Re: Interesting Factoid Nos. 101 & 102

Jeremy Parker

Guest
I understand that the word "factoid" was coined for something
different from a fact.

A factoid is very much like a fact. It looks just like a fact, and,
in fact, is just like a fact, except in one way - a factoid isn't
true.

I blame British journalists, who don't always know, or even care,
enough about the truth of the material they quote, for getting
confused about the difference (or not) between factoids and facts

In what sense is the word "factoid" used in this series?

Jeremy Parker

"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote

> In what sense is the word "factoid" used in this series?

In the sense that the OP has no idea what he's talking about, but that
doesn't stop the ignorant blowhard from babbling endlessly about his
superior knowledge on every got-dam subject imaginable.

"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in news:fkh6ju$ij9$1
[email protected]:

> I blame British journalists,

Me too! Those bastards are responsible for everything. My mom got cancer,
and died prematurely at 104yo because of the brits. Then my dog wandered
out into the street and got hit because of brits. Then I contracted
syphillis, and yes you guessed it, because of the brits.
Those bastards...

Jeremy Parker writes:

> I understand that the word "factoid" was coined for something
> different from a fact.

> A factoid is very much like a fact. It looks just like a fact, and,
> in fact, is just like a fact, except in one way - a factoid isn't
> true.

There is a difference of opinion on that word and its maning:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/factoid
--
Jobst Brandt

[email protected] wrote:
> "Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:fkh6ju$ij9$1 [email protected]:
>
>> I blame British journalists,

> Me too! Those bastards are responsible for everything. My mom got
> cancer, and died prematurely at 104yo because of the brits. Then my
> dog wandered out into the street and got hit because of brits. Then I
> contracted syphillis, and yes you guessed it, because of the brits.
> Those bastards...

In other news about people who probably don't like British journalists, QE2
became Britain's oldest ever monarch this week, overtaking Queen Victoria.
She'll have to reign until September 9, 2015 to become the longest reigning
monarch. She's currently fourth, behind Victoria, King George III, and Henry
III.

--
Mike Kruger
Gravity -- It's not just a good idea. It's the law.

Prisoner at War <[email protected]> wrote in news:68543174-99e6-
[email protected]:

> It sounds like a diminutive, and I mean to use it with that
> connotation. As well, the word refers to trivial, insignificant
> facts, and in a sense, these fun facts are neither here nor there in
> terms of one's actual, physical workout (they're "intellectual" as
> opposed to "practical"). Lastly, yes, it could also refer to specious
> beliefs, which, in reality, these facts may well turn out to be one
> day.
>
> Great alt.usage.english post. Thanks!

WTF did he say?