Re-install test drive...

OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:

> Indeed. :)
> I'm just glad to have my newsreader back!
>
> Google groups is not only a PITA, but it does not support binary groups.
> :-(
> Peace!
> Om

Oooh! I miss my Newswatcher and direct access to USENET. Got DSL and
have to play the Bellsouth game which means going to Google groups.
For a couple of months I could get direct USENET by unplugging my DSL
and returning to dial-up, but keeping both DSL and dial-up seemed
silly, so I dropped my dial-up. Still having withdrawals. What's PITA?

> OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
>

> > Indeed. :)
> > I'm just glad to have my newsreader back!
> >
> > Google groups is not only a PITA, but it does not support binary groups.
> > :-(
> > Peace!
> > Om

> Oooh! I miss my Newswatcher and direct access to USENET. Got DSL and
> have to play the Bellsouth game which means going to Google groups.
> For a couple of months I could get direct USENET by unplugging my DSL
> and returning to dial-up, but keeping both DSL and dial-up seemed
> silly, so I dropped my dial-up. Still having withdrawals. What's PITA?

PITA is Pain In The Ass. <G>
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****."
- Jack Nicholson

On 16 Apr 2006 05:36:41 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
>

> > Indeed. :)
> > I'm just glad to have my newsreader back!
> >
> > Google groups is not only a PITA, but it does not support binary groups.
> > :-(
> > Peace!
> > Om

> Oooh! I miss my Newswatcher and direct access to USENET. Got DSL and
> have to play the Bellsouth game which means going to Google groups.
> For a couple of months I could get direct USENET by unplugging my DSL
> and returning to dial-up, but keeping both DSL and dial-up seemed
> silly, so I dropped my dial-up. Still having withdrawals. What's PITA?

Why can't you access usenet through your Bellsouth account?
http://www.dpo.uab.edu/dialup/bssettings.html
http://tinylink.com/?e4DYeSLio1
DSL is dialup on steriods.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

sf wrote:
:: On 16 Apr 2006 05:36:41 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
::
::: OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
:::
:::
::: > Indeed. :)
::: > I'm just glad to have my newsreader back!
::: >
::: > Google groups is not only a PITA, but it does not support
binary groups.
::: > :-(
::: > Peace!
::: > Om
:::
::: Oooh! I miss my Newswatcher and direct access to USENET. Got DSL
and
::: have to play the Bellsouth game which means going to Google
groups.
::: For a couple of months I could get direct USENET by unplugging my
DSL
::: and returning to dial-up, but keeping both DSL and dial-up seemed
::: silly, so I dropped my dial-up. Still having withdrawals. What's
PITA?
::
:: Why can't you access usenet through your Bellsouth account?

Accessing usenet through BellSloth is shitty at best. Lots of dropped
(or never found!) articles. They keep blaming it on their peers, but
it's just an excuse to eventually drop usente altogether..

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 13:50:32 -0400, BOB wrote:

>sf wrote:
>:: On 16 Apr 2006 05:36:41 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>::: Oooh! I miss my Newswatcher and direct access to USENET. Got DSL
>and
>::: have to play the Bellsouth game which means going to Google
>groups.
>::: For a couple of months I could get direct USENET by unplugging my
>DSL
>::: and returning to dial-up, but keeping both DSL and dial-up seemed
>::: silly, so I dropped my dial-up. Still having withdrawals. What's
>PITA?
>::
>:: Why can't you access usenet through your Bellsouth account?
>
>Accessing usenet through BellSloth is shitty at best. Lots of dropped
>(or never found!) articles. They keep blaming it on their peers, but
>it's just an excuse to eventually drop usente altogether..
>
>BOB

The only problem that I have with Bell south DSL is in wet weather.
As in a heavy down pour, after a hurricane.
Other then that here I am, using agent.
Check your settings. :)
--
Pan Ohco
I would like to see the bottom of my monitor, but I have cats.

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 14:29:25 -0500, Pan Ohco <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 13:50:32 -0400, BOB wrote:
>
>>sf wrote:
>>:: On 16 Apr 2006 05:36:41 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>>::: Oooh! I miss my Newswatcher and direct access to USENET. Got DSL
>>and
>>::: have to play the Bellsouth game which means going to Google
>>groups.
>>::: For a couple of months I could get direct USENET by unplugging my
>>DSL
>>::: and returning to dial-up, but keeping both DSL and dial-up seemed
>>::: silly, so I dropped my dial-up. Still having withdrawals. What's
>>PITA?
>>::
>>:: Why can't you access usenet through your Bellsouth account?
>>
>>Accessing usenet through BellSloth is shitty at best. Lots of dropped
>>(or never found!) articles. They keep blaming it on their peers, but
>>it's just an excuse to eventually drop usente altogether..
>>
>>BOB

>The only problem that I have with Bell south DSL is in wet weather.
>As in a heavy down pour, after a hurricane.
>Other then that here I am, using agent.
>Check your settings. :)

I have used Bellsouth DSL for the last 4 years or so and my usenet
access is very good. I occasionally see dropped parts in multipart
binary groups, but it's fairly rare. In text groups like this one, I
never have a problem. Their customer service does stink these days;
God forbid you need tech support! The actual connection, however, is
quite stable and reliable. I would second that advice to check your
settings and newsreader.

Regards,
Tracy R.

sf wrote:
> On 16 Apr 2006 05:36:41 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> > Oooh! I miss my Newswatcher and direct access to USENET. Got DSL and
> > have to play the Bellsouth game which means going to Google groups.
> > For a couple of months I could get direct USENET by unplugging my DSL
> > and returning to dial-up, but keeping both DSL and dial-up seemed
> > silly, so I dropped my dial-up. Still having withdrawals. What's PITA?

> Why can't you access usenet through your Bellsouth account?
> http://www.dpo.uab.edu/dialup/bssettings.html
> http://tinylink.com/?e4DYeSLio1
> DSL is dialup on steriods.
> --

Question. How do you use dial-up and DSL simultaneously? Wouldn't I
have to unplug my DSL connection, plug my dial-up modem, set SMTP and
POP settings, etc. Then reconnecting to DSL, I'd have to reset my
account. Most settings should remain the same.

But Bellsouth had to send me 3 modems before I found one that would
stay connected. Other 2 would drop after 1 or 2 hours, sometimes
overnight; and I'd have to sign-in anew. So I'm sort of leary of
disconnecting DSL now that I've got one that stays connected.

On 17 Apr 2006 06:45:00 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Question. How do you use dial-up and DSL simultaneously? Wouldn't I
>have to unplug my DSL connection, plug my dial-up modem, set SMTP and
>POP settings, etc. Then reconnecting to DSL, I'd have to reset my
>account. Most settings should remain the same.

You just plug your dial-up modem into a free telephone jack (with a
DSL filter attached) and use it if you need it. You don't have to
disconnect the DSL first. A splitter on the jack the DSL uses would
probably work as well, but I can't say that I've ever tried that. That
will give you both connections available, should the DSL go down; but
I don't think you can actually use both simultaneously since the login
and password are the same.

Regards,
Tracy R.

On 17 Apr 2006 06:45:00 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On 16 Apr 2006 05:36:41 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> > > Oooh! I miss my Newswatcher and direct access to USENET. Got DSL and
> > > have to play the Bellsouth game which means going to Google groups.
> > > For a couple of months I could get direct USENET by unplugging my DSL
> > > and returning to dial-up, but keeping both DSL and dial-up seemed
> > > silly, so I dropped my dial-up. Still having withdrawals. What's PITA?

> > Why can't you access usenet through your Bellsouth account?
> > http://www.dpo.uab.edu/dialup/bssettings.html
> > http://tinylink.com/?e4DYeSLio1
> > DSL is dialup on steriods.
> > --

> Question. How do you use dial-up and DSL simultaneously? Wouldn't I
> have to unplug my DSL connection, plug my dial-up modem, set SMTP and
> POP settings, etc. Then reconnecting to DSL, I'd have to reset my
> account. Most settings should remain the same.

Was that question to me? DSL is like having two telephone lines...
one out one in. Yes, you need a modem.

> But Bellsouth had to send me 3 modems before I found one that would
> stay connected. Other 2 would drop after 1 or 2 hours, sometimes
> overnight; and I'd have to sign-in anew. So I'm sort of leary of
> disconnecting DSL now that I've got one that stays connected.

I've never understood why home users are so darned lazy. Shut down
your computer when you go to bed.
--

sf wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2006 06:45:00 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:

> > > Why can't you access usenet through your Bellsouth account?
> > > http://www.dpo.uab.edu/dialup/bssettings.html
> > > http://tinylink.com/?e4DYeSLio1
> > > DSL is dialup on steriods.
> > > --

> > Question. How do you use dial-up and DSL simultaneously? Wouldn't I
> > have to unplug my DSL connection, plug my dial-up modem, set SMTP and
> > POP settings, etc. Then reconnecting to DSL, I'd have to reset my
> > account. Most settings should remain the same.

> Was that question to me? DSL is like having two telephone lines...
> one out one in. Yes, you need a modem.
> >
> > But Bellsouth had to send me 3 modems before I found one that would
> > stay connected. Other 2 would drop after 1 or 2 hours, sometimes
> > overnight; and I'd have to sign-in anew. So I'm sort of leary of
> > disconnecting DSL now that I've got one that stays connected.

> I've never understood why home users are so darned lazy. Shut down
> your computer when you go to bed.
> --

Yes, it was. Ravinwulf answered:

"You just plug your dial-up modem into a free telephone jack (with a
DSL filter attached) and use it if you need it. You don't have to
disconnect the DSL first. A splitter on the jack the DSL uses would
probably work as well, but I can't say that I've ever tried that. That
will give you both connections available, should the DSL go down; but
I don't think you can actually use both simultaneously since the login
and password are the same."

But I only have one jack in my computer room. Bellsouth told me that
splitting at the jack would not work. Something about my computer not
being able to recognize both connections. Has to be one or the other.

Ravinwulf is saying I need a free telephone jack. Guess I'd have to run
one from the phone box.

Answer to your lazy comment. I used to shut down every night. But
problems with OS X startup prompted a tech rep to tell me "just don't
turn it off." That's one.

Then problems with those Bellsouth modems dropping my connection
prompted a DSL rep to tell me "just don't turn it off." That's two.

So not shutting down may be dumb, but it's not lazy.

On 18 Apr 2006 04:39:29 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> Answer to your lazy comment. I used to shut down every night. But
> problems with OS X startup prompted a tech rep to tell me "just don't
> turn it off." That's one.

Ah, OS X..... need I say more? LOL

But seriously, any "rep" who tells you something like that in answer
to a problem is as serious a numbskull as one that would tell you to
reinstall. I can't believe you not only bought that cr*p, you
publicized it.

Q: Were you born yesterday????
--

sf wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2006 04:39:29 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Answer to your lazy comment. I used to shut down every night. But
> > problems with OS X startup prompted a tech rep to tell me "just don't
> > turn it off." That's one.

> Ah, OS X..... need I say more? LOL
>
> But seriously, any "rep" who tells you something like that in answer
> to a problem is as serious a numbskull as one that would tell you to
> reinstall. I can't believe you not only bought that cr*p, you
> publicized it.
>
> Q: Were you born yesterday????
> --

Day before and I'm still trying to understand stoplights. But that's
just me.

On 19 Apr 2006 06:15:31 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On 18 Apr 2006 04:39:29 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > > Answer to your lazy comment. I used to shut down every night. But
> > > problems with OS X startup prompted a tech rep to tell me "just don't
> > > turn it off." That's one.

> > Ah, OS X..... need I say more? LOL
> >
> > But seriously, any "rep" who tells you something like that in answer
> > to a problem is as serious a numbskull as one that would tell you to
> > reinstall. I can't believe you not only bought that cr*p, you
> > publicized it.
> >
> > Q: Were you born yesterday????
> > --

> Day before and I'm still trying to understand stoplights. But that's
> just me.

;)