Re: I'm bummed...

Edwin Pawlowski

Guest
"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> the party was to be held at the cottage, and that is
> at least 4 1/2 hours by car, each way. Sorry, but I have two dogs who
> were
> not invited and had no one to check on them for me even if I did want to
> spend
> 9 hours driving back and forth to a party that could have been held at a
> more
> convenient location.

Depends on how well you like the aunt. If I really wanted to attend, I'd
ship the dogs to the kennel and make a weekend of it. Otherwise, I'd have
declined also.

> Apparently this is becoming quite common these days. Rather than spending
> $30,000 or more on lavish weddings, couples are taking off to the
> Caribbean or
> elsewhere and having smaller venue weddings. That is fine for the couple
> or
> the parents who are paying for the reception, but it's hell on the guests.
> The
> latest one I heard of is being done on a cruise ship. So each guest will
> be
> expected to get him or herself to the point of departure and pay for the
> cruise.

My wife's niece just called to ask if we'd go to the Caribbean next spring
for her wedding. My wife told her no, we're going to Italy. Not changing
plans. We've been to two of her wedding so far and don't need to spend a
bundle for something that seems temporary anyway.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/