Road Cycling · Public discussion

Re: Iron man on NBC

Started by Bill C · · Last activity · 2 posts · 505 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
1 May 2005
Last activity
2 May 2005
Original author
Bill C
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
505
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    I saw that there would be two hours of coverage of an Iron Man on


    NBC,

    Quoted message said:

    so, taking into account it was NBC, I checked it out. Rogers often


    has

    Quoted message said:

    Iron man-world cup tri coverage, which is pretty decent. But after
    about half an hour of NBC, I barely saw any coverage of the race
    itself. Instead I saw:

    A profile of one of the athletes, firefighter and his braindead bimbo
    wife, talking about their WEDDING. And various interviews with her
    hairstylist friends in the salon on Long Island. It was like they


    were

    Quoted message said:

    trying to show us how cute they all were, but instead they were just
    embarrassingly dumb and ridiculous, talking about a sport they


    totally

    Quoted message said:

    knew NOTHING about. They all talked like the woman on Seinfeld who


    had

    Quoted message said:

    the ugly baby.

    - more athlete profiles about overcoming the odds, ie handicaps,
    diseases, etc.

    -lots of bizarre new age music

    -shots of various cyclist's legs as they pedal. OR their heads. I
    think I saw a whole body maybe twice in an hour.

    -disco soundtrack

    -overwrought narration.

    I think for NBC, this is 'coverage'. I wasn't really surprised. Oy.

    Marlene I didn't even bother. The network coverage has been pitiful at
    best and it just isn't even worth bothering with, but I guess you found
    that out. I think it's against the rules to actually cover the event,
    not try to turn it into a hyperactive soap opera.
    Bill C

  2. Bill C said:


    Quoted message said:

    I saw that there would be two hours of coverage of an Iron Man on


    NBC,

    Quoted message said:

    so, taking into account it was NBC, I checked it out. Rogers often


    has

    Quoted message said:

    Iron man-world cup tri coverage, which is pretty decent. But after
    about half an hour of NBC, I barely saw any coverage of the race
    itself. Instead I saw:

    A profile of one of the athletes, firefighter and his braindead bimbo
    wife, talking about their WEDDING. And various interviews with her
    hairstylist friends in the salon on Long Island. It was like they


    were

    Quoted message said:

    trying to show us how cute they all were, but instead they were just
    embarrassingly dumb and ridiculous, talking about a sport they


    totally

    Quoted message said:

    knew NOTHING about. They all talked like the woman on Seinfeld who


    had

    Quoted message said:

    the ugly baby.

    - more athlete profiles about overcoming the odds, ie handicaps,
    diseases, etc.

    -lots of bizarre new age music

    -shots of various cyclist's legs as they pedal. OR their heads. I
    think I saw a whole body maybe twice in an hour.

    -disco soundtrack

    -overwrought narration.

    I think for NBC, this is 'coverage'. I wasn't really surprised. Oy.

    Marlene I didn't even bother. The network coverage has been pitiful at
    best and it just isn't even worth bothering with, but I guess you found
    that out. I think it's against the rules to actually cover the event,
    not try to turn it into a hyperactive soap opera.
    Bill C

    I shouldn't have bothered either, but even I, cynical as I am, didn't
    think it would be THAT laughable.

    I always think of what would happen if NBC covered other sports like
    that, but then I remmeber the superbowl pre-game shows. I don't watch
    football, but I've caught a couple of those in recent years and it was
    just gagariffic: widows and orphans, sob stories, Jesus this and that,
    sappy music, etc. ANd this is a FOOTBALL game- do guys sit and watch
    this stuff and weep? I guess this is designed for us FEMALE viewers...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.