Re: Is my tire bad?

A Muzi

Guest
NiteRider wrote:

> Last season, I managed to have two major problems with one tire, an IRC
> Metro/K. The first time was my fault. I apparently hadn't seated the
> new tire properly on the rim and when I was pumping up, a few inches of
> bead came off and the tube blew into pieces, bending the rim sidewall.
> I rebuilt with a Campy Thorr rim, which should be much stronger than
> the factory rim. But on the long, last ride of the season, it blew
> again. Didn't bend the rim, but destroyed another tube. (Pain in the
> neck, too, since this tube had sealant inside and basically blasted it
> all over the place.) I made sure I'd seated the bead properly this
> time.
>
> Is this particular tire bad, or am I just a victim of bad luck?
> There've been no problems at all with the other Metro I have on my
> front wheel, which was bought at the same time. I'd hate to trash a
> tire that's only got a couple of hundred miles on it. But I expect to
> be doing a few more long rides this season and I don't want to risk
> being stranded far from home (yeah, I can carry a tube, pump, and
> levers, but that should be a last resort). Anybody else have problems
> with Metros or IRC tires in general?

No I don't. IRC are generally very good.
It's good practice to air your tire to about 1/2 pressure,
spin the wheel, and note the raised line just above the rim.
If that line (the molded ridge, not the light colored area)
is not even all around, pull up the low spots until it is
even before inflating fully.

Ensure your rim liner is not occluding the tire's seat
inside the rim. And we use a mist of spray wax to help tires
move and seat , just as car shops use soapy water.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org