Re: I BUY YOUR BIKE

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by GWood, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. GWood

    GWood Guest

    On a related but OT thread.....

    Probably 75% of the 100 or so emails I get per day are ads for various off
    shore pharmacies, software, knock-off watches and the like. Lots are now
    trying to peddle me goods in Russian text, so I don't even know what they're
    trying to sell me.

    I have set up dozens of email filter rules via Outlook, so most get routed
    to the bit bucket on the way in. Interesting that the spammers will go to
    the effort of trying to mask the text in their mails (i.e. substituting "1"
    for "i" and similar pattern matching) to try to fool the email filters. As
    if someone (or company) who deliberately filters the original trash will
    actually change their minds when the doctored email gets through the filter?

    I'll be one happy guy when the big hand starts to slap these guys. What a
    waste of oxygen.

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I think this must be an example of a scammer email. Thanks for the
    > head's up!

    Tags:

  2. MattB

    MattB Guest

    GWood wrote:
    > On a related but OT thread.....
    >
    > Probably 75% of the 100 or so emails I get per day are ads for various off
    > shore pharmacies, software, knock-off watches and the like. Lots are now
    > trying to peddle me goods in Russian text, so I don't even know what they're
    > trying to sell me.
    >
    > I have set up dozens of email filter rules via Outlook, so most get routed
    > to the bit bucket on the way in. Interesting that the spammers will go to
    > the effort of trying to mask the text in their mails (i.e. substituting "1"
    > for "i" and similar pattern matching) to try to fool the email filters. As
    > if someone (or company) who deliberately filters the original trash will
    > actually change their minds when the doctored email gets through the filter?

    It must work on someone or they would just dry up for lack of business.
    I'm amazed when I think about that. Even if it was something I really
    wanted, I would not respond to spam (in a serious way) for anything. I'd
    try to buy from a non-spamming competitor.

    > I'll be one happy guy when the big hand starts to slap these guys. What a
    > waste of oxygen.

    I'm not holding my breath. Most of these come from places where the
    authorities have much bigger fish to fry.

    Matt

  3. On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:55:38 -0600, MattB <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It must work on someone or they would just dry up for lack of business.
    >I'm amazed when I think about that. Even if it was something I really
    >wanted, I would not respond to spam (in a serious way) for anything. I'd
    > try to buy from a non-spamming competitor.

    They only have to have a response rate of one in a million to be
    profitable -- a bit more than that for the ones that hire professional
    spammers, cause those tend to cost a buck per 1000-10000 spams.

    Jasper

  4. Where they come from they are the authorities.

    JHH