Re: Idea for granola bars

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by zxcvbob, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    On 12/17/2004, zxcvbob wrote:
    > Do you think this would work?
    >
    > Most loose granola is very high in fat; some off-brand of granola bars
    > that I tried was full of hydrogenated fats (it even tasted greasy.) We
    > like Nature Valley granola bars, but they are kinda expensive. They are
    > a little high in sugar, but that's not all *that* bad.
    >
    > I should be able to make something similar by making Rice Krispie Treats
    > substituting rolled oats for about 2/3 of the crisp rice cereal. Then
    > add a bunch of almonds, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, raisins, and
    > toasted wheat germ. I think it might work.
    >
    > Should I toast the oats, or just use them straight from the box?
    > Has anyone tried this before? Did it suck?
    >
    > Thanks, regards,
    > Bob

    Well, I tried it today, and it was a success. DD really liked the
    sunflower seeds in it. Next time, it needs more dried fruit, and maybe
    some wheat germ or grated coconut. And I might toast the almonds when I
    toast the oats. I think you could use butter and real vanilla without
    ruining them :)

    Bob's Fruit and Nut Bars

    1/4 cup margarine
    30 to 32 large marshmallows (half a bag)
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I used imitation)
    1 cup almond kernals
    1/2 cup roasted salted sunflower kernals
    1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
    3/4 cup raisins
    3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
    3 cups crispy rice cereal

    Toast the oats in a 300 degree oven for about 20 or 30 minutes.
    Meanwhile, melt the margarine in the microwave in a very large bowl.
    Add the marshmallows and toss to coat with the melted margarine. Zap
    for about a minute to melt the marshmallows (they will puff up really
    big), add the vanilla, and stir them down. Stir in the fruit and nuts.
    Stir in the [still hot] rolled oats. Lastly, add the rice. Mix
    thoroughly. Press into a glass 13x9" lasagna pan and let it cool until
    set and no longer sticky. Cut into bars.

    Best regards,
    Bob

    Tags:

  2. Zywicki

    Zywicki Guest

    Thanks for the report.

    I made Granolla for gift baskets, and can now produce the recipe while
    sleeping.
    One recipe yields not quite two quarts. Or was it more than two?
    Don't remember - I was asleep.

    I looked at the ingredients on a hard granolla bar and was surprised to
    find several nut flours listed.
    Bet they help hold things together.