a UCI rule or might different
: national organisations be different?

It's nothing to do with the UCI. It'll either be the TLI or (most likely)
the CTT that the TT is being run under. So the rules from that organistation
apply.

If it's a club event (and so not open to riders from outside the club)
I don't know if the club can apply extra rules over and above those of
the regulating body or not. They certainly can't for an open event.

Arthur

Arthur Clune wrote:
> MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : Not strictly true; they advise a hard shell (ie not aero eggshell)

lid but
> : as you are basically just riding your bike along the road on your

own within
> : the speed limit they can't enforce it.
>
> Without wishing to get into wether it's a good idea or not, of course

the CTT
> can enforce it. "If you aren't wearing a helmet we won't record your

time"
> would do it.

That's true. I'm sure there was an official thing about it being
mandatory for below a certain age somewhere. I only do club evening
TT's now so would only give me an advantage (I'd still come last but at
the bottom of a smaller field).

in message <[email protected]>, Arthur Clune
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : Are you? My club is insisting on helmets for time trials. Where can
> : I find out for certain, and is this a UCI rule or might different
> : national organisations be different?
>
> It's nothing to do with the UCI. It'll either be the TLI or (most
> likely) the CTT that the TT is being run under. So the rules from that
> organistation apply.

Scottish Cycling. I can't find anything on their website which says that
helmets are compulsory for anything except downhilling. However, I
can't find a formal statement of the rules for time trialling... does
anyone know where to find them?

;; this is not a .sig

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

: Scottish Cycling. I can't find anything on their website which says that
: helmets are compulsory for anything except downhilling. However, I
: can't find a formal statement of the rules for time trialling... does
: anyone know where to find them?

Ah. D'oh. As in so many things Scotland is far more sensible than the
rest of the UK and only has one govening body.

I guess the general point I made that the club can enforce extra conditions
in a club TT if it wants remains, but I don't know what the position of the
SCU for Open TTs is.

Arthur