Re: Informed opinions wanted

Mark Mitchell

Guest
On Tue, 03 May 2005 16:56:38 -0500, Bob Ray wrote:

> I'm curious to read people's opinions on a recent experience I had with a
> local bike shop (Now Sports on Lexington in St. Paul, MN).
>
> I bought an '04 Jamis Quest there last week for my wife. The sales person
> and I agreed on a price ($1150). We both agreed that the price included
> swapping out the cassette for an Ultegra 12-27 at no charge. I paid for
> the bike and we wanted to leave it there so they could complete the change
> but he insisted that we take it with us so she could ride until the
> cassette arrived.

Years ago (mid 80's), I bought my first 'real bike' (a Trek 850) from the
Now Sports on Snelling.

I rode it for maybe a week, and the rear wheel got so far out of true that
the tire was rubbing on the chainstays. I took it back into the shop,
cheerfully pointed out the problem, and asked if they would be willing to
true it up for me.

I was told that they would not because "you've been riding it off-road" (I
rode it down a wet, grassy hill). I pointed out that it was an
_All_Terrain_Bike_. Didn't matter. No trueing. No discount. I couldn't
even jump the line and pay to have it trued right now.

I took it to the small Schwinn dealer down the road about 2 miles. Paid
full price, got it back the next day. Haven't darkened a Now Sports
doorway ever since.

Mark