Re: **&^%$($ insects!!

NewRiderPS

Guest
On Fri, 2 May 2008 21:35:57 +0100, "Colin Reed"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>So, I finally got around to adding the bits and pieces to my new bike (I may
>have mentioned in another thread that I got a new hybrid :) Giving it it's
>first shopping trip outing I was riding back on the path along the side of
>the Trent in Newark, and MY GOD the amount of midges and assorted tiny flies
>by the river and under trees. Seriously a case of head down as much as
>possible, and breathe through the nose! I guess it's that time of year.
>in full glory ;-) Panniers are mainly full of beer, so the uphill ride home
>was a good test!
>
>http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/colinreed/IMAGE_109.jpg
>http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/colinreed/IMAGE_110.jpg
>
>Colin

Pretty good solution:

Get a nylon stocking, the sheerer the better. Cut out a section near
the top to make a ~4" high tube. Best to use the large-sized to get a
diameter that's not too tight.

You can wear it around your neck and when you get to the clouds of
bugs areas you can pull it up over mouth and breathe rather freely
while blocking inadvertant ingestion of midges and flying no-see-ums.

On May 3, 2:56 pm, NewRiderPS <[email protected]> wrote:

> Get a nylon stocking, the sheerer the better. Cut out a section near
> the top to make a ~4" high tube. Best to use the large-sized to get a
> diameter that's not too tight.
>
> You can wear it around your neck and when you get to the clouds of
> bugs areas you can pull it up over mouth and breathe rather freely
> while blocking inadvertant ingestion of midges and flying no-see-ums.

Remember to remove it again before visiting your bank.

--
Dave...

On Sun, 4 May 2008 06:23:51 -0700 (PDT), dkahn400
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On May 3, 2:56 pm, NewRiderPS <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Get a nylon stocking, the sheerer the better. Cut out a section near
>> the top to make a ~4" high tube. Best to use the large-sized to get a
>> diameter that's not too tight.
>>
>> You can wear it around your neck and when you get to the clouds of
>> bugs areas you can pull it up over mouth and breathe rather freely
>> while blocking inadvertant ingestion of midges and flying no-see-ums.

>Remember to remove it again before visiting your bank.

LOL, especially if you use the drive up lane on your bike, eh?

What about stopping at the local convenience store for a snack?

To the puzzled cyclist: "No charge; take all the snacks you want, just
don't hurt me, mate".

Also, beware being uh, mis-identified as a 'terrorist' on the
multi-use path.

Sigh.

:)