Re: Is oily fish really healthy?

"erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message:
> > I am near-vegan. Humans *are* Frugivores.

> --------------------------
> Have you proven that to yourself? I know that if I were going to insist
> that humans are frugivores, I would have wanted to prove it to myself
> first - by living exclusively on a frugivorous diet for at least a few
> years. A diet of only fruit, and perhaps nuts, seeds, and maybe some
> vegetables. And no animal products, grains, legumes, or refined foods at
> all of course. If I had lived strictly on that diet for several years, and
> could honestly say that I felt great and was in better than ever health,
> with no nutritional deficiencies, and didn't feel my body was "craving" any
> other kind of food, then maybe I would say that I believe that humans are
> frugivores. So can you honestly back up your claim that humans are
> frugivores with your own extensive and successful real-life experience with
> that diet?

I have been 100% vegan. That's how I know I'd feel better that way.

> FWIW, I tried a number of times over a period of several years to go from
> vegetarian to a frugivorous diet, and failed every time. My body let me
> know quite clearly that humans are not frugivores (at least not this
> human...). Now I stick to a lacto-vegetarian diet, that's what I feel best
> on.

Details of foods consumed? Details of what you experienced?

"pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message:
>> > I am near-vegan. Humans *are* Frugivores.

>> --------------------------
>> Have you proven that to yourself? I know that if I were going to insist
>> that humans are frugivores, I would have wanted to prove it to myself
>> first - by living exclusively on a frugivorous diet for at least a few
>> years. A diet of only fruit, and perhaps nuts, seeds, and maybe some
>> vegetables. And no animal products, grains, legumes, or refined foods at
>> all of course. If I had lived strictly on that diet for several years,
>> and
>> could honestly say that I felt great and was in better than ever health,
>> with no nutritional deficiencies, and didn't feel my body was "craving"
>> any
>> other kind of food, then maybe I would say that I believe that humans are
>> frugivores. So can you honestly back up your claim that humans are
>> frugivores with your own extensive and successful real-life experience
>> with
>> that diet?

> I have been 100% vegan. That's how I know I'd feel better that way.

------------------------
I don't think that's good enough. I was also 100% vegan when I tried to go
fruitarian, and there's a big nutritional difference when you drop grains
and legumes (and starchy vegetables such as potatoes) from your diet - you
can really feel it. IMO, as I implied above, I don't think you should be
claiming that humans are frugivores until you have successfully been one
yourself for at least several years - it's just not being honest. It's much
more difficult to be a fruitarian that a vegan. Haven't you ever even tried
fruitarianism?

>> FWIW, I tried a number of times over a period of several years to go from
>> vegetarian to a frugivorous diet, and failed every time. My body let me
>> know quite clearly that humans are not frugivores (at least not this
>> human...). Now I stick to a lacto-vegetarian diet, that's what I feel
>> best
>> on.

> Details of foods consumed? Details of what you experienced?

------------------
A wide variety of fresh fruits, a small amount of dried fruit (figs and
dates, in particular), a variety of raw nuts and seeds. My favorite and
most satisfying fruit was bananas, I ate lots of those, and avocados were
quite filling too. When I felt cravings for other foods I'd have freshly
made raw vegetable juices or (non-starchy) vegetables - the "vegetable
fruits" such as tomatoes, sweet peppers, zucchini in particular. Eventually
that wouldn't satisfy my cravings, so I'd sometimes have steamed vegetables
like carrots and potatoes if I really, really had to.

After a period of time I'd really feel I needed more variety, I could feel
nutritional deficiencies creeping in after a number of months and I'd have
to revert back to the vegan diet with whole grains and legumes, which would
help immensely. I went through that cycle several times over a number of
years. I feel it's very important to heed that "inner voice" at a certain
point, and give your body what it tells you it really needs, and not push
the envelope too far when experimenting with diet.

Before you ask, no I didn't use organic produce - it wasn't available years
ago around here when I was experimenting. But I don't honestly believe that
using organic produce would have changed the outcome - fruits, nuts and
seeds and some vegetables alone can't fulfill my dietary needs, there are
nutritional substances humans require that just aren't in those foods,
organic or not (besides B12). That's my opinion, anyway.

-erpt

"pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message:

> > > I am near-vegan. Humans *are* Frugivores.

> > --------------------------
> > Have you proven that to yourself? I know that if I were going to insist
> > that humans are frugivores, I would have wanted to prove it to myself
> > first - by living exclusively on a frugivorous diet for at least a few
> > years. A diet of only

sweet?

> > fruit, and perhaps

Perhaps?

> > nuts, seeds, and maybe

Maybe?

> > some
> > vegetables. And no animal products,

> > grains, legumes,

None, why? And leafy greens?

No wonder it didn't work out (if it all wasn't a tall tale).

Suggest a read of this;
http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm .

See other post.

"erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> [...]

> using organic produce would have changed the outcome - fruits, nuts and
> seeds and some vegetables alone can't fulfill my dietary needs, there are
> nutritional substances humans require that just aren't in those foods,
> organic or not (besides B12). That's my opinion, anyway.
>
> -erpt

"pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > --------------------------
>> > Have you proven that to yourself? I know that if I were going to
>> > insist
>> > that humans are frugivores, I would have wanted to prove it to myself
>> > first - by living exclusively on a frugivorous diet for at least a few

No, I'd suggest a wide variety of acid, sub-acid and sweet fruits.

>> > fruit, and perhaps

> Perhaps?

Yes, "perhaps" - it depends on the type of fruitarian you wish to be.
Fruitarians who are purists eat only fruits, and no nuts, seeds or
vegetables (meaning the "vegetable fruits" - cucumbers, sweet peppers, etc,
in particular).

>> > nuts, seeds, and maybe

> Maybe?

Yes "maybe". Some fruitarians eat fruits, nuts and seeds, but no vegetables
(meaning not even the "vegetable fruits") at all. They don't consider them
to really be fruits.

>> > some
>> > vegetables. And no animal products,

>> > grains, legumes,

> None, why? And leafy greens?

Because grains and legumes aren't fruits, and so aren't part of a fruitarian
diet. Including grains and legumes makes it more of a vegan diet, not
fruitarian. Leafy greens aren't fruits, either. But if someone ate a diet
of fruits, nuts and seeds, "vegetable fruits" and leafy greens, I would
still call that a fruitarian diet. But the more purist fruitarian types
would disagree, I'm sure.

> No wonder it didn't work out (if it all wasn't a tall tale).

Whatever. This isn't about me, anyway. It's about you and why you insist
that humans are frugivores when you aren't even eating a frugivorous diet
yourself.

> Suggest a read of this;
> http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm .

I've seen that before. But again, this isn't about me and what I believe.
It's about you and why you insist that humans are frugivores when you aren't
even eating a frugivorous diet yourself.

-erpt

"erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> "erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> > sweet?

> No, I'd suggest a wide variety of acid, sub-acid and sweet fruits.

'What is a "Fruit"?

From Webster's Dictionary comes the following definition
of "fruit" which is inclusive of many constituents of green
salad: A fruit is the reproductive product of a tree or other
plant... the edible, succulent product, generally covering
and including the seed... or mature ovary. Essentially, fruit
is made of two parts: the pericarp or edible flesh, and the
seed portion itself. Notice from this botanical definition of
fruit when considering our fruitarian character, this does
not mean exclusively sweet fruits. To enjoy an energetic,
youthful, disease-free life, eat a varied diet predominantly
of foods you are biologically adapted to: raw fresh fruits,
vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouted grains, and perhaps
occasional legumes and tubers.
...'
http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm

> > Perhaps?

> Yes, "perhaps" - it depends on the type of fruitarian you wish to be.
> Fruitarians who are purists eat only fruits, and no nuts, seeds or
> vegetables (meaning the "vegetable fruits" - cucumbers, sweet peppers, etc,
> in particular).

We're talking about a frugivorous diet. See definition above.

> > Maybe?

> Yes "maybe". Some fruitarians eat fruits, nuts and seeds, but no vegetables
> (meaning not even the "vegetable fruits") at all. They don't consider them
> to really be fruits.

If that is true, then they err greatly.

> > None, why? And leafy greens?

> Because grains and legumes aren't fruits, and so aren't part of a fruitarian
> diet. Including grains and legumes makes it more of a vegan diet, not
> fruitarian.

'Fruit Types: Description
The legume also develops from a single carpel with one locule,
but it differs by splitting along both sides of the fruit to shed its
seeds. Legumes are typically found in the huge bean family.
Examples include green bean, navy bean, pea, redbud, honey
locust, and black locust. The legumes are incredibly numerous
and important members of tropical rain forest ecosystems.
Another small, one-seeded fruit is the caryopsis or grain.
The difference between the achene and the caryopsis is that
during development in the grain, the seed coat fuses to the fruit
wall, so it gives the appearance of the fruit lacking a locule!
http://koning.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/plants_human/fruittype.html

> Leafy greens aren't fruits, either.

'GREEN VEGETABLES: Include the leafy greens, all
non starchy vegetables, sprouts, and all cruciferous family
vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts,
cabbage and zucchini. [..]
The bulk of our diet should consist of raw fresh fruits,
vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouted whole grains, legumes
and tubers for three main reasons: This prevents overeating
concentrated foods that otherwise may lead to constipation;
This insures an abundance of vitamins and minerals from
raw, fresh produce; It provides the needed bulk, necessary
for normal elimination. Practically all animals in nature
consume green foliage of some type. Even the carnivore,
at times, consumes large amounts of vegetation. Plants are
high-fiber, high-water content foods. The low-fiber,
low-water content meat based diet of the carnivore
requires plant food to keep the colon cleansed, since flesh
is naturally constipating. Green leafy plants are eaten to a
lesser or greater extent throughout nature. Whatever else
an animal eats relative to its specific adaptations, some
green leafy food is invariably needed in the diet.
...'
http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm

> But if someone ate a diet
> of fruits, nuts and seeds, "vegetable fruits" and leafy greens, I would
> still call that a fruitarian diet. But the more purist fruitarian types
> would disagree, I'm sure.

Thought we were talking about a frugivorous diet?

> > No wonder it didn't work out (if it all wasn't a tall tale).

> Whatever. This isn't about me, anyway. It's about you and why you insist
> that humans are frugivores when you aren't even eating a frugivorous diet
> yourself.

I am. See above.

> > Suggest a read of this;
> > http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm .

> I've seen that before. But again, this isn't about me and what I believe.
> It's about you and why you insist that humans are frugivores when you aren't
> even eating a frugivorous diet yourself.

You may have "seen" it, but you sure haven't read it.

On your bike.

> -erpt
>

> Whatever. This isn't about me, anyway. It's about you and why you insist
> that humans are frugivores when you aren't even eating a frugivorous diet
> yourself.

Two things to note about the frugivorous diet. 1, it doesn't need to be

exclusively fruit in order to qualify. A frugivore is simply an animal
that
eats mainly fruit. 2. The botanical definition of fruit is somewhat
broader
than the everyday definition and includes grains, nuts, legumes and
seed
vegetables. IIRC correctly the article on Pearl's website includes
goats
milk in the list of foods that can be tolerated by the human body in
small amounts when properly combined, whatever that means so the
accusation that Pearl isn't following the diet she preaches might be
difficult to back up unless you can also find an admission that she
sometimes eats cooked food.

Having said that, I do not trust the article. For one thing, the
dietary
recommendations made, especially the list of foods deemed disruptive
of human health is highly unorthodox and the rationale behind
the recommendations is not clearly developed. Secondly, based on
comparative anatomy our dietary needs are assumed to be similar
to those of the frugivorous apes who naturally select the right foods
while we have somehow lost the necessary instincts. Thirdly the
fact that we have been using cooking for generations is not taken
into account and our ability to chew and digest hard foods has
diminished. It is not inconceivable to me that one could thrive on
a raw food, vegan or lacto-vegetarian, frugivorous diet but one
would have to really know what they were doing in order to do so.

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Having said that, I do not trust the article. For one thing, the dietary
> recommendations made, especially the list of foods deemed disruptive
> of human health is highly unorthodox and the rationale behind
> the recommendations is not clearly developed. Secondly, based on
> comparative anatomy our dietary needs are assumed to be similar
> to those of the frugivorous apes who naturally select the right foods
> while we have somehow lost the necessary instincts. Thirdly the
> fact that we have been using cooking for generations is not taken
> into account and our ability to chew and digest hard foods has
> diminished. It is not inconceivable to me that one could thrive on
> a raw food, vegan or lacto-vegetarian, frugivorous diet but one
> would have to really know what they were doing in order to do so.

All hashed out at great length in previous threads. Fistly, I see no reply
to this: http://tinyurl.com/hc7uz . Secondly, when was the last time you
seized an animal in your er.. teeth and killed it, ripping into it's flesh ..?
Thirdly, are you unable to chew raw fruits and veg'? Go see a dentist.

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> IIRC correctly the article on Pearl's website includes goats
> milk in the list of foods that can be tolerated by the human body in
> small amounts when properly combined,

Actually, it says;

'The following foods, while usually eaten on a vegetarian diet,
are not well adapted to man's physiology and therefore place
an undue strain on the organism: 1. Free oils 2. Dairy products.'

"pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> IIRC correctly the article on Pearl's website includes goats
>> milk in the list of foods that can be tolerated by the human body in
>> small amounts when properly combined,

> Actually, it says;
>
> 'The following foods, while usually eaten on a vegetarian diet,
> are not well adapted to man's physiology and therefore place
> an undue strain on the organism: 1. Free oils 2. Dairy products.'

Funny I can consume them both just fine.

"pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message:
> 'What is a "Fruit"?
>
> From Webster's Dictionary comes the following definition
> of "fruit" which is inclusive of many constituents of green
> salad: A fruit is the reproductive product of a tree or other
> plant... the edible, succulent product, generally covering
> and including the seed... or mature ovary. Essentially, fruit
> is made of two parts: the pericarp or edible flesh, and the
> seed portion itself. Notice from this botanical definition of
> fruit when considering our fruitarian character, this does
> not mean exclusively sweet fruits. To enjoy an energetic,
> youthful, disease-free life, eat a varied diet predominantly
> of foods you are biologically adapted to: raw fresh fruits,
> vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouted grains, and perhaps
> occasional legumes and tubers.
> ..'
> http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm

-----------------------------

Alright then, obviously you wish to use references and the botanical
definition of fruit from the article on your website - fine. So lets look a
little deeper into some specific vegetable foods. In the "What is a
Vegetable?" section on your website it states:

"Vegetables are classified into four main categories: 1. FRUIT-BEARING
VARIETY: These are commonly referred to as "vegetables" but are actually
non-sweet fruits, including tomatoes, squashes, peppers, cucumbers,
pumpkins, and eggplant."

So Pearl, if you included such "vegetable fruits" as these in a fruitarian
diet, it could still be considered a fruitarian diet. (They obviously fit
into the Webster's Dictionary definition of fruit which you provided above.)

The article goes on with the other categories:
"2. GREEN VEGETABLES: Include the leafy greens, all non starchy vegetables,
sprouts, and all cruciferous family vegetables such as broccoli,
cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage and zucchini."

3. BULBS TUBERS AND ROOTS: Includes underground vegetables such as carrots,
beets, potatoes, yams, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, etc. Also included in
this category are mildly toxic, sharp tasting vegetables such as garlic,
onions, scallions, leeks and radishes.

4. FUNGI: These include mushrooms, algae and seaweed vegetables."

These vegetables are NOT included in section #1 above, and so they are not
botanically considered to be fruits (or "vegetable fruits"). Do you ever
eat any of the kinds of vegetables in section 1-4, Pearl? If so, then
according to your website you are not eating a fruitarian diet. You do eat
leafy greens, don't you?

>> > Perhaps?

>> Yes, "perhaps" - it depends on the type of fruitarian you wish to be.
>> Fruitarians who are purists eat only fruits, and no nuts, seeds or
>> vegetables (meaning the "vegetable fruits" - cucumbers, sweet peppers,
>> etc,
>> in particular).

> We're talking about a frugivorous diet. See definition above.

---------------------

Yes, it's clear now that you wish to go by the botanical definition(s) in
the article on your website. But just for the record, there are fruitarians
who advocate a strict fruit only diet. For example Rejean Durette who wrote
the book "Fruit: The Ultimate Diet" states:

"A Fruitarian is someone who eats predominantly fruit and ideally 100%.
"Fruits" include all tree fruits, all berries, watermelons, vine fruits like
kiwis and grapes and vegetable-fruits like tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.
Fruitarians living in tropical environments would consume coconuts although
coconuts are often thought of as a nut. Some Fruitarians will consume nuts
and vegetables to a certain extent, although these rarely would be consumed
in any great amount by a Fruitarian, however we promote a true fruitarian
diet, 100% fruit with no nuts and no vegetables or greens."

http://www.fruitarianvibes.com/Fruitarian_Facts.htm

And in contrast, just to show the variety of opinion here's a fruitarian
website that promotes the optimum fruitarian diet as consisting of - "all
the usual fruits you know, but we also think of avocado, cucumbers,
tomatoes, paprika, olives and squash as fruits. (They are actually
vegetable-fruits)." They consider the next best fruitarian diet to be one
that also "sometimes" includes nuts and seeds:

http://hem.fyristorg.com/fruitarian/whatEat.html

>> > Maybe?

>> Yes "maybe". Some fruitarians eat fruits, nuts and seeds, but no
>> vegetables
>> (meaning not even the "vegetable fruits") at all. They don't consider
>> them
>> to really be fruits.

> If that is true, then they err greatly.

-----------------------

"There are different variations of fruitarianism. Some fruitarians will eat
only what falls (or would fall) naturally from a plant-fruits, seeds and
nuts. Others may eat all biological fruits. The former argue that the
slippery slope of what 'would' fall from the plant leads to including foods
that would otherwise be taboo. Grains are usually disallowed, as they are
conventionally harvested by cutting down the plant."

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Fruitarianism

and, from The American Heritage Dictionary;

fruit·ar·i·an:
"One whose diet includes fruits, seeds, and nuts but no vegetables, grains,
or animal products."

http://www.bartleby.com/61/44/F0344400.html

>> > None, why? And leafy greens?

>> Because grains and legumes aren't fruits, and so aren't part of a
>> fruitarian
>> diet. Including grains and legumes makes it more of a vegan diet, not
>> fruitarian.

> 'Fruit Types: Description
> ..
> The legume also develops from a single carpel with one locule,
> but it differs by splitting along both sides of the fruit to shed its
> seeds. Legumes are typically found in the huge bean family.
> Examples include green bean, navy bean, pea, redbud, honey
> locust, and black locust. The legumes are incredibly numerous
> and important members of tropical rain forest ecosystems.
> ..
> Another small, one-seeded fruit is the caryopsis or grain.
> The difference between the achene and the caryopsis is that
> during development in the grain, the seed coat fuses to the fruit
> wall, so it gives the appearance of the fruit lacking a locule!
> ..
> http://koning.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/plants_human/fruittype.html

---------------------------

True, grains and legumes according to the botanical definition can be
considered "fruits", and some who consider themselves to be fruitarians eat
them. But I'm sorry, I just can't consider a peanut-butter sandwich to be a
fruitarian food. You can see from the references I provided above that
fruitarians generally don't consider grains to be fruitarian foods, and even
the article on your own website doesn't put them in the same category as the
other fruits as far as human diet goes. For example, in the "Scientific
Nutrition vs. Commercial Nutrition" section on your website it says (my
emphasis on the references to grains):

"The first question in forming a scientific, rather than commercial approach
to human nutrition is this: Of what biological disposition is the human
organism? What is our natural food? Are we true carnivores who secure their
nutrient needs not only from raw flesh, but also from raw blood, bones,
gristle, and offal from the fresh raw kill? Are we true herbivores (grazers)
who thrive on lettuce, grasses, *raw grains*, celery, etc., as do horses,
cows and sheep? Are we granivores like birds who thrive mostly on raw seeds
of grasses and *grains*? Are we natural omnivores who *thrive* in health
regardless of the foodstuffs consumed? Or are we frugivores who can thrive
on a diet of raw fresh bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, or melons meal
after meal?"

Here your own website clearly implies that we are NOT "true herbivores
(grazers) who thrive on lettuce, grasses, *raw grains*, celery, etc" or
"granivores like birds who thrive mostly on raw seeds of grasses and
*grains*". That section is saying that we are actually "frugivores who can
thrive on a diet of raw fresh bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, or melons
meal after meal." Yes, this section from your own website seems quite
clearly to be advocating a strict fruit only diet, like Rejean Durette whom
I mentioned above, and certainly not grains.

Besides, you say that humans are frugivores. Our modern grains were
cultivated by humans over the past 10,000 years or so with the development
of agriculture. Do you think our ancient ancestors millions of years ago
were eating any appreciable amount of raw wild grains when they were hanging
around the forests evolving? Our close primate cousins the chimps don't
seem to have anything like grains in their natural diets, from what I've
read. Perhaps you should eliminate grains from your "fruitarian" diet, they
may be quite unnatural and foreign to the diet humans originally evolved on,
you may well be much better off without them. Legumes too perhaps, for the
same reasons. Your own website doesn't put legumes in the same category as
the other fruits, and says that the suggested diet can contain "perhaps
occasional legumes...."

>> Leafy greens aren't fruits, either.

> 'GREEN VEGETABLES: Include the leafy greens, all
> non starchy vegetables, sprouts, and all cruciferous family
> vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts,
> cabbage and zucchini. [..]
> The bulk of our diet should consist of raw fresh fruits,
> vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouted whole grains, legumes
> and tubers for three main reasons: This prevents overeating
> concentrated foods that otherwise may lead to constipation;
> This insures an abundance of vitamins and minerals from
> raw, fresh produce; It provides the needed bulk, necessary
> for normal elimination. Practically all animals in nature
> consume green foliage of some type. Even the carnivore,
> at times, consumes large amounts of vegetation. Plants are
> high-fiber, high-water content foods. The low-fiber,
> low-water content meat based diet of the carnivore
> requires plant food to keep the colon cleansed, since flesh
> is naturally constipating. Green leafy plants are eaten to a
> lesser or greater extent throughout nature. Whatever else
> an animal eats relative to its specific adaptations, some
> green leafy food is invariably needed in the diet.
> ..'
> http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm

------------------------------

Like I said above, leafy greens aren't fruits, either. I don't see anything
there saying that leafy greens, or the other mentioned vegetables like
cabbage, tubers, etc., are actually fruits. If you include those kinds of
vegetables in your diet, by the botanical definition on your website it
won't be a frugivorous diet. You say that humans are fugivores, meaning of
course that our ancient ancestors must have evolved on a frugivorous diet.
But leafy greens are not fruits (by the definition on your website), so they
must not have been included in our ancient ancestor's diet. Yet the article
on your website states (above) - "Green leafy plants are eaten to a lesser
or greater extent throughout nature. Whatever else an animal eats relative
to its specific adaptations, some green leafy food is invariably needed in
the diet." So what's up with this contradiction between you and the article
on your website?

>> But if someone ate a diet
>> of fruits, nuts and seeds, "vegetable fruits" and leafy greens, I would
>> still call that a fruitarian diet. But the more purist fruitarian types
>> would disagree, I'm sure.

> Thought we were talking about a frugivorous diet?

-----------------------

Ah, I now know that you are one of the more purist fruitarian types I
referred to above. I respect your perfectionism! Your website has
convinced me to now tighten up my definition of fruitarian, so I'm taking
out the leafy greens. I was allowing some "wiggle room" in my definition,
but no more. From now on I'll consider a fruitarian diet to be only fruits,
nuts and seeds, and the "vegetable fruits". But I refuse to add grains in,
because, as your website implores: "Are we true herbivores (grazers) who
thrive on lettuce, grasses, *raw grains*, celery, etc., as do horses, cows
and sheep?" Of course we aren't! So no grains.

>> > No wonder it didn't work out (if it all wasn't a tall tale).

>> Whatever. This isn't about me, anyway. It's about you and why you
>> insist
>> that humans are frugivores when you aren't even eating a frugivorous diet
>> yourself.

> I am. See above.

------------------------

You most certainly are not! You consume goat's milk and eggs. NO
fruitarian uses those foods. Not to mention any of the vegetables that are
mentioned on your website which are not "vegetable fruits" that you may be
consuming. You seemed to imply earlier that you eat leafy greens. Leafy
greens don't fall under the botanical definition of fruit on your website,
so they can't be included in a fruitarian diet.

And if you use grains, don't forget your own website asks - "Are we
granivores like birds who thrive mostly on raw seeds of grasses and
*grains*?" The point is - of course we aren't, so you should consider
dropping grains (and maybe even raw seeds) from your diet. That is if you
wish to abide by what your website says there, and right after that where it
clearly implies that we are "frugivores who can thrive on a diet of raw
fresh bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, or melons meal after meal". No
grains mentioned there....

>> > Suggest a read of this;
>> > http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm .

>> I've seen that before. But again, this isn't about me and what I
>> believe.
>> It's about you and why you insist that humans are frugivores when you
>> aren't
>> even eating a frugivorous diet yourself.

> You may have "seen" it, but you sure haven't read it.

Are you sure about that?

> On your bike.

Off your animal products and leafy greens (for starters). If you want to
really be a fruitarian, that is.

-erpt

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message:

> Two things to note about the frugivorous diet. 1, it doesn't need to be
>
> exclusively fruit in order to qualify. A frugivore is simply an animal
> that
> eats mainly fruit.

------------------------------
True enough when referring to animals. I know that chimps for example do
eat a small amount of meat but still they are considered frugivores because
their diet is mostly fruit. But is Pearl using that kind of wider
definition when saying that humans are frugivores? For example if someone
ate a diet of, say, 60% fresh fruit, 30% nuts, seeds and "vegetable fruits",
and 10% meat, do you think she would consider that a frugivorous diet? I
don't think so. It appears that she (and the article on her website) have
narrowed the definitions down quite a bit when applying them to humans.
Which we humans tend to do, don't we, bringing ethics and morals and such
things into the picture. But like I said earlier in this thread, I
personally don't believe that humans are frugivores, anyway.

2. The botanical definition of fruit is somewhat
> broader
> than the everyday definition and includes grains, nuts, legumes and
> seed
> vegetables.

-------------------
True. That seems to be more what Pearl is going by (except including other
types of vegetables also, apparently). But the human fruitarians have
various definitions of the fruitarian diet inside of those categories, and
some categories are removed for some definitions.

IIRC correctly the article on Pearl's website includes
> goats
> milk in the list of foods that can be tolerated by the human body in
> small amounts when properly combined, whatever that means so the
> accusation that Pearl isn't following the diet she preaches might be
> difficult to back up unless you can also find an admission that she
> sometimes eats cooked food.

---------------------------
For the "human" definition of fruitarian diet, goat's milk and eggs are a
definite no-no. However, I'm willing to expand the definition of
frugivorous diet to that applied to chimps, so that could include her diet,
including the goat's milk and eggs, as long as the diet is mostly fruit.
But of course that definition would also cover some meat in the diet, as
with the chimps, and I don't think that would go over too well with
Pearl....

-erpt

> Having said that, I do not trust the article. For one thing, the
> dietary
> recommendations made, especially the list of foods deemed disruptive
> of human health is highly unorthodox and the rationale behind
> the recommendations is not clearly developed. Secondly, based on
> comparative anatomy our dietary needs are assumed to be similar
> to those of the frugivorous apes who naturally select the right foods
> while we have somehow lost the necessary instincts. Thirdly the
> fact that we have been using cooking for generations is not taken
> into account and our ability to chew and digest hard foods has
> diminished. It is not inconceivable to me that one could thrive on
> a raw food, vegan or lacto-vegetarian, frugivorous diet but one
> would have to really know what they were doing in order to do so.

"erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message:

--restore--

> > sweet?

> No, I'd suggest a wide variety of acid, sub-acid and sweet fruits.

--end restore--

> > 'What is a "Fruit"?
> >
> > From Webster's Dictionary comes the following definition
> > of "fruit" which is inclusive of many constituents of green
> > salad: A fruit is the reproductive product of a tree or other
> > plant... the edible, succulent product, generally covering
> > and including the seed... or mature ovary. Essentially, fruit
> > is made of two parts: the pericarp or edible flesh, and the
> > seed portion itself. Notice from this botanical definition of
> > fruit when considering our fruitarian character, this does
> > not mean exclusively sweet fruits. To enjoy an energetic,
> > youthful, disease-free life, eat a varied diet predominantly
> > of foods you are biologically adapted to: raw fresh fruits,
> > vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouted grains, and perhaps
> > occasional legumes and tubers.
> > ..'
> > http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm

> -----------------------------
>
> Alright then, obviously you wish to use references and the botanical
> definition of fruit from the article on your website - fine.

At the end of this little endeavour you try to imply that you
had read the article (prior to yesterday morning, that is).
If you had, you would have known what the definition is.

You should have done your homework before launching a
crusade against me. You've only made a fool of yourself.

> So lets look a
> little deeper into some specific vegetable foods. In the "What is a
> Vegetable?" section on your website it states:
>
> "Vegetables are classified into four main categories: 1. FRUIT-BEARING
> VARIETY: These are commonly referred to as "vegetables" but are actually
> non-sweet fruits, including tomatoes, squashes, peppers, cucumbers,
> pumpkins, and eggplant."
>
> So Pearl, if you included such "vegetable fruits" as these in a fruitarian
> diet, it could still be considered a fruitarian diet. (They obviously fit
> into the Webster's Dictionary definition of fruit which you provided above.)

Right.

> The article goes on with the other categories:
> "2. GREEN VEGETABLES: Include the leafy greens, all non starchy vegetables,
> sprouts, and all cruciferous family vegetables such as broccoli,
> cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage and zucchini."
>
> 3. BULBS TUBERS AND ROOTS: Includes underground vegetables such as carrots,
> beets, potatoes, yams, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, etc. Also included in
> this category are mildly toxic, sharp tasting vegetables such as garlic,
> onions, scallions, leeks and radishes.
>
> 4. FUNGI: These include mushrooms, algae and seaweed vegetables."
>
> These vegetables are NOT included in section #1 above, and so they are not
> botanically considered to be fruits (or "vegetable fruits"). Do you ever
> eat any of the kinds of vegetables in section 1-4, Pearl? If so, then
> according to your website you are not eating a fruitarian diet. You do eat
> leafy greens, don't you?

I am eating a *frugivorous* diet. Frugivores eat primarily fruits.

A terrestrial (as opposed to arboreal) frugivore will forage for
more plant foods that are within easy reach near ground level.

> >> Yes, "perhaps" - it depends on the type of fruitarian you wish to be.
> >> Fruitarians who are purists eat only fruits, and no nuts, seeds or
> >> vegetables (meaning the "vegetable fruits" - cucumbers, sweet peppers,
> >> etc,
> >> in particular).

> > We're talking about a frugivorous diet. See definition above.

> ---------------------
>
> Yes, it's clear now

Now that you've actually read the article.

> that you wish to go by the botanical definition(s) in
> the article on your website.

Uhuh.

> But just for the record, there are fruitarians
> who advocate a strict fruit only diet. For example Rejean Durette who wrote
> the book "Fruit: The Ultimate Diet" states:
>
> "A Fruitarian is someone who eats predominantly fruit and ideally 100%.
> "Fruits" include all tree fruits, all berries, watermelons, vine fruits like
> kiwis and grapes and vegetable-fruits like tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.
> Fruitarians living in tropical environments would consume coconuts although
> coconuts are often thought of as a nut. Some Fruitarians will consume nuts
> and vegetables to a certain extent, although these rarely would be consumed
> in any great amount by a Fruitarian, however we promote a true fruitarian
> diet, 100% fruit with no nuts and no vegetables or greens."
>
> http://www.fruitarianvibes.com/Fruitarian_Facts.htm
>
> And in contrast, just to show the variety of opinion here's a fruitarian
> website that promotes the optimum fruitarian diet as consisting of - "all
> the usual fruits you know, but we also think of avocado, cucumbers,
> tomatoes, paprika, olives and squash as fruits. (They are actually
> vegetable-fruits)." They consider the next best fruitarian diet to be one
> that also "sometimes" includes nuts and seeds:
>
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/fruitarian/whatEat.html

They. Not I.

> >> Yes "maybe". Some fruitarians eat fruits, nuts and seeds, but no
> >> vegetables
> >> (meaning not even the "vegetable fruits") at all. They don't consider
> >> them
> >> to really be fruits.

> > If that is true, then they err greatly.

> -----------------------
>
> "There are different variations of fruitarianism. Some fruitarians will eat
> only what falls (or would fall) naturally from a plant-fruits, seeds and
> nuts. Others may eat all biological fruits. The former argue that the
> slippery slope of what 'would' fall from the plant leads to including foods
> that would otherwise be taboo. Grains are usually disallowed, as they are
> conventionally harvested by cutting down the plant."
>
> http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Fruitarianism
>
> and, from The American Heritage Dictionary;
>
> fruit·ar·i·an:
> "One whose diet includes fruits, seeds, and nuts but no vegetables, grains,
> or animal products."
>
> http://www.bartleby.com/61/44/F0344400.html

1) frugivore.
....An animal, such as a chimpanzee or fruit bat, that feeds
primarily on fruit. From frugivorous....
http://www.bartleby.com/cgi-bin/texis/webinator/sitesearch?FILTER=col61&query=frugivore&x=0&y=0

> [...]

> *grains*". That section is saying that we are actually "frugivores who can
> thrive on a diet of raw fresh bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, or melons
> meal after meal." Yes, this section from your own website seems quite
> clearly to be advocating a strict fruit only diet, like Rejean Durette whom
> I mentioned above, and certainly not grains.

'To enjoy an energetic, youthful, disease-free life, eat a varied
diet predominantly of foods you are biologically adapted to:
raw fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouted grains, and
perhaps occasional legumes and tubers...'

> Besides, you say that humans are frugivores. Our modern grains were
> cultivated by humans over the past 10,000 years or so with the development
> of agriculture. Do you think our ancient ancestors millions of years ago
> were eating any appreciable amount of raw wild grains when they were hanging

Why do you think they weren't? Why would humans decide to
cultivate grains and cereals, if they didn't find them to be edible?

> Our close primate cousins the chimps don't
> seem to have anything like grains in their natural diets, from what I've
> read. Perhaps you should eliminate grains from your "fruitarian" diet, they
> may be quite unnatural and foreign to the diet humans originally evolved on,
> you may well be much better off without them. Legumes too perhaps, for the
> same reasons. Your own website doesn't put legumes in the same category as
> the other fruits, and says that the suggested diet can contain "perhaps
> occasional legumes...."

Not the strict fruitarian diet you're trying to make it out to be then.

> >> Leafy greens aren't fruits, either.

> > 'GREEN VEGETABLES: Include the leafy greens, all
> > non starchy vegetables, sprouts, and all cruciferous family
> > vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts,
> > cabbage and zucchini. [..]
> > The bulk of our diet should consist of raw fresh fruits,
> > vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouted whole grains, legumes
> > and tubers for three main reasons: This prevents overeating
> > concentrated foods that otherwise may lead to constipation;
> > This insures an abundance of vitamins and minerals from
> > raw, fresh produce; It provides the needed bulk, necessary
> > for normal elimination. Practically all animals in nature
> > consume green foliage of some type. Even the carnivore,
> > at times, consumes large amounts of vegetation. Plants are
> > high-fiber, high-water content foods. The low-fiber,
> > low-water content meat based diet of the carnivore
> > requires plant food to keep the colon cleansed, since flesh
> > is naturally constipating. Green leafy plants are eaten to a
> > lesser or greater extent throughout nature. Whatever else
> > an animal eats relative to its specific adaptations, some
> > green leafy food is invariably needed in the diet.
> > ..'
> > http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm

> ------------------------------
>
> Like I said above, leafy greens aren't fruits, either. I don't see anything
> there saying that leafy greens, or the other mentioned vegetables like
> cabbage, tubers, etc., are actually fruits. If you include those kinds of
> vegetables in your diet, by the botanical definition on your website it
> won't be a frugivorous diet. You say that humans are fugivores, meaning of
> course that our ancient ancestors must have evolved on a frugivorous diet.
> But leafy greens are not fruits (by the definition on your website), so they
> must not have been included in our ancient ancestor's diet.

The definition was for "fruit", not "frugivore".

> Yet the article
> on your website states (above) - "Green leafy plants are eaten to a lesser
> or greater extent throughout nature. Whatever else an animal eats relative
> to its specific adaptations, some green leafy food is invariably needed in
> the diet." So what's up with this contradiction between you and the article
> on your website?

There is no contradiction.

> >> But if someone ate a diet
> >> of fruits, nuts and seeds, "vegetable fruits" and leafy greens, I would
> >> still call that a fruitarian diet. But the more purist fruitarian types
> >> would disagree, I'm sure.

> > Thought we were talking about a frugivorous diet?

> -----------------------
>
> Ah, I now know that you are one of the more purist fruitarian types I
> referred to above. I respect your perfectionism! Your website has
> convinced me to now tighten up my definition of fruitarian, so I'm taking
> out the leafy greens. I was allowing some "wiggle room" in my definition,
> but no more. From now on I'll consider a fruitarian diet to be only fruits,
> nuts and seeds, and the "vegetable fruits". But I refuse to add grains in,
> because, as your website implores: "Are we true herbivores (grazers) who
> thrive on lettuce, grasses, *raw grains*, celery, etc., as do horses, cows
> and sheep?" Of course we aren't! So no grains.

'The bulk of our diet should consist of raw fresh fruits, vegetables,
nuts, seeds, sprouted whole grains, legumes and tubers .....'

> >> Whatever. This isn't about me, anyway. It's about you and why you
> >> insist
> >> that humans are frugivores when you aren't even eating a frugivorous diet
> >> yourself.

> > I am. See above.

> ------------------------
>
> You most certainly are not! You consume goat's milk and eggs.

I consume a negligible amount of milk, and eggs very rarely indeed.

> NO fruitarian uses those foods.

Since I haven't claimed to be 'a fruitarian', you really have no case.

> Not to mention any of the vegetables that are
> mentioned on your website which are not "vegetable fruits" that you may be
> consuming. You seemed to imply earlier that you eat leafy greens. Leafy
> greens don't fall under the botanical definition of fruit on your website,
> so they can't be included in a fruitarian diet.

But I'm talking about a frugivorous diet, which does include them.

> And if you use grains, don't forget your own website asks - "Are we
> granivores like birds who thrive mostly on raw seeds of grasses and
> *grains*?" The point is - of course we aren't, so you should consider
> dropping grains (and maybe even raw seeds) from your diet. That is if you
> wish to abide by what your website says there, and right after that where it
> clearly implies that we are "frugivores who can thrive on a diet of raw
> fresh bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, or melons meal after meal". No
> grains mentioned there....

'Based upon man's digestive physiology, the following raw foodstuffs
make up our most natural diet (listed in order of preference relative to
the food's biological value): 1. Fresh fruits 2. Succulent fruit-like
vegetables (such as tomatoes) 3. Leafy greens and sprouts
4. Non-starchy vegetables 5. Nuts and seeds. The following foods,
while not optimum, can be handled by human digestive physiology in
moderate amounts when properly combined: 1. Starchy vegetables
2. Grains 3. Cereals and 4. Legumes. '

> >> I've seen that before. But again, this isn't about me and what I
> >> believe.
> >> It's about you and why you insist that humans are frugivores when you
> >> aren't
> >> even eating a frugivorous diet yourself.

> > You may have "seen" it, but you sure haven't read it.

> Are you sure about that?

You hadn't.

> > On your bike.

> Off your animal products and leafy greens (for starters). If you want to
> really be a fruitarian, that is.

I'm a Frugivore, no matter what I eat.. same as you.

> -erpt

"pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message:

> --restore--
>> >
>> > sweet?

>> No, I'd suggest a wide variety of acid, sub-acid and sweet fruits.

> --end restore--
>
>> > 'What is a "Fruit"?
>> >
>> > From Webster's Dictionary comes the following definition
>> > of "fruit" which is inclusive of many constituents of green
>> > salad: A fruit is the reproductive product of a tree or other
>> > plant... the edible, succulent product, generally covering
>> > and including the seed... or mature ovary. Essentially, fruit
>> > is made of two parts: the pericarp or edible flesh, and the
>> > seed portion itself. Notice from this botanical definition of
>> > fruit when considering our fruitarian character, this does
>> > not mean exclusively sweet fruits. To enjoy an energetic,
>> > youthful, disease-free life, eat a varied diet predominantly
>> > of foods you are biologically adapted to: raw fresh fruits,
>> > vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouted grains, and perhaps
>> > occasional legumes and tubers.
>> > ..'
>> > http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm

>> -----------------------------
>>
>> Alright then, obviously you wish to use references and the botanical
>> definition of fruit from the article on your website - fine.

> At the end of this little endeavour you try to imply that you
> had read the article (prior to yesterday morning, that is).
> If you had, you would have known what the definition is.

-----------------------------

On your website there is the statement "...are we frugivores who can thrive
on a diet of raw fresh bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, or melons meal
after meal", which implies a frugivorous diet is a strict fruit diet (as
some fruitarians follow). Your website also contains the wider botanical
definition of fruit (which some other fruitarians follow). Your website
also recommends foods that definitely fall outside of that common botanical
definition of fruit (such as tubers and leafy green vegetables). So I
didn't (couldn't) know exactly where you stood on the matter until you
posted #2 - the botanical definition.

HOWEVER..... that's all moot now, because in your latest post you have made
it clear that when you say humans are frugivores, you are using the much
wider definition that applies when describing (natural) animal diets, and
not the more strict definition humans use for their own fruitarian diets
(which I had wrongly assumed you were going by), which invariably fall
completely within the botanical definition. I have to say I'm very
surprised by your position on that, I really didn't think you'd want to go
there, but we will (below)...

> You should have done your homework before launching a
> crusade against me. You've only made a fool of yourself.

------------------

I'm touched by your concern for my public image.......
(BTW, I have books on Natural Hygiene by Herbert Shelton so I am already
familiar with writings along the lines of the article on your website.)

>> So lets look a
>> little deeper into some specific vegetable foods. In the "What is a
>> Vegetable?" section on your website it states:
>>
>> "Vegetables are classified into four main categories: 1. FRUIT-BEARING
>> VARIETY: These are commonly referred to as "vegetables" but are actually
>> non-sweet fruits, including tomatoes, squashes, peppers, cucumbers,
>> pumpkins, and eggplant."
>>
>> So Pearl, if you included such "vegetable fruits" as these in a
>> fruitarian
>> diet, it could still be considered a fruitarian diet. (They obviously
>> fit
>> into the Webster's Dictionary definition of fruit which you provided
>> above.)

> Right.
>
>> The article goes on with the other categories:
>> "2. GREEN VEGETABLES: Include the leafy greens, all non starchy
>> vegetables,
>> sprouts, and all cruciferous family vegetables such as broccoli,
>> cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage and zucchini."
>>
>> 3. BULBS TUBERS AND ROOTS: Includes underground vegetables such as
>> carrots,
>> beets, potatoes, yams, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, etc. Also included
>> in
>> this category are mildly toxic, sharp tasting vegetables such as garlic,
>> onions, scallions, leeks and radishes.
>>
>> 4. FUNGI: These include mushrooms, algae and seaweed vegetables."
>>
>> These vegetables are NOT included in section #1 above, and so they are
>> not
>> botanically considered to be fruits (or "vegetable fruits"). Do you ever
>> eat any of the kinds of vegetables in section 1-4, Pearl? If so, then
>> according to your website you are not eating a fruitarian diet. You do
>> eat
>> leafy greens, don't you?

> I am eating a *frugivorous* diet. Frugivores eat primarily fruits.

-------------------------

There we go! Now you have shown that you are using the definition of
frugivore as it applies to natural animal diets. That's fine..... now that
that's established I'll agree 100% with you that (by that definition)
frugivores eat *primarily* fruits, and so could eat vegetable matter that
falls outside of the botanical definition of "fruit", and still be
considered "frugivores". We'll carry on.....

> A terrestrial (as opposed to arboreal) frugivore will forage for
> more plant foods that are within easy reach near ground level.

>> > We're talking about a frugivorous diet. See definition above.

>> ---------------------
>>
>> Yes, it's clear now

> Now that you've actually read the article.
>
>> that you wish to go by the botanical definition(s) in
>> the article on your website.

> Uhuh.
>
>> But just for the record, there are fruitarians
>> who advocate a strict fruit only diet. For example Rejean Durette who
>> wrote
>> the book "Fruit: The Ultimate Diet" states:
>>
>> "A Fruitarian is someone who eats predominantly fruit and ideally 100%.
>> "Fruits" include all tree fruits, all berries, watermelons, vine fruits
>> like
>> kiwis and grapes and vegetable-fruits like tomatoes, peppers and
>> cucumbers.
>> Fruitarians living in tropical environments would consume coconuts
>> although
>> coconuts are often thought of as a nut. Some Fruitarians will consume
>> nuts
>> and vegetables to a certain extent, although these rarely would be
>> consumed
>> in any great amount by a Fruitarian, however we promote a true fruitarian
>> diet, 100% fruit with no nuts and no vegetables or greens."
>>
>> http://www.fruitarianvibes.com/Fruitarian_Facts.htm
>>
>> And in contrast, just to show the variety of opinion here's a fruitarian
>> website that promotes the optimum fruitarian diet as consisting of - "all
>> the usual fruits you know, but we also think of avocado, cucumbers,
>> tomatoes, paprika, olives and squash as fruits. (They are actually
>> vegetable-fruits)." They consider the next best fruitarian diet to be
>> one
>> that also "sometimes" includes nuts and seeds:
>>
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/fruitarian/whatEat.html

> They. Not I.

--------------------------

Understood...... you are going by the definition as applied to natural
animal diets. The references pertaining to the definitions of the more
strict "human" fruitarian diets I supplied above are irrelevant to your
definition. We'll carry on....

>> > If that is true, then they err greatly.

>> -----------------------
>>
>> "There are different variations of fruitarianism. Some fruitarians will
>> eat
>> only what falls (or would fall) naturally from a plant-fruits, seeds and
>> nuts. Others may eat all biological fruits. The former argue that the
>> slippery slope of what 'would' fall from the plant leads to including
>> foods
>> that would otherwise be taboo. Grains are usually disallowed, as they are
>> conventionally harvested by cutting down the plant."
>>
>> http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Fruitarianism
>>
>> and, from The American Heritage Dictionary;
>>
>> fruit·ar·i·an:
>> "One whose diet includes fruits, seeds, and nuts but no vegetables,
>> grains,
>> or animal products."
>>
>> http://www.bartleby.com/61/44/F0344400.html

> 1) frugivore.
> ...An animal, such as a chimpanzee or fruit bat, that feeds
> primarily on fruit. From frugivorous....
> http://www.bartleby.com/cgi-bin/texis/webinator/sitesearch?FILTER=col61&query=frugivore&x=0&y=0

------------------------

Perfect! Thanks for providing the definition used for natural animal diets,
proving you agree with it. As I'm sure you know, the frugivorous
chimpanzees generally do eat a small amount of meat in their diets. So when
you say humans are "frugivores", that means people can also include some
meat in their diet and be in full compliance with your definition, as long
as the diet is still "mostly fruit".

In fact, lets say someone eats a diet that consists of 60% fruits by the
botanical definition (including breads/grain and legume products, nuts,
seeds, and the "vegetable fruits"), as well as 20% vegetables that are not
botanical fruits (tubers, leafy greens, etc.), 10% milk/dairy products and
eggs, and 10% meat. By your accepted definition, that would be a
frugivorous diet. Well how about that! Who knows, there may even be meat
eaters on this NG who follow a diet similar to the one above, who insist
that humans are omnivores, and who you do battle with here insisting that
humans are frugivores. Such a meat eater's diet would actually be in full
compliance with the definition of frugivorous diet that you accept, meat and
all. Amazing!

I apologize for earlier assuming that you were going by the more strict
definition that humans use for their fruitarian diets (which allows NO
meat-that's why I assumed that), rather than the frugivorous definition that
applies to natural animal diets like that of the chimps, which does allow
meat in the diet, as long as the diet is still "mostly fruit". And I
apologize for earlier saying that you don't follow a frugivorous diet. Now
that I know that you follow the much wider "animal" frugivorous diet
definition, I'll correct my record and state that you do follow it (as do
many others who may also eat meat, for sure). I'm glad we've got that
resolved! Friends now?

Sincerely,
-erpt

reference:
"Meat is a favored food item among chimpanzees, but does not make up more
than two percent of their overall diet."
http://www.janegoodall.org/chimp_central/chimpanzees/behavior/hunting.asp

===============================

> [...]

>> grains mentioned there....

> 'Based upon man's digestive physiology, the following raw foodstuffs
> make up our most natural diet (listed in order of preference relative to
> the food's biological value): 1. Fresh fruits 2. Succulent fruit-like
> vegetables (such as tomatoes) 3. Leafy greens and sprouts
> 4. Non-starchy vegetables 5. Nuts and seeds. The following foods,
> while not optimum, can be handled by human digestive physiology in
> moderate amounts when properly combined: 1. Starchy vegetables
> 2. Grains 3. Cereals and 4. Legumes. '

>> > You may have "seen" it, but you sure haven't read it.

>> Are you sure about that?

> You hadn't.
>
>> > On your bike.

>> Off your animal products and leafy greens (for starters). If you want to
>> really be a fruitarian, that is.

> I'm a Frugivore, no matter what I eat.. same as you.

Pearl, I have a question for you. In your message below (close to the end)
you state:

> "Since I haven't claimed to be 'a fruitarian', you really have no case."

But in the article on your website, in the "Science Verifies That Humans
Ancestors Were Frugivores" section, it states:

"Dr. Alan Walker, an anthropologist of John Hopkins University in Maryland,
has done research showing that early humans were once exclusively fruit
eaters. By careful examination of fossil teeth and fossilized human remains
with electron microscopes and other sophisticated tools, Dr. Walker and his
colleagues are absolutely certain that early humans until relatively
recently, were total fruitarians."

So I'm wondering why you won't say that you are a "fruitarian", when that
section about Dr. Walker on your website says that humans are. (Well, it
says that until relatively recently we *were* total fruitarians. That's
dietarily speaking of course, meaning he believes we ate a total fruitarian
diet until relatively recently. But biologically speaking we of course are
still fruitarians, according to him.)

So what's up with that, Pearl, why won't you admit that you're a fruitarian,
like your website says you are?

-erpt
---------------

> [...]

>> grains mentioned there....

> 'Based upon man's digestive physiology, the following raw foodstuffs
> make up our most natural diet (listed in order of preference relative to
> the food's biological value): 1. Fresh fruits 2. Succulent fruit-like
> vegetables (such as tomatoes) 3. Leafy greens and sprouts
> 4. Non-starchy vegetables 5. Nuts and seeds. The following foods,
> while not optimum, can be handled by human digestive physiology in
> moderate amounts when properly combined: 1. Starchy vegetables
> 2. Grains 3. Cereals and 4. Legumes. '

>> > You may have "seen" it, but you sure haven't read it.

>> Are you sure about that?

> You hadn't.
>
>> > On your bike.

>> Off your animal products and leafy greens (for starters). If you want to
>> really be a fruitarian, that is.

> I'm a Frugivore, no matter what I eat.. same as you.

Hey Pearl, I'm wondering about something in the "Biological Adaptions"
article on your website that I find confusing. In the section "Science
Verifies That Humans Ancestors Were Frugivores", it states:

"Dr. Alan Walker, an anthropologist of John Hopkins University in Maryland,
has done research showing that early humans were once exclusively fruit
eaters. By careful examination of fossil teeth and fossilized human remains
with electron microscopes and other sophisticated tools, Dr. Walker and his
colleagues are absolutely certain that early humans until relatively
recently, were total fruitarians." .... and .... "A few thousand years of
aberrant eating will not change our dietary requirements for optimum
health."

So Dr. Walker says humans "were once exclusively fruit eaters" and that
"early humans until relatively recently, were total fruitarians." That
would of course mean no meat in the human diet until relatively recently (a
few thousand years ago, by the last statement above) according to him.

HOWEVER, in the very next section "Scientists Confirm Our Biological
Adaptations", it states:

"For millions of years our ancestors evolved on diets of plants and very
lean wild game" says S. Boyd Eaton, M.D. author of The Paleolithic
Prescription, and adjunct associate professor of anthropology at Emery
University in Atlanta."

So what's up with that? One section of the article on your website says
that our ancestors evolved for millions of years eating meat, and in the
section right before that in the very same article it says early humans
until relatively recently (a few thousand years ago) were total fruitarians,
meaning of course no meat in our ancestor's diet over most of those same
millions of years. I certainly believe the second (meat-eating) part to be
much closer to the truth. But that article on your website sure can be
confusing (or is it just me?)...

-erpt

reference:
http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm

"erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message:

> > --restore--

> >> No, I'd suggest a wide variety of acid, sub-acid and sweet fruits.

> > --end restore--

> >> -----------------------------
> >>
> >> Alright then, obviously you wish to use references and the botanical
> >> definition of fruit from the article on your website - fine.

> > At the end of this little endeavour you try to imply that you
> > had read the article (prior to yesterday morning, that is).
> > If you had, you would have known what the definition is.

> -----------------------------
>

> On your website there is the statement "...are we frugivores who can thrive
> on a diet of raw fresh bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, or melons meal
> after meal", which implies a frugivorous diet is a strict fruit diet (as
> some fruitarians follow). Your website also contains the wider botanical
> definition of fruit (which some other fruitarians follow). Your website
> also recommends foods that definitely fall outside of that common botanical
> definition of fruit (such as tubers and leafy green vegetables). So I
> didn't (couldn't) know exactly where you stood on the matter until you
> posted #2 - the botanical definition.

So you hadn't read further than the first paragraph. Ok.

> HOWEVER..... that's all moot now, because in your latest post you have made
> it clear that when you say humans are frugivores, you are using the much
> wider definition that applies when describing (natural) animal diets, and
> not the more strict definition humans use for their own fruitarian diets
> (which I had wrongly assumed you were going by), which invariably fall
> completely within the botanical definition. I have to say I'm very
> surprised by your position on that, I really didn't think you'd want to go
> there, but we will (below)...

Why are you surprised? You made reference to previous discussions
in your very first post to this thread:

'.. she has insisted numerous times in other discussions that humans
are actually frugivores, and certainly animal products wouldn't be a
natural part of our diet if that were true, and she certainly believes it's
true. '

From that it is clear that you knew perfectly well that I was referring
to humans' natural diet and not the fruitarian diet you were on about.

> > You should have done your homework before launching a
> > crusade against me. You've only made a fool of yourself.

> ------------------
>
> I'm touched by your concern for my public image.......

No skin off my nose. It is you who should be concerned.

> (BTW, I have books on Natural Hygiene by Herbert Shelton so I am already
> familiar with writings along the lines of the article on your website.)

Give the lad a plum.

> >> So lets look a
> >> little deeper into some specific vegetable foods. In the "What is a
> >> Vegetable?" section on your website it states:
> >>
> >> "Vegetables are classified into four main categories: 1. FRUIT-BEARING
> >> VARIETY: These are commonly referred to as "vegetables" but are actually
> >> non-sweet fruits, including tomatoes, squashes, peppers, cucumbers,
> >> pumpkins, and eggplant."
> >>
> >> So Pearl, if you included such "vegetable fruits" as these in a
> >> fruitarian
> >> diet, it could still be considered a fruitarian diet. (They obviously
> >> fit
> >> into the Webster's Dictionary definition of fruit which you provided
> >> above.)

> > Right.
> >
> >> The article goes on with the other categories:
> >> "2. GREEN VEGETABLES: Include the leafy greens, all non starchy
> >> vegetables,
> >> sprouts, and all cruciferous family vegetables such as broccoli,
> >> cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage and zucchini."
> >>
> >> 3. BULBS TUBERS AND ROOTS: Includes underground vegetables such as
> >> carrots,
> >> beets, potatoes, yams, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, etc. Also included
> >> in
> >> this category are mildly toxic, sharp tasting vegetables such as garlic,
> >> onions, scallions, leeks and radishes.
> >>
> >> 4. FUNGI: These include mushrooms, algae and seaweed vegetables."
> >>
> >> These vegetables are NOT included in section #1 above, and so they are
> >> not
> >> botanically considered to be fruits (or "vegetable fruits"). Do you ever
> >> eat any of the kinds of vegetables in section 1-4, Pearl? If so, then
> >> according to your website you are not eating a fruitarian diet. You do
> >> eat
> >> leafy greens, don't you?

> > I am eating a *frugivorous* diet. Frugivores eat primarily fruits.

> -------------------------
>
> There we go! Now you have shown that you are using the definition of
> frugivore as it applies to natural animal diets. That's fine..... now that
> that's established I'll agree 100% with you that (by that definition)
> frugivores eat *primarily* fruits, and so could eat vegetable matter that
> falls outside of the botanical definition of "fruit", and still be
> considered "frugivores". We'll carry on.....

But you knew from the beginning that that is what I meant.

> [...]

> >> foods
> >> that would otherwise be taboo. Grains are usually disallowed, as they are
> >> conventionally harvested by cutting down the plant."
> >>
> >> http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Fruitarianism
> >>
> >> and, from The American Heritage Dictionary;
> >>
> >> fruit·ar·i·an:
> >> "One whose diet includes fruits, seeds, and nuts but no vegetables,
> >> grains,
> >> or animal products."
> >>
> >> http://www.bartleby.com/61/44/F0344400.html

> > 1) frugivore.
> > ...An animal, such as a chimpanzee or fruit bat, that feeds
> > primarily on fruit. From frugivorous....
> > http://www.bartleby.com/cgi-bin/texis/webinator/sitesearch?FILTER=col61&query=frugivore&x=0&y=0

> ------------------------
>

> Perfect! Thanks for providing the definition used for natural animal diets,

Again, you knew that that is what I was referring to from the start.

> As I'm sure you know, the frugivorous
> chimpanzees generally do eat a small amount of meat in their diets.

No, actually, I don't know that.

> So when
> you say humans are "frugivores", that means people can also include some
> meat in their diet and be in full compliance with your definition, as long
> as the diet is still "mostly fruit".
>
> In fact, lets say someone eats a diet that consists of 60% fruits by the
> botanical definition (including breads/grain and legume products, nuts,
> seeds, and the "vegetable fruits"), as well as 20% vegetables that are not
> botanical fruits (tubers, leafy greens, etc.), 10% milk/dairy products and
> eggs, and 10% meat. By your accepted definition, that would be a
> frugivorous diet.

No, it would not. A frugivorous diet in favorable conditions
would be more in line with the following percentages given:

'Kano and Mulavwa provided the most detailed account of
the feeding behaviour of Wamba bonobos based on a
4-month study. Tuttle reports that their diet was 80% fruit
pulp, 15% fibrous foods and 5% seeds, and that "Animal
foods constituted a minute part of their fare" (p.95). '
http://tinyurl.com/d8aqw

> Well how about that! Who knows, there may even be meat
> eaters on this NG who follow a diet similar to the one above, who insist
> that humans are omnivores, and who you do battle with here insisting that
> humans are frugivores. Such a meat eater's diet would actually be in full
> compliance with the definition of frugivorous diet that you accept, meat and
> all. Amazing!

If animal matter constitutes a minute part of their fare. However:

'.. disease rates were significantly associated within a range
of dietary plant food composition that suggested an absence
of a disease prevention threshold. That is, the closer a diet
is to an all-plant foods diet, the greater will be the reduction
in the rates of these diseases.'
http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Nov98/thermogenesis_paper.html

> I apologize for earlier assuming that you were going by the more strict
> definition that humans use for their fruitarian diets (which allows NO
> meat-that's why I assumed that), rather than the frugivorous definition that
> applies to natural animal diets like that of the chimps, which does allow
> meat in the diet, as long as the diet is still "mostly fruit". And I
> apologize for earlier saying that you don't follow a frugivorous diet. Now
> that I know that you follow the much wider "animal" frugivorous diet
> definition, I'll correct my record and state that you do follow it (as do
> many others who may also eat meat, for sure).

If no more than 2% of their diet as per your source below.

> I'm glad we've got that resolved! Friends now?
>
> Sincerely,

Suuure.

> -erpt
>
> reference:
> "Meat is a favored food item among chimpanzees, but does not make up more
> than two percent of their overall diet."
> http://www.janegoodall.org/chimp_central/chimpanzees/behavior/hunting.asp

Gombe National Park is a limited area, and competition is high.

'..The park is made up of narrow mountain strip of land about
16 kilometers long and 5 kilometers wide on the shore of Lake
Tanganyika. From the lake shore steep slopes rises up to form the
Rift Valley's escapement, which is covered by the dense forest.
The dominating vegetation in this park include the open
deciduous woodland on the upper slopes, gallery forests on
the valleys and lower slopes. This type of vegetation is unique in
Tanzania and has been supporting a large number of Chimpanzee,
Baboons, and a large number of bird species. Other species seen
here are colobus, blue and red tail monkeys. ..'
http://www.utalii.com/gombe national park.htm

'Kortlandt states that predation by chimpanzees on vertebrates is
undoubtedly a rather rare phenomenon among rainforest-dwelling
populations of chimpanzees. Kortlandt lists the reasons given
below in his evidence.

# the absence (or virtual absence) of animal matter in the
digestive systems of hundreds of hunted, dissected or
otherwise investigated cases
# the rarity of parasites indicating carnivorous habits
# rarity of pertinent field observations
# the responses when he placed live as well as dead
potential prey animals along the chimpanzee paths at Beni
(in the poorer environments of the savanna landscape
however, predation on vertebrates appears to be much
more common)

Kortlandt concludes this section on primate diets by saying that
the wealth of flora and insect fauna in the rain-forest provides both
chimpanzees and orang-utans with a dietary spectrum that seems
wide enough to meet their nutritional requirements, without hunting
and killing of vertebrates being necessary. It is in the poorer
nutritional environments, where plant sources may be scarce or of
low quality where carnivorous behaviour arises. Even then he says
that the meat obtained are minimal and perhaps insufficient to meet
basic needs. Finally he adds "The same conclusion applies, of
course, to hominids . . . it is strange that most palaeoanthropologists
have never been willing to accept the elementary facts on this matter
that have emerged from both nutritional science and primate research."
...'
http://tinyurl.com/d8aqw

> ===============================

<..>

"erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hey Pearl, I'm wondering about something in the "Biological Adaptions"
> article on your website that I find confusing. In the section "Science
> Verifies That Humans Ancestors Were Frugivores", it states:
>
> "Dr. Alan Walker, an anthropologist of John Hopkins University in Maryland,
> has done research showing that early humans were once exclusively fruit
> eaters. By careful examination of fossil teeth and fossilized human remains
> with electron microscopes and other sophisticated tools, Dr. Walker and his
> colleagues are absolutely certain that early humans until relatively
> recently, were total fruitarians." .... and .... "A few thousand years of
> aberrant eating will not change our dietary requirements for optimum
> health."

The entire paragraph reads as follows:

'Science Verifies That Humans' Ancestors Were Frugivores'.

Recent research by anthropologists shows that we had an arboreal past.
Our genetic ancestors were once tree dwellers. At that time, our genetic
ancestors depended upon products of the tree, and later upon the fruits
of stalk and vine for our sustenance. Dr. Alan Walker, an anthropologist
of John Hopkins University in Maryland, has done research showing that
early humans were once exclusively fruit eaters. By careful examination
of fossil teeth and fossilized human remains with electron microscopes
and other sophisticated tools, Dr. Walker and his colleagues are
absolutely certain that early humans until relatively recently, were total
fruitarians. These findings were reported in depth in the May 15, 1979
issue of the New York Times. The essence of Walker's research is that
even though humans have adopted omnivorous and carnivorous eating
practices, our anatomy and physiology have not changed. We remain
biologically a species of fruit eaters. The human digestive system has
been adapted to a diet of fruits and vegetables for more than 60 million
years of development. A few thousand years of aberrant eating will
not change our dietary requirements for optimum health. '

From the Fruitarian Network:

Dr Alan Walker and his associates, anthropologists at John Hopkins
University, using the most modern electronic microscopic equipment,
state: "Preliminary studies of fossil teeth have led to the startling
suggestion that our early human ancestors (Australopithecus) were
not predominantly meat-eaters or even eaters of seeds, shoots, leaves
or grasses, nor were they omnivorous. Instead they appear to have
subsisted chiefly on a diet of fruit. Every tooth examined from the
hominids of the 12 million year period leading up to **** Erectus
appeared to be that of a fruit-eater." NY Times, May 1979. '

I cannot edit the paragraph as I am not the author, so I've inserted
the above from Dr. Walker in order to correct and clarify the issue.

> So Dr. Walker says humans "were once exclusively fruit eaters" and that
> "early humans until relatively recently, were total fruitarians." That
> would of course mean no meat in the human diet until relatively recently (a
> few thousand years ago, by the last statement above) according to him.

Well, a few thousand years of domesticated animals- meat, milk and eggs
on a regular basis, and horticulture - large amounts of grains and cereals.

> HOWEVER, in the very next section "Scientists Confirm Our Biological
> Adaptations", it states:
>
> "For millions of years our ancestors evolved on diets of plants and very
> lean wild game" says S. Boyd Eaton, M.D. author of The Paleolithic
> Prescription, and adjunct associate professor of anthropology at Emery
> University in Atlanta."

This gives a completely different impression the other way, I agree.

I've added the following in order to avoid any further confusion there.

".... while early humans ate some meat, we do not know how much
meat they ate, nor whether they got the meat by hunting or scavenging.
It is not until much later, around 100,000 years ago, that we have
good evidence about human hunting skills, and it is clear that humans
then were still very ineffective big-game hunters. Human hunters of
500,000 years ago and earlier must have been more ineffective. ...."
The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpazee, Jared Diamond, 1991,
pp.33-34

'Ethnographic parallels with modern hunter-gatherer communities have
been taken to show that the colder the climate, the greater the reliance
on meat. There are sound biological and economic reasons for this, not
least in the ready availability of large amounts of fat in arctic mammals.
From this, it has been deduced that the humans of the glacial periods
were primarily hunters, while plant foods were more important during
the interglacials. '
http://www.phancocks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/naturalhistory/devensian.htm

"Studies of frugivorous communities elsewhere suggest that dietary
divergence is highest when preferred food (succulent fruit) is scarce,
and that niche separation is clear only at such times (Gautier-Hion &
Gautier 1979: Terborgh 1983). - Foraging profiles of sympatric
lowland gorillas and chimpanzees in the Lopé Reserve, Gabon, p.179,
Philosophical Transactions: Biological Sciences vol 334, 159-295,
No. 1270

> So what's up with that? One section of the article on your website says
> that our ancestors evolved for millions of years eating meat, and in the
> section right before that in the very same article it says early humans
> until relatively recently (a few thousand years ago) were total fruitarians,
> meaning of course no meat in our ancestor's diet over most of those same
> millions of years. I certainly believe the second (meat-eating) part to be
> much closer to the truth. But that article on your website sure can be
> confusing (or is it just me?)...
>
> -erpt

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Hope the above helps.

> reference:
> http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm

See other post.

"erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Pearl, I have a question for you. In your message below (close to the end)
> you state:
>
> > "Since I haven't claimed to be 'a fruitarian', you really have no case."

> But in the article on your website, in the "Science Verifies That Humans
> Ancestors Were Frugivores" section, it states:
>
> "Dr. Alan Walker, an anthropologist of John Hopkins University in Maryland,
> has done research showing that early humans were once exclusively fruit
> eaters. By careful examination of fossil teeth and fossilized human remains
> with electron microscopes and other sophisticated tools, Dr. Walker and his
> colleagues are absolutely certain that early humans until relatively
> recently, were total fruitarians."
>
> So I'm wondering why you won't say that you are a "fruitarian", when that
> section about Dr. Walker on your website says that humans are. (Well, it
> says that until relatively recently we *were* total fruitarians. That's
> dietarily speaking of course, meaning he believes we ate a total fruitarian
> diet until relatively recently. But biologically speaking we of course are
> still fruitarians, according to him.)
>
> So what's up with that, Pearl, why won't you admit that you're a fruitarian,
> like your website says you are?
>
> -erpt

<..>

erpt wrote:

> Hey Pearl, I'm wondering about something in the "Biological Adaptions"
> article on your website that I find confusing. In the section "Science
> Verifies That Humans Ancestors Were Frugivores", it states:
>
> "Dr. Alan Walker, an anthropologist of John Hopkins University in Maryland,
> has done research showing that early humans were once exclusively fruit
> eaters. By careful examination of fossil teeth and fossilized human remains
> with electron microscopes and other sophisticated tools, Dr. Walker and his
> colleagues are absolutely certain that early humans until relatively
> recently, were total fruitarians." .... and .... "A few thousand years of
> aberrant eating will not change our dietary requirements for optimum
> health."
>
> So Dr. Walker says humans "were once exclusively fruit eaters" and that
> "early humans until relatively recently, were total fruitarians." That
> would of course mean no meat in the human diet until relatively recently (a
> few thousand years ago, by the last statement above) according to him.
>
> HOWEVER, in the very next section "Scientists Confirm Our Biological
> Adaptations", it states:
>
> "For millions of years our ancestors evolved on diets of plants and very
> lean wild game" says S. Boyd Eaton, M.D. author of The Paleolithic
> Prescription, and adjunct associate professor of anthropology at Emery
> University in Atlanta."
>
> So what's up with that? One section of the article on your website says
> that our ancestors evolved for millions of years eating meat, and in the
> section right before that in the very same article it says early humans
> until relatively recently (a few thousand years ago) were total fruitarians,
> meaning of course no meat in our ancestor's diet over most of those same
> millions of years. I certainly believe the second (meat-eating) part to be
> much closer to the truth. But that article on your website sure can be
> confusing (or is it just me?)...

Lesley ("pearl") and her sloppily-culled web citations
are full of ****. The *CONSENSUS* among
anthropologists and biologists is that man always ate
meat, as did the predecessor hominid species.