Re: I'm bummed...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Goomba38, Aug 6, 2005.

  1. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    >>Uh oh... you mean, like one of those "free" dinners where people try to
    >>sell you something or get you to volunteer? Perhaps they didn't come
    >>because they felt it wasn't *really* a social brunch? Just *my* guess...
    >>?

    > See, now, Goomba, I kind of had that thought, too. Regardless, if they
    > said they'd be there (and some did) then the only thing keeping them
    > away should be a hospital bed with them in it. In the freakin'
    > Emergency Room! and I can't believe that some people can't say "no" .
    > Gutless wonders.

    Oh I agree. If they said they'd be there, BE THERE. If they said "We'll
    try" or "We'll seeeeeeeeeee" and they knew it was just a sales pitch
    type event, they probably kinda blew it off thinking no one would notice
    they're missing? Not necessarily nice, yet not quite as bad as ditching
    out of a "social only" party, IMO. People dislike sales/volunteer events
    given under the guise of a social event, bottom line.
    Talk to any Tupperware/Amway/Pampered Chef hostess who ever tried to
    call these functions "parties" and you'll probably hear how common it is
    to be stood up.

    Tags:

  2. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]
    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >
    >>>Uh oh... you mean, like one of those "free" dinners where people try to
    >>>sell you something or get you to volunteer? Perhaps they didn't come
    >>>because they felt it wasn't *really* a social brunch? Just *my* guess...
    >>>?

    >> See, now, Goomba, I kind of had that thought, too. Regardless, if they
    >> said they'd be there (and some did) then the only thing keeping them away
    >> should be a hospital bed with them in it. In the freakin' Emergency
    >> Room! and I can't believe that some people can't say "no" . Gutless
    >> wonders.

    > Oh I agree. If they said they'd be there, BE THERE. If they said "We'll
    > try" or "We'll seeeeeeeeeee" and they knew it was just a sales pitch type
    > event, they probably kinda blew it off thinking no one would notice
    > they're missing? Not necessarily nice, yet not quite as bad as ditching
    > out of a "social only" party, IMO. People dislike sales/volunteer events
    > given under the guise of a social event, bottom line.
    > Talk to any Tupperware/Amway/Pampered Chef hostess who ever tried to call
    > these functions "parties" and you'll probably hear how common it is to be
    > stood up.
    >==========

    I understand that; I've been a hapless guest to those..

    No, this was UP FRONT, I walk for the AHA and am giving a Brunch to
    potential Team mates - not the other way around.. NOT a brunch and BTW...
    do/would you... Nope. This was entitled AHA Brunch. No guess work and
    several conversations as to the whats and whys...

    No excuses... well, maybe, if they're really, really creative and/or involve
    death certificates...

    Cyndi

  3. Goomba38 <[email protected]> writes:

    >out of a "social only" party, IMO. People dislike sales/volunteer events
    >given under the guise of a social event, bottom line.

    That's true, but Cyndi wasn't having a party and just not mentioning
    the volunteer event attached. That's what makes people upset, when
    you're invited to a party and then a couple days later the hostess
    mentions, oh gee, we might be selling some stamps that night too...
    Cyndi's event was not really under the guise of a social event, it was
    intended to be a discussion of a volunteer group. So those who said
    they would be there knew up front what it was about and if they didn't
    want to come, they should have said so.
    It's kind of rude to wanta free brunch but not want to consider
    helping a charity though. Free food? Yes! Helping others? No way! ;)

    Stacia