Re: I just switched to an XT

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by BT Humble, Jun 23, 2007.

  1. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    I just switched to a 486, and I can't believe how much fater I'm
    working!

    BTH

    Tags:

  2. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    BT Humble wrote:
    > I just switched to a 486, and I can't believe how much fater I'm
    > working!

    I've got a copy of DOS 2.11 on 5" floppy you might need.

    Theo

  3. Theo Bekkers wrote:

    >> I just switched to a 486, and I can't believe how much fater I'm
    >> working!

    > I've got a copy of DOS 2.11 on 5" floppy you might need.

    Don't laugh, even today, it's commonish for some embedded projects to use a
    86/286 type board with an early flavour of DOS. Development software is
    nearly free (or free in some instances) so it makes for a really cheap base if
    you're not making too many.

    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622
    <http://counter.li.org>

  4. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    Theo Bekkers wrote:
    > BTHumble wrote:
    > > I just switched to a 486, and I can't believe how much fater I'm
    > > working!

    > I've got a copy of DOS 2.11 on 5" floppy you might need.
    >
    > Theo

    2.11? Don't waste my time on frivolities, Theo - I've got a copy of
    PC-DOS 2.01 on a 360k single sided 3.5" floppy!

    (It was for the ill-fated IBM JX, which was "test marketed" in
    Australia and Japan, and sank like a stone.)

    BTH

  5. Dancier

    Dancier New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
  6. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "BT Humble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Theo Bekkers wrote:
    >> BTHumble wrote:
    >> > I just switched to a 486, and I can't believe how much fater I'm
    >> > working!

    >> I've got a copy of DOS 2.11 on 5" floppy you might need.
    >>
    >> Theo

    > 2.11? Don't waste my time on frivolities, Theo - I've got a copy of
    > PC-DOS 2.01 on a 360k single sided 3.5" floppy!
    >
    > (It was for the ill-fated IBM JX, which was "test marketed" in
    > Australia and Japan, and sank like a stone.)

    They had the JX machines at my high school. I don't remember as awful lot
    about them other than lunchtime sessions of "Alley Cat" and trying to write
    a paint program in Quickbasic.

  7. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    Dancier wrote:
    > Just been out hunting for a freeware backup program and came across
    > these DOS programs.
    >
    > http://www.woundedmoon.org/msdos.html

    Hmm, some of those could be handy (I'm still using DOS programs a bit
    in my Fiji-school-computer-lab charity work).

    Thanks!

    BTH

  8. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > "BTHumble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > (It was for the ill-fated IBM JX, which was "test marketed" in
    > > Australia and Japan, and sank like a stone.)

    > They had the JX machines at my high school. I don't remember as awful lot
    > about them other than lunchtime sessions of "Alley Cat" and trying to write
    > a paint program in Quickbasic.

    When I started uni at Bathurst in 1991, they still had a fair number
    of them that they were getting rid of. I think I bought 5 systems for
    $100, consisting of a 4.77MHz PC with 512kB, two 360k 3.5" floppies,
    and a 12" colour monitor. Those systems were sold for $3000+ in
    1986... ;-)

    BTH

  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 02:10:25 -0700, BT Humble wrote:

    > Hmm, some of those could be handy (I'm still using DOS programs a bit
    > in my Fiji-school-computer-lab charity work).

    As a resident in a fairly affluent area I see a few boxes being thrown
    out, and I've probably got some old PC hardware lying around. Although
    freight's killer, if you're bouncing back and forth then some can be taken
    with you. Is there a minimum spec you'd like me to keep an eye out for?

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "Forty-two" - Deep Thought

  10. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 02:10:25 -0700,BTHumble wrote:
    > > Hmm, some of those could be handy (I'm still using DOS programs a bit
    > > in my Fiji-school-computer-lab charity work).

    > As a resident in a fairly affluent area I see a few boxes being thrown
    > out, and I've probably got some old PC hardware lying around. Although
    > freight's killer, if you're bouncing back and forth then some can be taken
    > with you. Is there a minimum spec you'd like me to keep an eye out for?

    Laptops only, minimum of 80486. The laptops are easier to freight,
    and more importantly when you're running a lab off solar power every
    watt you don't use is 2 that you don't have to generate.

    Here's some pictures from the latest trip (March/April 2007):

    http://www.smallsolar.org/success/mar2007/index.htm
    http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/742/trip_to_vanua_balavu_1.htm

    BTH

  11. Gringo

    Gringo Guest

    So many geeks....

    Now back to chain sag. My only guess would be the derailleur is a short
    cage design where old one was a long cage?

    this is a BASIC guess....

    JC