Re: is it just me or was it too hot to ride today? 14 Feb 2004, Melbourne, ~42C in Brighton East....

Dale Stanbrough

Guest
Richard Sherratt wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:35:30 GMT, "Yuri Budilov"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Ok, so I decided to ride at 5pm today, 14 Feb...... local temp was ~41
> >degrees Celsius...... It is 6:30pm now and still 38C..... I only lasted ~30
> >min (~7 km) before I threw in a wet towel...... I just could not breathe. Is
> >it just me (I am new to riding) or is it too hot to ride at high 30'c or low
> >40c?

> It was OK between 7:00 and about 13:00. It was too hot later in the
> day for anyone except the ultra fit, IMHO :).

I wasn't ultra fit but managed a 5k trip in > 40C temps many years ago
(my fitness level was from just commmute cycling) without problems -
quite enjoyed it actually.

Have lots of water, and rightly throw in the towel at the first sign of
wobble.

Also remember that if you feel thirsty, it's too late - you are already
partially dehydrated.

Dale

--
[email protected]

The readings from my HAC4 speedo for the three stages of the Canberra Tour
last weekend showed the temperature for the Saturday afternoon stage as an
average of 39 degrees with a min of 38 and a max of 41. Not ideal conditions
to be racing over a hilly course. At least as an old fart I only had to do
one 38km lap that afternoon. The men's A,B,C, and D grades had to do two
laps.

Nick

Dale Stanbrough wrote:

> Richard Sherratt wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:35:30 GMT, "Yuri Budilov"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Ok, so I decided to ride at 5pm today, 14 Feb...... local temp was ~41
>>>degrees Celsius...... It is 6:30pm now and still 38C..... I only lasted ~30
>>>min (~7 km) before I threw in a wet towel...... I just could not breathe. Is
>>>it just me (I am new to riding) or is it too hot to ride at high 30'c or low
>>>40c?

>>It was OK between 7:00 and about 13:00. It was too hot later in the
>>day for anyone except the ultra fit, IMHO :).

> I wasn't ultra fit but managed a 5k trip in > 40C temps many years ago
> (my fitness level was from just commmute cycling) without problems -
> quite enjoyed it actually.
>
> Have lots of water, and rightly throw in the towel at the first sign of
> wobble.
>
> Also remember that if you feel thirsty, it's too late - you are already
> partially dehydrated.
>
> Dale

Rode from Malvern to Brunswick (bout 17k's) at 6pm and was nearly dead
about 3 minutes after getting off the bike. Was completely fine till
then and made quite good speed. (31k's hour till the festival thing near
Fed sqaure).

I was the only person at the BBQ I went to not complaining about the
heat after that though.

Ian