Re: I crash into religion

In article <[email protected]>,
Roger <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>

> >>So not answering at all -- cowardly that is.
> >>

> I can show you the dents in my helmet. I am glad they are not in my head.
>
> Had I not been wearing a helmet, I could not show the dents, but I
> probably could not post to this ng either.
>
> Don't expect anybosy to tell you that they should have been wearing a
> helmet. Not having one when you need it is likely to be a once in a
> lifetime experience you never get the chance to tell others about.

Your head is harder than your helmet, so probably your
head would not have sustained any dents.

--
Michael Press

In uk.rec.cycling Paul Cassel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Chris Malcolm wrote:

>>> I agree with you and have myself made that argument to my friend who
>>> rides in a full armor suit on a bicycle or motorcycle. He recently took
>>> a stop light tip over on his Ducati which broke his leg, knee, shoulder
>>> and ribs and maybe more. His speed was maybe 3 mph.

>> The human body is designed to withstand much heavier falls than that
>> without breaking bones. If these injuries happened to your friend in a
>> 3mph fall while wearing full body armour then he must suffer badly
>> from osteoporosis, or was he perhaps run over by car?

> He is in great health and has strong bones. I speculate that the mass of
> the bike acted against him. I can't account for his injuries else wise.

Ducatis are not heavy bikes, and they have low seat heights, and at
3mph about the worst it could do would be to fall on one of his
legs. Most folk whose bigger heavier bikes fall on them at low speeds
suffer nothing worse than a bruise. There must have been something
extraordinary about this accident.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Chris Malcolm wrote:

>> He is in great health and has strong bones. I speculate that the mass of
>> the bike acted against him. I can't account for his injuries else wise.

> Ducatis are not heavy bikes, and they have low seat heights, and at
> 3mph about the worst it could do would be to fall on one of his
> legs. Most folk whose bigger heavier bikes fall on them at low speeds
> suffer nothing worse than a bruise. There must have been something
> extraordinary about this accident.

I can only report what occurred and what the results were. In his case,
he had rather massive injuries from a walking speed tip over whilst
wearing a full armoured leather suit. It made no sense to me compared to
other crashes I've seen. My crash (see OP) on my bicycle with no
protective gear at all and at enormously higher speed resulted in much
fewer injuries of lesser severity.

Make of it what you will.

Sorni wrote:

> Frank, how can I put this clearly. I have absolutely no problem with the
> /substance/ of what you say, regardless of whether I agree with it. It's
> the /style/ of being the the almighty know-it-all who lectures the poor,
> unenlightened masses on what is "of value" that I find objectionable.

>From here, it looks like you're blinded by your prejudices. It makes

you unable to see the mirror.

Who was it, posting from the helmet promoting camp, who called posters
"stupid" and "asses" and other insulting terms?

Yes, we know who it was. We just don't know why you forget you've done
it.

Regarding my posting style: I'll admit to being purposefully uncivil
to a certain French lawyer, one who always leads with a mocking,
insulting tone and no factual knowledge. But nothing I've said to you
has been nearly as rude as what you've shouted at others.

What stands out in my mind is that I've obviously studied this issue
far more than you have. I've presented far more figures, citations,
links and facts in this conversation than you have. Come to think of
it, so has Carl Fogel, and so have several other helmet skeptics. And
this obviously bothers you.

Not only have your posts been almost completely free of such facts,
you've often taken offense at the idea that someone might actually
benefit from study.

To my mind, that is glorifying ignorance. I'm not "politically
correct" enough to refrain from saying so.

- Frank Krygowski

Roger wrote:

> I can show you the dents in my helmet. I am glad they are not in my head.

That's simple enough.

> Had I not been wearing a helmet, I could not show the dents, but I
> probably could not post to this ng either.

That, however, sounds like speculation, and already it runs counter to
much data.

> Don't expect anybosy to tell you that they should have been wearing a
> helmet. Not having one when you need it is likely to be a once in a
> lifetime experience you never get the chance to tell others about.

And that is absolutely false. For it to be true, helmets would have to
be making a tremendous difference in serious and fatal head injury
rates. This thread contains much information proving that they simply
do not make such a difference.

Visit www.cyclehelmets.org and start reading. Or try reading
http://press.psprings.co.uk/bmj/march/ac722.pdf

- Frank Krygowski

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 13 May 2006 16:17:55 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"To troll is life
> > everything else
> > is just waiting" - John Furtivesnips Trollinsum

> You are cowardly too -- not giving substantive answers in response to
> on-topic questions I ask you. I'm still waiting for an answer about
> your hearing or not hearing someone bragging about helmet prices.

"I'm trolling more
these days, but
enjoying it less" - John Furtivesnips Trollinsum

Roger wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>

> >>So not answering at all -- cowardly that is.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just for the record: I *did not* write that.

Roger wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>

>>> So not answering at all -- cowardly that is.
>>>

> I can show you the dents in my helmet. I am glad they are not in my
> head.
> Had I not been wearing a helmet, I could not show the dents, but I
> probably could not post to this ng either.
>
> Don't expect anybosy to tell you that they should have been wearing a
> helmet. Not having one when you need it is likely to be a once in a
> lifetime experience you never get the chance to tell others about.

Oh, you're gonna get flamed for THAT, Roger! How dare you have a personal
opinion based on your personal experience?!? Especially since it MIGHT be
right -- OR WRONG -- it's extra bothersome to techies since it's "feeling
based" and not "look up biased studies to back up my preconceived
notion"-based.

Buckle up!

Sandy wrote:
> Dans le message de
> news:[email protected],
> 41 <[email protected]>
> > Sandy wrote:
> >> Dans le message de
> >> news:[email protected],
> >> 41 <[email protected]>

> >> OR
> >>
> >> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1443374&dopt=Abstract
> >>
> >> http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/byname/epidural-hematoma.htm
> >>
> >> http://depts.washington.edu/hiprc/practices/topic/bicycles/helmeteffect.html
> >>
> >> Take a look again at what you wrote. It's not a sin to see it may
> >> be far from the truth.

> > No, you first. The references you supplied show you (a) did not read
> > what I wrote and (b) do not understand the problem, AT ALL. The first
> > two are entirely irrelevant and the third, containing capsule
> > summaries
> > of other studies, might only possibly be relevant (in fact, those
> > studies do not have the detail necessary to know). You seem to think I
> > (a) said it was impossible to have a skull fracture without first
> > dying, and (b) that it is impossible to have a skull fracture from a
> > deceleration injury without dying. Indeed you might get that
> > impression
> > from just the part you snipped out. The first mis-reading shows a
> > complete misunderstanding of the entire problem, the second shows an
> > only somewhat more refined misunderstanding of the entire problem.
> > Hint: read e.g. the Snell standards, FULLY. And why not, what I wrote
> > as well, noting what parts of those Snell standards I do and do not
> > refer to:
> >
> > #> If had landed square on
> > #> the top right side of my head without my helmet, I probably would
> > have
> > #> fractured my skull. I believe that because I separated my
> > shoulder,
> >
> > #> and it hit second.
> >
> > #It's hard to see how that would have happened without your brain
> > being
> > #scrambled first. At the 300g deceleration against a flat surace, you
> > #are not supposed to be at the limit of skull fracture, but you are
> > #supposed to be at the limit of brain scrambling. In other words, by
> > the
> > #time a bicycle helmet (as opposed to a hard hat) is protecting you
> > #against skull fracture, you are alr eady dead, i.e., even without any
> > #helmet, you will sustain a mortal injury to your brain before your
> > #skull fractures. That is not the case if it is you who is at rest
> > and
> >
> > #the object that is flying against you, because in that cas e, your
> > #deceleration is 0g no matter what, comfortably below the 300g limit.
> > #But that is not what bicycle helmets are designed for.

> Last one - patience exhausted. But I'll read your reply.

Oh, be serious. You didn't even have the patience to read it the first
time, much less the second, since you merely repeat your previous
error:

> You state that brain fatality will occur be fore a fracture. Take a look
> upstairs.

No, you take a look: I said that occurs under certain conditions, which
you omit because you do not understand: your second reference describes
impact by a moving object to a stationary head, which I explicitly
excluded from the situation at hand. The first describes basilar skull
fracture, a rare fracture that occurs either from blows to the head or
extreme forces to the torso not involving the head, as in auto crashes
but not bicycle crashes. The third reference may possibly refer to
situations covered by my statement, but there is no detail so it is
impossible to know.

I will spell it out for you but I do understand it will do no good: as
specified in the Snell, and other standards, impacts may be against
surfaces of many different shapes, from flat to point contact. The
results of impacts to such surfaces differ widely. I referred only to
the best-case scenario for the skull, impact against a flat surface.
Impact to the top right side as described by Beattie, as I replied to,
causing rotation in the coronal plane, is by contrast one of the
worst-case scenarios for brain injury. Impact against a non-flat
surface can easily result in skull fracture before devastating brain
injury. And yes, of course all of this is in terms of likelihoods, as
all the biomechanical head injury data is all based on statistical
norms and probabilities: some skulls are indeed thicker, and numb-er,
than others.

<http://www.bartleby.com/107/18.html>
As you, or at least someone who reads things, can see from the table
[note: the entries in the last three rows are displaced by one column],
the ultimate compressive strength of bone is about 3x that of white
oak, about 50% greater than granite, and about one-third that of steel,
at considerably less than one-third the weight, i.e. the
strength-to-weight ratio of bone exceeds that of medium steel by about
25%. Let's see; how would that compare with styrofoam exactly?

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Roger <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I can show you the dents in my helmet. I am glad they are not in my head.

> Your head is harder than your helmet, so probably your
> head would not have sustained any dents.

<http://www.bartleby.com/107/18.html>
[note: the entries in the last three rows are displaced by one column]
Ultimate compressive strength of bone: about 3x white oak, about 50%
greater than granite, strength-to-weight ratio of bone greater than
that of medium steel by about 25%.

Figures for styrofoam?

Sorni wrote:
> Aren't there "studies" that show seat belts are ineffective in crashes over,
> say, X mph?

Are there such studies?

R.

Roger wrote:

> Don't expect anybosy to tell you that they should have been wearing a
> helmet. Not having one when you need it is likely to be a once in a
> lifetime experience you never get the chance to tell others about.

On the contrary. There was one time I stood up injudiciously in an
unfamiliar low-ceiling cellar, banging my head on a row of nails; a
helmet would have been useful in that I wouldn't have suffered a minor
scalp laceration (although I may well have bumped my head several more
times than I did, since it would have increased my height by a couple of
inches). There was one time I was dozing off in the back of a minibus
when the driver swerved for some reason; the side of my head banged into
the window. Had I been wearing a helmet, the side of the helmet would
probably have been resting against the glass rather than my head being a
couple of inches away.

Now, aside from a few minutes' mild pain in each case and having to go
and wash out the scrape in the former case, neither was exactly a
life-changing experience.

As regarding situations involving permanent or long-lasting serious head
injury, I refer to the words of Brian Walker, who runs a helmet testing
company. He had this to say regarding a case where a non-helmetted
cyclist suffered head injury: "the very eminent QC under whose
instruction I was privileged to work, tried repeatedly to persuade the
equally eminent neurosurgeons acting for either side, and the technical
expert, to state that one must be safer wearing a helmet than without.
All three refused to so do, stating that they had seen severe brain
damage and fatal injury both with and without cycle helmets being worn.
In their view, the performance of cycle helmets is much too complex a
subject for such a sweeping claim to be made."

R.

Roger wrote:

> I can show you the dents in my helmet. I am glad they are not in my head.

Here's a test for you: take a piece of human bone and a piece of
expanded polystyrene. Try and dent each one in turn, simply using
pressure from your fingers and thumbs. One is easily dented, the
other not.

> Had I not been wearing a helmet, I could not show the dents, but I
> probably could not post to this ng either.

I /very/ big assumptive leap. Lots of people have "helmet saved my
life" anecdores. They seem to collect these tales at a much
greater rate than unhelmeted people in the pre-helmet era ever went
getting killed, so either the tales aren't as certain as they're
made out to be or helmeted riders are taking potential death
tumbles at a much higher frequency. Neither bodes very well for "a
helmet saved my life!" tales.

> Don't expect anybosy to tell you that they should have been wearing a
> helmet. Not having one when you need it is likely to be a once in a
> lifetime experience you never get the chance to tell others about.

Read the specifications to which helmets are built. The sort of
crash they will help with is not generally the sort that is life
threatening.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Richard <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sorni wrote:
>> Aren't there "studies" that show seat belts are ineffective in crashes over,
>> say, X mph?

> Are there such studies?

Basic physics suggests that there are speeds for which a speedbelt
will be ineffective[1] :)

However, Sorni's comparison (deliberately I suspect) skates around a
big main difference between seatbelts and cycle helmets which is that
whilst seatbelts have been shown to be effective at the speeds which
make up the overwhelming majority of deadly vehicle accidents, a large
proportion of deadly cyclist accidents happen at speeds which exceed
the design parameters of cycle helmets[1]

Not only that, but seatbelts tend to reduce all injuries (there's an
increase in chest injuries IIRC, but this is offset by the reduction
in all the others). This makes sense, since they stop the body
bouncing around inside the vehicle in a crash. Cycle helmets can only
reduce head injuries, and head injuries are the sole cause of death in
a minority of cyclist deaths[4].

Which means that even if you believe cycle helmets to be effective at
what they claim to do, the proportional benefit you get from wearing
one is much smaller than that given by wearing a seat belt, because of
the lack of coverage of the "accident space".

(Assuming that you're wearing a cycle helmet in the hope that it will
reduce the risk of death / serious injury of course. If you're wearing
one in order to reduce gravel rash, then that's a different kettle of
turnips entirely!)

cheers, Phil

[1] Back of an envelope calculation: Cycle helmets work by absorbing
the kinetic energy of the head in an impact, using it to crush the
polystyrene. Since KE goes as the square of velocity, and the
design limit of the best cycle helmets[2] is 15 mph, a 21mph
relative velocity strike exceeds the capabilities of the best
cycle helmets by 100%.
[2] Those that conform to the Snell standards. Most don't.[3]
[3] See http://www.cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2023.pdf for a really
informative article on cycle helmets and testing standards etc
etc. This was published in the magazine of the UK Cycle Touring
Club "Cycle" and studiously avoids the cycle helmet effectiveness
argument :)
[4] I belive about half of cyclist deaths are coded as due to head
injury, but about half of those had other injuries which would
probably have caused the death of the victim. However, I can't
find the original reference in which I read this so I'm going from
memory. Clarifications welcome...

Phil Armstrong <[email protected]> wrote:
> will be ineffective[1] :)

[snip]
> the design parameters of cycle helmets[1]

Argh! Footnote clash.

The first one was going to quote the Princess of Wales crash & point
out that the only survivor was the one wearing a seatbelt & the car
had been described as going 120mph+. Thus implying that the upper
velocity limit of seatbelt effectiveness was actually quite high.

I cut it out on the grounds that a) it was anecdotal and b) the post
was long enough as it was. But forgot the footnote marker. Oh well.

cheers, Phil

On 13 May 2006 19:41:16 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>....as would a laxative.

This sort of contentless insult shows you've got nothing substantive
to say.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On Sun, 14 May 2006 08:14:21 GMT, "Sorni"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> You over-snipped, as usual, but it was about the
>/process/ of making a decisi

This "you oversnipped" argument of yours is getting tiresome.

If someone snips what you write so as to *change* the meaning of what
you wrote, then you have a very legitimate beef with them and should
call them on it

But if they snip what you write to take issue with one particular
*part* of what you wrote, we should all be thankful for it -- it's
being economical with words.

You may feel that when you set up a series of steps in your
"reasoning" and someone shoots a whole in one step by snipping it out
and demonstating it's wrong they are changing the meaning of what you
wrote. They're not. But by breaking that step, the series is weaker.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Phil Armstrong wrote:
> Phil Armstrong <[email protected]> wrote:

> The first one was going to quote the Princess of Wales crash & po int
> out that the only survivor was the one wearing a seatbelt

Seatbelt and airbag.

> & the car
> had been described as going 120mph+.

It was described as going 121mph, but that was a falsehood.

The true speed of the crash does not seem to be known, but most
reasonable estimates are in the 50-70mph range.
<http://tinyurl.com/luhly>

These details are easy to check before posting, and it's better to do
so, because once posted, one piece of misinformation lives far longer,
and spreads far wider, than any number of corrections.

> Thus implying that the upper
> velocity limit of seatbelt effectiveness was actually quite high.

The most beneficial safety measure in this case would have been a guard
rail. The bastards in charge apparently still refuse to put one up,
since then they would be admitting fault, which La Republique Francaise
can never do. One can't help wondering if someone from this forum
advised them.

41 wrote:
> Phil Armstrong wrote:
> > Phil Armstrong <[email protected]> wrote:

> > The first one was going to quote the Princess of Wales crash & po int
> > out that the only survivor was the one wearing a seatbelt

> Seatbelt and airbag.
>
> > & the car
> > had been described as going 120mph+.

> It was described as going 121mph, but that was a falsehood.

There was supposed to be another link here:
<http://tinyurl.com/rofj5>

> The true speed of the crash does not seem to be known, but most
> reasonable estimates are in the 50-70mph range.
> <http://tinyur l.com/luhly>

> different circumstances, different decisions.
>
> But, in a way yes! I check the details on the info sheet and look for
> both contraindications and side effects. I have had occasion to check
> with my GP the appropriateness of prescription drugs and have had
> cause to discuss expressed side effects of drugs.

So, no then :)