Re: Is oily fish really healthy?

pearl wrote:

> From the Fruitarian Network:
>
> Dr Alan Walker and his associates, anthropologists at John Hopkins
> University, using the most modern electronic microscopic equipment,
> state: "Preliminary studies of fossil teeth have led to the startling
> suggestion that our early human ancestors (Australopithecus) were
> not predominantly meat-eaters or even eaters of seeds, shoots, leaves
> or grasses, nor were they omnivorous. Instead they appear to have
> subsisted chiefly on a diet of fruit. Every tooth examined from the
> hominids of the 12 million year period leading up to **** Erectus
> appeared to be that of a fruit-eater." NY Times, May 1979. '
>
>From a separate source of the above information:

The following information is taken from The New York Times, May 15,
1979. According to Dr. Alan Walker, a Johns Hopkins University
anthropologist, **** Erectus, the species immediately ancestorial to
our own **** Sapiens, had evidence of an omnivorous diet. Every
****-Erectus tooth found was that of an omnivore. However, a small
sample of teeth from the human-like species during a 12 million year
period leading up to the ****-Erectus period, indicates the earlier
species may have been a fruit eater. Even if this species, way before
our own, lived on a fruit diet, they probably would not have consumed
what we consider typical fruits. Hundreds of plants produce fruits that
are tougher, more substantial foods than what we eat today.

Note the differences between the fruitarian and alternate source:

Fruitarian: Every tooth examined from the hominids of the 12 million
year period leading up to **** Erectus appeared to be that of a
fruit-eater."

Alternate: However, a small sample of teeth from the human-like species
during a 12 million year period leading up to the ****-Erectus period,
indicates the earlier species may have been a fruit eater.

The fruitarian version makes it sound like every tooth examined up to
H.erectus was likely that of a fruit eater. The alternate source,
interestingly a vegetarian site, states that the sample of teeth
thought to be that of fruit eaters was small.

Link to alternate source: http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm

I would consider a fruitarian website to be propaganda at best. See
what a B-12, zinc and iron deficiency does to ones thought processes?
Are we really frugivores? My challenge is for anyone who subscribes to
that nonsense to drop their present diet and exist on a pure fruit diet
for the next 10 years. No grains or legumes! No cheating!

Fruitarians *have* to cheat though or else their health goes down the
pooper.

Rob

"Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> pearl wrote:
> >
> > From the Fruitarian Network:
> >
> > Dr Alan Walker and his associates, anthropologists at John Hopkins
> > University, using the most modern electronic microscopic equipment,
> > state: "Preliminary studies of fossil teeth have led to the startling
> > suggestion that our early human ancestors (Australopithecus) were
> > not predominantly meat-eaters or even eaters of seeds, shoots, leaves
> > or grasses, nor were they omnivorous. Instead they appear to have
> > subsisted chiefly on a diet of fruit. Every tooth examined from the
> > hominids of the 12 million year period leading up to **** Erectus
> > appeared to be that of a fruit-eater." NY Times, May 1979. '
> >
> >From a separate source of the above information:

> The following information is taken from The New York Times, May 15,
> 1979. According to Dr. Alan Walker, a Johns Hopkins University
> anthropologist, **** Erectus, the species immediately ancestorial to
> our own **** Sapiens, had evidence of an omnivorous diet. Every
> ****-Erectus tooth found was that of an omnivore. However, a small
> sample of teeth from the human-like species during a 12 million year
> period leading up to the ****-Erectus period, indicates the earlier
> species may have been a fruit eater. Even if this species, way before
> our own, lived on a fruit diet, they probably would not have consumed
> what we consider typical fruits. Hundreds of plants produce fruits that
> are tougher, more substantial foods than what we eat today.
>
> Note the differences between the fruitarian and alternate source:
>
> Fruitarian: Every tooth examined from the hominids of the 12 million
> year period leading up to **** Erectus appeared to be that of a
> fruit-eater."
>
> Alternate: However, a small sample of teeth from the human-like species
> during a 12 million year period leading up to the ****-Erectus period,
> indicates the earlier species may have been a fruit eater.
>
> The fruitarian version makes it sound like every tooth examined up to
> H.erectus was likely that of a fruit eater. The alternate source,
> interestingly a vegetarian site, states that the sample of teeth
> thought to be that of fruit eaters was small.

Every tooth from the small sample that was found.

> Link to alternate source: http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm

From that page:

'the best arguments in support of a meat-free diet remain ecological,
ethical, and health concerns. '

Health concerns? Why would an omnivore have health concerns?

> I would consider a fruitarian website to be propaganda at best. See
> what a B-12, zinc and iron deficiency does to ones thought processes?

That's propaganda. The fault lies with modern industrial farming.

'Mineral content: This may be the most important nutritional difference
between organic and regular produce since heavy use of fertilizer inhibits
absorbtion of some minerals, which are likely to be at lower levels to
begin with in soils that have been abused. This may be caused in part
by the lack of beneficial mycorrhizae fungi on the roots since high levels
of fertilizer tend to kill them. Standard diets tend to be low in various
minerals, resulting in a variety of problems including osteoporosis.
... '
http://math.ucsd.edu/~ebender/Health & Nutrition/Foods/organic.html

By the way.. your livestock are supplemented with cobalt and/or B12.

> Are we really frugivores? My challenge is for anyone who subscribes to
> that nonsense to drop their present diet and exist on a pure fruit diet
> for the next 10 years. No grains or legumes! No cheating!

Another one who doesn't understand what a frugivorous diet is.

See discussion with 'erpt'.

pearl wrote:
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > Having said that, I do not trust the article. For one thing, the dietary
> > recommendations made, especially the list of foods deemed disruptive
> > of human health is highly unorthodox and the rationale behind
> > the recommendations is not clearly developed. Secondly, based on
> > comparative anatomy our dietary needs are assumed to be similar
> > to those of the frugivorous apes who naturally select the right foods
> > while we have somehow lost the necessary instincts. Thirdly the
> > fact that we have been using cooking for generations is not taken
> > into account and our ability to chew and digest hard foods has
> > diminished. It is not inconceivable to me that one could thrive on
> > a raw food, vegan or lacto-vegetarian, frugivorous diet but one
> > would have to really know what they were doing in order to do so.

> All hashed out at great length in previous threads. Fistly, I see no reply
> to this: http://tinyurl.com/hc7uz . Secondly, when was the last time you
> seized an animal in your er.. teeth and killed it, ripping into it's flesh ..?

Several generations ago our ancestors developed a couple of biolocial
adaptions
that allowed them to catch and kill prey and harvest the flesh. These
were
the opposable thumb and the human brain. Sharp teeth and claws would
have
been superfluous.

> Thirdly, are you unable to chew raw fruits and veg'?

I have no problem chewing raw fruits, vegetables or nuts but my jaws
are too
week and feeble for dried grains and legumes unless they have been
cooked.

Go see a dentist.

pearl wrote:
> > Link to alternate source: http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm

> From that page:
>
> 'the best arguments in support of a meat-free diet remain ecological,
> ethical, and health concerns. '
>
> Health concerns? Why would an omnivore have health concerns?

I don't know, unless the omnivore was eating a SAD diet. A healthy
omnivorous diet such as the one I follow provides all that one needs.
Did I mention that was a vegetarian website?

> Another one who doesn't understand what a frugivorous diet is.

I think many fruitarians need to figure it out. Legumes and grains are
not part of a frugivorous diet yet many eat such foods. Whatever, even
a raw food vegan diet will take its toll on the health. Raw foodism,
veganism, fruitarianism, etc, is a religion. To argue with a follower
is like arguing with a religionist, trying to convince him/her that
their god doesn't exist. It is totally fruitless, pun intended. Check
out the beyonveg.com website for some good articles on fruitarianism.

Rob

"pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > "erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > --restore--

>> > --end restore--

>> > At the end of this little endeavour you try to imply that you
>> > had read the article (prior to yesterday morning, that is).
>> > If you had, you would have known what the definition is.

>> -----------------------------
>>

>> On your website there is the statement "...are we frugivores who can
>> thrive
>> on a diet of raw fresh bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, or melons meal
>> after meal", which implies a frugivorous diet is a strict fruit diet (as
>> some fruitarians follow). Your website also contains the wider botanical
>> definition of fruit (which some other fruitarians follow). Your website
>> also recommends foods that definitely fall outside of that common
>> botanical
>> definition of fruit (such as tubers and leafy green vegetables). So I
>> didn't (couldn't) know exactly where you stood on the matter until you
>> posted #2 - the botanical definition.

> So you hadn't read further than the first paragraph. Ok.
>
>> HOWEVER..... that's all moot now, because in your latest post you have
>> made
>> it clear that when you say humans are frugivores, you are using the much
>> wider definition that applies when describing (natural) animal diets, and
>> not the more strict definition humans use for their own fruitarian diets
>> (which I had wrongly assumed you were going by), which invariably fall
>> completely within the botanical definition. I have to say I'm very
>> surprised by your position on that, I really didn't think you'd want to
>> go
>> there, but we will (below)...

> Why are you surprised? You made reference to previous discussions
> in your very first post to this thread:
>
> '.. she has insisted numerous times in other discussions that humans
> are actually frugivores, and certainly animal products wouldn't be a
> natural part of our diet if that were true, and she certainly believes
> it's
> true. '
>
> From that it is clear that you knew perfectly well that I was referring
> to humans' natural diet and not the fruitarian diet you were on about.

------------------------------------

Not at all. Firstly, certain versions of the fruitarian diet I was
discussing could be considered (and are considered, by some of the
fruitarian-minded types), to be the early natural diet of humans. In
particular, the fruit only diet (no nuts, seeds, grains, legumes or
vegetables at all), and also the fruit, nut, and seed diet (no grains,
legumes or vegetables at all). Granted I did get into a dispute with you in
the area of "vegetable fruits" vs. other non-fruitarian vegetables, and that
lies outside of the natural diet area. But that was after you posted your
"fruit" definition, and I was still under the wrong assumption then that you
were using the strict "human" fruitarian definition which would allow
nothing outside of that definition you posted (such as the non-fruitarian
vegetables like tubers and leafy greens). If I had known then that you were
actually using the much wider natural animal diet definition of frugivore,
which allows for that, I certainly wouldn't have wasted any time with all of
that discussion, for sure....

Secondly, look what I stated in that quote above - that "certainly animal
products wouldn't be a natural part of our diet" if humans actually fit the
(vegetarian) definition of frugivores I believed you were using. But the
natural animal diet based frugivore definition you actually were using
*does* allow some animal based products, as long as the diet is still mostly
fruit. So the definitions we were using obviously were different.

And finally, just for clarification, when I said "she has insisted numerous
times in other discussions that humans are actually frugivores", what I was
referring to in particular were simply recollections I have of someone or
another stating that humans are omnivores, and you replying that no, they
are frugivores, or else the other way around. Since you don't particularly
believe humans are physically equipped for hunting / meat eating, I
(mistakenly) assumed that you must be using some kind of vegetarian
definition of frugivore. I therefore thought it must be a "human"
fruitarian definition, all of which are vegetarian. But you actually
weren't, it turns out, you were using the natural animal diet based
definition which can contain some meat, which I had thought you wouldn't
use.

>> > You should have done your homework before launching a
>> > crusade against me. You've only made a fool of yourself.

>> ------------------
>>
>> I'm touched by your concern for my public image.......

> No skin off my nose. It is you who should be concerned.

-----------------------------------

And here I thought you genuinely cared...... woe is me....

>> (BTW, I have books on Natural Hygiene by Herbert Shelton so I am already
>> familiar with writings along the lines of the article on your website.)

> Give the lad a plum.

----------------------------

Thanks! A reward 'cause I had actually done some homework after all (long
ago, though).

>> > Right.

>> > I am eating a *frugivorous* diet. Frugivores eat primarily fruits.

>> -------------------------
>>
>> There we go! Now you have shown that you are using the definition of
>> frugivore as it applies to natural animal diets. That's fine..... now
>> that
>> that's established I'll agree 100% with you that (by that definition)
>> frugivores eat *primarily* fruits, and so could eat vegetable matter that
>> falls outside of the botanical definition of "fruit", and still be
>> considered "frugivores". We'll carry on.....

> But you knew from the beginning that that is what I meant.

-------------------------------

Again, not at all (see above explanation).

--------------------------

Again, not at all (see above explanation).

>> As I'm sure you know, the frugivorous
>> chimpanzees generally do eat a small amount of meat in their diets.

> No, actually, I don't know that.
>
>> So when
>> you say humans are "frugivores", that means people can also include some
>> meat in their diet and be in full compliance with your definition, as
>> long
>> as the diet is still "mostly fruit".
>>
>> In fact, lets say someone eats a diet that consists of 60% fruits by the
>> botanical definition (including breads/grain and legume products, nuts,
>> seeds, and the "vegetable fruits"), as well as 20% vegetables that are
>> not
>> botanical fruits (tubers, leafy greens, etc.), 10% milk/dairy products
>> and
>> eggs, and 10% meat. By your accepted definition, that would be a
>> frugivorous diet.

> No, it would not. A frugivorous diet in favorable conditions
> would be more in line with the following percentages given:
>
> 'Kano and Mulavwa provided the most detailed account of
> the feeding behaviour of Wamba bonobos based on a
> 4-month study. Tuttle reports that their diet was 80% fruit
> pulp, 15% fibrous foods and 5% seeds, and that "Animal
> foods constituted a minute part of their fare" (p.95). '
> http://tinyurl.com/d8aqw

-----------------------------

Hmmm..... Let's take another look at that definition that you posted
earlier:

fru·gi·vore
"An animal, such as a chimpanzee or fruit bat, that feeds primarily on
fruit."
http://www.bartleby.com/61/40/F0344000.html

The definition says the animal feeds "primarily" on fruit, so I think that
simply means more fruit than other foods in the diet. I don't see any
maximum percentages specified for any particular food in your definition,
the only thing is that there must be more fruit than other foods. So I
don't agree with you that the diet I specified above with 10% meat would not
be frugivorous (by definition), since it also contains 60% fruit, more fruit
than anything else. That means it is primarily fruit, and therefore fits
your definition. In fact it could even have 40% meat and 60% fruit, and
still fit the definition. You'll have to explain to me exactly how that
doesn't fit your definition, I just can't see why, with no maximum
percentages for any particular food types specified.

You asked earlier in your post why I was surprised to find out that you were
using the natural animal diet definition for frugivore. Above is exactly
why. Unlike the more strict vegetarian ("human") fruitarian definition I
thought you were using, the natural animal diet frugivore definition you
were actually using can, by definition, contain quite a lot of meat (as far
as I can tell). And since you don't particularly believe humans are
physically equipped for hunting / meat eating, I was surprised to learn that
that definition was the one you had actually been using quite a lot on this
NG.

>> Well how about that! Who knows, there may even be meat
>> eaters on this NG who follow a diet similar to the one above, who insist
>> that humans are omnivores, and who you do battle with here insisting
>> that
>> humans are frugivores. Such a meat eater's diet would actually be in
>> full
>> compliance with the definition of frugivorous diet that you accept, meat
>> and
>> all. Amazing!

> If animal matter constitutes a minute part of their fare.

---------------------

Again, I don't see anywhere in the definition of frugivore you supplied that
states that animal matter must constitute "a minute part of their fare".
The only stipulation I see is that the diet must be primarily fruit. No
particular maximum amount is specified for any kind of food. Please explain
why animal matter must constitute a "minute part of their fare" to fit the
definition of frugivore you supplied.

>However:
> '.. disease rates were significantly associated within a range
> of dietary plant food composition that suggested an absence
> of a disease prevention threshold. That is, the closer a diet
> is to an all-plant foods diet, the greater will be the reduction
> in the rates of these diseases.'
> http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Nov98/thermogenesis_paper.html

---------------------------

I certainly agree that a lot of plant food in the diet is a good thing for
health. My own diet is loaded with fresh fruits, vegetables and whole
grains, and I love it! My Natural Hygiene books, and books by Paul Bragg
got me started on that back in the 1980s.

>> I apologize for earlier assuming that you were going by the more strict
>> definition that humans use for their fruitarian diets (which allows NO
>> meat-that's why I assumed that), rather than the frugivorous definition
>> that
>> applies to natural animal diets like that of the chimps, which does allow
>> meat in the diet, as long as the diet is still "mostly fruit". And I
>> apologize for earlier saying that you don't follow a frugivorous diet.
>> Now
>> that I know that you follow the much wider "animal" frugivorous diet
>> definition, I'll correct my record and state that you do follow it (as do
>> many others who may also eat meat, for sure).

> If no more than 2% of their diet as per your source below.

-----------------------

Please show where in the definition of frugivore you supplied it states that
the amount of meat in the animal's diet must be no more than 2%. If a chimp
happened to eat 3% meat one particular year, would it not be a frugivore
that year? Why?

>> I'm glad we've got that resolved! Friends now?
>>
>> Sincerely,

> Suuure.

--------------------------

What, you doubt my sincerity?? :-(

-erpt

=========================

> [...]

> between organic and regular produce since heavy use of fertilizer inhibits
> absorbtion of some minerals, which are likely to be at lower levels to
> begin with in soils that have been abused. This may be caused in part
> by the lack of beneficial mycorrhizae fungi on the roots since high levels
> of fertilizer tend to kill them. Standard diets tend to be low in various
> minerals, resulting in a variety of problems including osteoporosis.
> .. '
> http://math.ucsd.edu/~ebender/Health & Nutrition/Foods/organic.html
>
> By the way.. your livestock are supplemented with cobalt and/or B12.
>
>> Are we really frugivores? My challenge is for anyone who subscribes to
>> that nonsense to drop their present diet and exist on a pure fruit diet
>> for the next 10 years. No grains or legumes! No cheating!

> Another one who doesn't understand what a frugivorous diet is.

------------------------------

Well, I can't speak for Rob, but I can assure you that I've known what a
frugivorous diet is for many years (as it applies to animals, that is). For
example I've long known that chimpanzees eat mostly fruit (somewhere around
67% of their diet, if I recall correctly), yet they still may eat other
stuff like bugs, some meat, bark, and other plant matter that isn't fruit,
but they are still classified as frugivorous.

Like I was saying elsewhere though, Pearl, when you state here that humans
are frugivores it's very easy to mistakenly assume that you are not using
that natural animal diet definition, which can include some meat and other
non-fruit foods as long as the diet is primarily fruit, but instead some
kind of vegetarian "human" fruitarian definition, since you don't
particularly believe that humans are physically equipped for hunting / meat
eating. There are fruitarian-minded people who believe early humans evolved
on fruit alone, or fruits, nuts and seeds, and it can be easy to wrongly
assume that may be your position also, if the reader doesn't know better.

May I make the suggestion that, for clarity, whenever you do state that
humans are frugivores you also provide the (natural animal diet) definition
you did a little while ago in response to my other post:

fru·gi·vore
"An animal, such as a chimpanzee or fruit bat, that feeds primarily on
fruit." http://www.bartleby.com/61/40/F0344000.html

You may of course have to deal with the issue that by strict definition the
above diet could have quite a bit of meat in it, as long as it still remains
"primarily fruit", but at least people will know the definition you are
going by right from the start and they won't possibly go down the vegetarian
"human" fruitarian definition road with you like I unfortunately did a while
ago.....

-erpt

"erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

<..>
> >> Are we really frugivores? My challenge is for anyone who subscribes to
> >> that nonsense to drop their present diet and exist on a pure fruit diet
> >> for the next 10 years. No grains or legumes! No cheating!

> > Another one who doesn't understand what a frugivorous diet is.
> >
> > See discussion with 'erpt'.

> ------------------------------
>

> Well, I can't speak for Rob, but I can assure you that I've known what a
> frugivorous diet is for many years (as it applies to animals, that is). For
> example I've long known that chimpanzees eat mostly fruit (somewhere around
> 67% of their diet, if I recall correctly), yet they still may eat other
> stuff like bugs, some meat, bark, and other plant matter that isn't fruit,
> but they are still classified as frugivorous.
>
> Like I was saying elsewhere though, Pearl, when you state here that humans
> are frugivores it's very easy to mistakenly assume that you are not using
> that natural animal diet definition, which can include some meat and other
> non-fruit foods as long as the diet is primarily fruit, but instead some
> kind of vegetarian "human" fruitarian definition, since you don't
> particularly believe that humans are physically equipped for hunting / meat
> eating. There are fruitarian-minded people who believe early humans evolved
> on fruit alone, or fruits, nuts and seeds, and it can be easy to wrongly
> assume that may be your position also, if the reader doesn't know better.
>
> May I make the suggestion that, for clarity, whenever you do state that
> humans are frugivores you also provide the (natural animal diet) definition
> you did a little while ago in response to my other post:
>
> fru·gi·vore
> "An animal, such as a chimpanzee or fruit bat, that feeds primarily on
> fruit." http://www.bartleby.com/61/40/F0344000.html
>
> You may of course have to deal with the issue that by strict definition the
> above diet could have quite a bit of meat in it, as long as it still remains
> "primarily fruit", but at least people will know the definition you are
> going by right from the start and they won't possibly go down the vegetarian
> "human" fruitarian definition road with you like I unfortunately did a while
> ago.....
>
> -erpt

".. could have quite a bit of meat in it"? Addressed elsewhere.

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> pearl wrote:
> > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > Having said that, I do not trust the article. For one thing, the dietary
> > > recommendations made, especially the list of foods deemed disruptive
> > > of human health is highly unorthodox and the rationale behind
> > > the recommendations is not clearly developed. Secondly, based on
> > > comparative anatomy our dietary needs are assumed to be similar
> > > to those of the frugivorous apes who naturally select the right foods
> > > while we have somehow lost the necessary instincts. Thirdly the
> > > fact that we have been using cooking for generations is not taken
> > > into account and our ability to chew and digest hard foods has
> > > diminished. It is not inconceivable to me that one could thrive on
> > > a raw food, vegan or lacto-vegetarian, frugivorous diet but one
> > > would have to really know what they were doing in order to do so.

> > All hashed out at great length in previous threads. Firstly, I see no reply
> > to this: http://tinyurl.com/hc7uz . Secondly, when was the last time you
> > seized an animal in your er.. teeth and killed it, ripping into its flesh ..?

> Several generations ago our ancestors developed a couple of biolocial
> adaptions
> that allowed them to catch and kill prey and harvest the flesh. These
> were
> the opposable thumb and the human brain. Sharp teeth and claws would
> have
> been superfluous.

Evasion noted, and you're reeeeaally reaching there, Dave.

'Fossil Implies Our Early Kin Lived in Trees, Study Says
for National Geographic News
November 21, 2002

The discovery of a fossil skeleton of a 56-million-year-old tiny
mammal indicates that our early ancestors were tree-living fruit
eaters, and is helping scientists to understand the early evolution
of primates.
The characteristics that separate primates from other mammals
are a large brain; the ability to grasp, which requires opposable
thumbs and big toes; the ability to leap; eyes in the front of the
face rather than on the side; and nails instead of claws.
The Carpolestes, which weighed about 4 ounces (100 grams),
had a long tail, and a body about 14 inches (35 centimeters) long,
shared some, but not all of the characteristics of modern primates,
and thus can be viewed as a transitional animal. It had very
primate like teeth that were highly specialized for eating flowers,
seeds, and fruit. The opposable big toe gave it a grasping ability
that indicates it spent most of its time climbing trees.

Carpolestes also had a nail on its big toe, but its eyes were not
forward facing, and it did not have the bone structure that would
allow for specialized leaping, like some of the earliest primates.

Bloch and his co-author Doug Boyer conclude that Carpolestes
spent most of its time clinging to tree branches and eating fruit,
rather than spotting prey or leaping for its dinner. Boyer has been
working with Bloch under a National Science Foundation grant
to study plesiadapi form skeletons from Wyoming and the origin
of primates.

The authors speculate that as the diversity of fruits, flowers, leaf
buds, and nectar increased in the Paleocene, 65 to 55 million
years ago, Carpolestes took to the trees to exploit a new food
source and to avoid competition with early rodents.
... .'
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1121_021121_PrimateOrigins.html

> > Thirdly, are you unable to chew raw fruits and veg'?

> I have no problem chewing raw fruits, vegetables or nuts but my jaws
> are too
> week and feeble for dried grains and legumes unless they have been
> cooked.

And sprouted?

"erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...

<..>
> >> HOWEVER..... that's all moot now, because in your latest post you have
> >> made
> >> it clear that when you say humans are frugivores, you are using the much
> >> wider definition that applies when describing (natural) animal diets, and
> >> not the more strict definition humans use for their own fruitarian diets
> >> (which I had wrongly assumed you were going by), which invariably fall
> >> completely within the botanical definition. I have to say I'm very
> >> surprised by your position on that, I really didn't think you'd want to
> >> go there, but we will (below)...

> > Why are you surprised? You made reference to previous discussions
> > in your very first post to this thread:
> >
> > '.. she has insisted numerous times in other discussions that humans
> > are actually frugivores, and certainly animal products wouldn't be a
> > natural part of our diet if that were true, and she certainly believes
> > it's
> > true. '
> >
> > From that it is clear that you knew perfectly well that I was referring
> > to humans' natural diet and not the fruitarian diet you were on about.

> ------------------------------------
>

> Not at all. Firstly, certain versions of the fruitarian diet I was
> discussing could be considered (and are considered, by some of the
> fruitarian-minded types), to be the early natural diet of humans. In
> particular, the fruit only diet (no nuts, seeds, grains, legumes or
> vegetables at all), and also the fruit, nut, and seed diet (no grains,
> legumes or vegetables at all). Granted I did get into a dispute with you in
> the area of "vegetable fruits" vs. other non-fruitarian vegetables, and that
> lies outside of the natural diet area.

Too bad you didn't read the webpage first, huh.

> But that was after you posted your
> "fruit" definition, and I was still under the wrong assumption then that you
> were using the strict "human" fruitarian definition which would allow
> nothing outside of that definition you posted (such as the non-fruitarian
> vegetables like tubers and leafy greens). If I had known then that you were
> actually using the much wider natural animal diet definition of frugivore,
> which allows for that, I certainly wouldn't have wasted any time with all of
> that discussion, for sure....

All in all not a waste of time.

> Secondly, look what I stated in that quote above - that "certainly animal
> products wouldn't be a natural part of our diet" if humans actually fit the
> (vegetarian) definition of frugivores I believed you were using.

The occasional insect-infested fruit? I'll pass, thank you.

> But the natural animal diet based frugivore definition you actually were using
> *does* allow some animal based products, as long as the diet is still mostly
> fruit. So the definitions we were using obviously were different.

The definition is very general. We look into it further below.

> And finally, just for clarification, when I said "she has insisted numerous
> times in other discussions that humans are actually frugivores", what I was
> referring to in particular were simply recollections I have of someone or
> another stating that humans are omnivores, and you replying that no, they
> are frugivores, or else the other way around.

I wouldn't just state that with no explanation, or at least a link.

> Since you don't particularly
> believe humans are physically equipped for hunting / meat eating, I
> (mistakenly) assumed that you must be using some kind of vegetarian
> definition of frugivore. I therefore thought it must be a "human"
> fruitarian definition, all of which are vegetarian. But you actually
> weren't, it turns out, you were using the natural animal diet based
> definition which can contain some meat, which I had thought you wouldn't
> use.

Normally only if conditions make it necessary. Addressed below.

> >> ------------------
> >>
> >> I'm touched by your concern for my public image.......

> > No skin off my nose. It is you who should be concerned.

> -----------------------------------
>

> And here I thought you genuinely cared...... woe is me....

Why should I care about someone who's tried to discredit me?

What goes around, comes around.

> >> (BTW, I have books on Natural Hygiene by Herbert Shelton so I am already
> >> familiar with writings along the lines of the article on your website.)

> > Give the lad a plum.

> ----------------------------
>
> Thanks! A reward 'cause I had actually done some homework after all (long
> ago, though).

What a good boy!

<..>
> >> As I'm sure you know, the frugivorous
> >> chimpanzees generally do eat a small amount of meat in their diets.

> > No, actually, I don't know that.
> >
> >> So when
> >> you say humans are "frugivores", that means people can also include some
> >> meat in their diet and be in full compliance with your definition, as long
> >> as the diet is still "mostly fruit".
> >>
> >> In fact, lets say someone eats a diet that consists of 60% fruits by the
> >> botanical definition (including breads/grain and legume products, nuts,
> >> seeds, and the "vegetable fruits"), as well as 20% vegetables that are not
> >> botanical fruits (tubers, leafy greens, etc.), 10% milk/dairy products and
> >> eggs, and 10% meat. By your accepted definition, that would be a
> >> frugivorous diet.

> > No, it would not. A frugivorous diet in favorable conditions
> > would be more in line with the following percentages given:
> >
> > 'Kano and Mulavwa provided the most detailed account of
> > the feeding behaviour of Wamba bonobos based on a
> > 4-month study. Tuttle reports that their diet was 80% fruit
> > pulp, 15% fibrous foods and 5% seeds, and that "Animal
> > foods constituted a minute part of their fare" (p.95). '
> > http://tinyurl.com/d8aqw

> -----------------------------
>
> Hmmm..... Let's take another look at that definition that you posted
> earlier:
>
> fru·gi·vore
> "An animal, such as a chimpanzee or fruit bat, that feeds primarily on fruit."
> http://www.bartleby.com/61/40/F0344000.html
>
> The definition says the animal feeds "primarily" on fruit, so I think that
> simply means more fruit than other foods in the diet. I don't see any
> maximum percentages specified for any particular food in your definition,
> the only thing is that there must be more fruit than other foods. So I
> don't agree with you that the diet I specified above with 10% meat would not
> be frugivorous (by definition), since it also contains 60% fruit, more fruit
> than anything else. That means it is primarily fruit, and therefore fits
> your definition. In fact it could even have 40% meat and 60% fruit, and
> still fit the definition. You'll have to explain to me exactly how that
> doesn't fit your definition, I just can't see why, with no maximum
> percentages for any particular food types specified.

"Oh what tangled webs we weave when first we practice to deceive."

Your source states that the frugivores studied ate no more than
2% animal matter, and that was in a limited environment. Other
studies have found their intake of animal matter to be minimal.

A species naturally including 10% meat in the diet would be
considered omnivorous, and have carnivorous adaptations.

> You asked earlier in your post why I was surprised to find out that you were
> using the natural animal diet definition for frugivore. Above is exactly
> why. Unlike the more strict vegetarian ("human") fruitarian definition I
> thought you were using, the natural animal diet frugivore definition you
> were actually using can, by definition, contain quite a lot of meat (as far
> as I can tell). And since you don't particularly believe humans are
> physically equipped for hunting / meat eating, I was surprised to learn that
> that definition was the one you had actually been using quite a lot on this
> NG.

See above.

> >> Well how about that! Who knows, there may even be meat
> >> eaters on this NG who follow a diet similar to the one above, who insist
> >> that humans are omnivores, and who you do battle with here insisting that
> >> humans are frugivores. Such a meat eater's diet would actually be in full
> >> compliance with the definition of frugivorous diet that you accept, meat
> >> and all. Amazing!

> > If animal matter constitutes a minute part of their fare.

> ---------------------
>

> Again, I don't see anywhere in the definition of frugivore you supplied that
> states that animal matter must constitute "a minute part of their fare".
> The only stipulation I see is that the diet must be primarily fruit. No
> particular maximum amount is specified for any kind of food. Please explain
> why animal matter must constitute a "minute part of their fare" to fit the
> definition of frugivore you supplied.

The definition is very general. More detail has now been given.

> >However:
> > '.. disease rates were significantly associated within a range
> > of dietary plant food composition that suggested an absence
> > of a disease prevention threshold. That is, the closer a diet
> > is to an all-plant foods diet, the greater will be the reduction
> > in the rates of these diseases.'
> > http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Nov98/thermogenesis_paper.html

> ---------------------------
>
> I certainly agree that a lot of plant food in the diet is a good thing for
> health. My own diet is loaded with fresh fruits, vegetables and whole
> grains, and I love it! My Natural Hygiene books, and books by Paul Bragg
> got me started on that back in the 1980s.

So much for our being 'omnivores'.

> >> I apologize for earlier assuming that you were going by the more strict
> >> definition that humans use for their fruitarian diets (which allows NO
> >> meat-that's why I assumed that), rather than the frugivorous definition
> >> that
> >> applies to natural animal diets like that of the chimps, which does allow
> >> meat in the diet, as long as the diet is still "mostly fruit". And I
> >> apologize for earlier saying that you don't follow a frugivorous diet.
> >> Now
> >> that I know that you follow the much wider "animal" frugivorous diet
> >> definition, I'll correct my record and state that you do follow it (as do
> >> many others who may also eat meat, for sure).

> > If no more than 2% of their diet as per your source below.

> -----------------------
>

> Please show where in the definition of frugivore you supplied it states that
> the amount of meat in the animal's diet must be no more than 2%. If a chimp
> happened to eat 3% meat one particular year, would it not be a frugivore
> that year? Why?

That is what was found (in a limited habitat).

> >> I'm glad we've got that resolved! Friends now?
> >>
> >> Sincerely,

> > Suuure.

> --------------------------
>

> What, you doubt my sincerity?? :-(

You make it impossible not to.

> [...]

>> not
>> be frugivorous (by definition), since it also contains 60% fruit, more
>> fruit
>> than anything else. That means it is primarily fruit, and therefore fits
>> your definition. In fact it could even have 40% meat and 60% fruit, and
>> still fit the definition. You'll have to explain to me exactly how that
>> doesn't fit your definition, I just can't see why, with no maximum
>> percentages for any particular food types specified.

> "Oh what tangled webs we weave when first we practice to deceive."
>
> Your source states that the frugivores studied ate no more than
> 2% animal matter, and that was in a limited environment. Other
> studies have found their intake of animal matter to be minimal.
>
> A species naturally including 10% meat in the diet would be
> considered omnivorous, and have carnivorous adaptations.

Pearl.......... (now that what you stated above has sunk in)..... I concede
that you are absolutely right. And, I have been absolutely wrong through
this whole discussion. You are and have been consistent in your position.
I didn't see that, and I was wrong to (for lack of a better word) "attack"
you, I apologize for that, and I take back everything I said from the very
first post.

Furthermore, regarding your statement above - "Oh what tangled webs we weave
when first we practice to deceive." - You are giving me credit for being
smarter about this than I am with that statement. I wasn't attempting to
deceive, I really thought I was right, but I wasn't. I was ignorant
(dumb?). But I certainly did learn something, and I thank you for that.

All that being said, I still do disagree with you when you say that humans
are frugivores - I believe we're omnivores. I have been down the vegan
(whole foods) diet road a number of times, I can do OK on that diet for many
months but it eventually catches up with me and my body chemistry tells me I
need some animal products. I wish it weren't that way but is is. So now I
stick to a lacto-vegetarian diet. (And the frugivorous approx. 2% "animal
matter" limit wouldn't be enough for me to feel in balance). See below for
more...

>> You asked earlier in your post why I was surprised to find out that you
>> were
>> using the natural animal diet definition for frugivore. Above is exactly
>> why. Unlike the more strict vegetarian ("human") fruitarian definition I
>> thought you were using, the natural animal diet frugivore definition you
>> were actually using can, by definition, contain quite a lot of meat (as
>> far
>> as I can tell). And since you don't particularly believe humans are
>> physically equipped for hunting / meat eating, I was surprised to learn
>> that
>> that definition was the one you had actually been using quite a lot on
>> this
>> NG.

> See above.

>> > If animal matter constitutes a minute part of their fare.

>> ---------------------
>>

>> Again, I don't see anywhere in the definition of frugivore you supplied
>> that
>> states that animal matter must constitute "a minute part of their fare".
>> The only stipulation I see is that the diet must be primarily fruit. No
>> particular maximum amount is specified for any kind of food. Please
>> explain
>> why animal matter must constitute a "minute part of their fare" to fit
>> the
>> definition of frugivore you supplied.

> The definition is very general. More detail has now been given.
>
>> >However:
>> > '.. disease rates were significantly associated within a range
>> > of dietary plant food composition that suggested an absence
>> > of a disease prevention threshold. That is, the closer a diet
>> > is to an all-plant foods diet, the greater will be the reduction
>> > in the rates of these diseases.'
>> > http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Nov98/thermogenesis_paper.html

>> ---------------------------
>>
>> I certainly agree that a lot of plant food in the diet is a good thing
>> for
>> health. My own diet is loaded with fresh fruits, vegetables and whole
>> grains, and I love it! My Natural Hygiene books, and books by Paul Bragg
>> got me started on that back in the 1980s.

> So much for our being 'omnivores'.

-------------------------------

Well, Paul Bragg was basically a "whole foods" type of person - he taught no
refined/processed/junk foods, and lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. He
didn't rule out animal products though, and was a mixed eater himself, and
sometimes ate meat / animal products. I know that Natural Hygiene is
basically (whole foods) vegan, and doesn't recommend dairy, but doesn't
totally rule it out either. I read a while ago that Herbert Shelton himself
was actually a lacto-vegetarian.

Yes I have lots of fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grains in my diet, plus
probably about 20% dairy. So that's omnivore, not frugivore territory (new
knowledge at work here).

Anyway, I've eaten enough crow for 1 day....

-erpt

> [...]

>> you did a little while ago in response to my other post:
>>
>> fru·gi·vore
>> "An animal, such as a chimpanzee or fruit bat, that feeds primarily on
>> fruit." http://www.bartleby.com/61/40/F0344000.html
>>
>> You may of course have to deal with the issue that by strict definition
>> the
>> above diet could have quite a bit of meat in it, as long as it still
>> remains
>> "primarily fruit", but at least people will know the definition you are
>> going by right from the start and they won't possibly go down the
>> vegetarian
>> "human" fruitarian definition road with you like I unfortunately did a
>> while
>> ago.....
>>
>> -erpt

> ".. could have quite a bit of meat in it"? Addressed elsewhere.

Yes, and I take back my above post - I was wrong....

-erpt

pearl wrote:
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > pearl wrote:

> > > All hashed out at great length in previous threads. Firstly, I see no reply
> > > to this: http://tinyurl.com/hc7uz . Secondly, when was the last time you
> > > seized an animal in your er.. teeth and killed it, ripping into its flesh ..?

> > Several generations ago our ancestors developed a couple of biolocial
> > adaptions
> > that allowed them to catch and kill prey and harvest the flesh. These
> > were
> > the opposable thumb and the human brain. Sharp teeth and claws would
> > have
> > been superfluous.

> Evasion noted, and you're reeeeaally reaching there, Dave.
>
> 'Fossil Implies Our Early Kin Lived in Trees, Study Says
> for National Geographic News
> November 21, 2002
>
> The discovery of a fossil skeleton of a 56-million-year-old tiny
> mammal indicates that our early ancestors were tree-living fruit
> eaters, and is helping scientists to understand the early evolution
> of primates.
> ..
> The characteristics that separate primates from other mammals
> are a large brain; the ability to grasp, which requires opposable
> thumbs and big toes; the ability to leap; eyes in the front of the
> face rather than on the side; and nails instead of claws.
> The Carpolestes, which weighed about 4 ounces (100 grams),
> had a long tail, and a body about 14 inches (35 centimeters) long,
> shared some, but not all of the characteristics of modern primates,
> and thus can be viewed as a transitional animal. It had very
> primate like teeth that were highly specialized for eating flowers,
> seeds, and fruit. The opposable big toe gave it a grasping ability
> that indicates it spent most of its time climbing trees.
>
> Carpolestes also had a nail on its big toe, but its eyes were not
> forward facing, and it did not have the bone structure that would
> allow for specialized leaping, like some of the earliest primates.
>
> Bloch and his co-author Doug Boyer conclude that Carpolestes
> spent most of its time clinging to tree branches and eating fruit,
> rather than spotting prey or leaping for its dinner. Boyer has been
> working with Bloch under a National Science Foundation grant
> to study plesiadapi form skeletons from Wyoming and the origin
> of primates.
>
> The authors speculate that as the diversity of fruits, flowers, leaf
> buds, and nectar increased in the Paleocene, 65 to 55 million
> years ago, Carpolestes took to the trees to exploit a new food
> source and to avoid competition with early rodents.
> .. .'
> http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1121_021121_PrimateOrigins.html

So maybe the opposable thumb originally served the purposes
of an arboreal fruit eating existence but at some point they also
proved effective for the purpose of using tools for hunting and
fishing.

> > > Thirdly, are you unable to chew raw fruits and veg'?

> > I have no problem chewing raw fruits, vegetables or nuts but my jaws
> > are too
> > week and feeble for dried grains and legumes unless they have been
> > cooked.

> And sprouted?

No problem with sprouts. Do wild animals eat them?

> [...]

>> buds, and nectar increased in the Paleocene, 65 to 55 million
>> years ago, Carpolestes took to the trees to exploit a new food
>> source and to avoid competition with early rodents.
>> .. .'
>> http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1121_021121_PrimateOrigins.html

> So maybe the opposable thumb originally served the purposes
> of an arboreal fruit eating existence but at some point they also
> proved effective for the purpose of using tools for hunting and
> fishing.

>> > I have no problem chewing raw fruits, vegetables or nuts but my jaws
>> > are too
>> > week and feeble for dried grains and legumes unless they have been
>> > cooked.

>> And sprouted?

> No problem with sprouts. Do wild animals eat them?

Yes, they fall off the plants, sprout, and animals eat them.

Rob wrote:

>>>Whatever, even a raw food vegan diet will take its toll on the health.

Not if it's done properly. As long as they elminate that magical
thinking that all they need to do is eat raw and mind their macro-
and micronutrient intakes they should have some advantages, most
notably better antioxidant status and reduced exposure to advanced
glycation end products.

> Great variety in plant foods doesn't mean one has to drop all animal
> foods from ones diet. Its a veggie myth that one must toss out all
> animal foods to eat healthily. The amount of dropouts from such a
> diet speaks volumes for its healthfulness for our species.

I don't think that there is anything magical regarding health
when one drops animal foods from the diet. When a diet is defined
by what it omits rather than what it includes, there may be increased
risk for deficiencies. I don't think the point is whether or not
a zero animal diet is healthier than a 10-15% animal diet. The points
are

1. It's viable, and can be as healthy or healthier, depending on
choices.

2. It's better for the planet, assuming that processed foods are
eliminated, cooking/processing is minimal, and transport distance
is short.

3. It's less cruel. It makes no sense to give a birthday party for
one's dog while eating a pig that lived in an enclosure so small
that it could not even turn around.

> Raw food vegans are scrawny, in some cases emaciated, pasty-faced
> weaklings. If our ancestors ever followed such a diet we would be
> extinct

You don't have to associate yourself with some kooky fringe
group to reap the benefits of a mostly raw diet. The raw foodists
are probably right, but not for the reasons they state. The plant
foods that are edible in the raw state tend to be very rich in
nutrients and phytochemicals. It is important however, to delve
more deeply than whether a food is cooked or not.

> Many vegetables are actually healthier cooked than raw.

This is probably not true in every case. After having read many
of the cooked v. raw studies, I think the bioavailability problems
are mostly related to breaking down the fibrous matrix so that
the nutrients become more available. This can be achieve by putting
a raw food through the food processor rather than cooking. In this
way, micronutient and phytochemical availability should be maximized
while any disadvantages due to cooking will be avoided.

> I'm sure you already know that certain natural toxins are destroyed by
> the cooking.

So you avoid those foods that are toxic in the raw state.

>>>Raw foodism,
>>>veganism, fruitarianism, etc, is a religion.

Skip the nutjob parts and concentrate on the science and you will be
the winner. I don't think it's necessary from the health standpoint
to be 100% raw or 100% vegan. But being mostly raw and mostly vegan
is probably a very good idea for an educated, intelligent person who is
willing to do some homework. And of course being 100% vegan is the
minimal cruelty option, which is very important to those who
are more aware of what has to happen for the food to get to the
plate and also care. Many who claim that they do not care probably
would if they gave it more thought and attention.

"erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

<..>

> >> -----------------------------
> >>
> >> Hmmm..... Let's take another look at that definition that you posted
> >> earlier:
> >>
> >> fru·gi·vore
> >> "An animal, such as a chimpanzee or fruit bat, that feeds primarily on
> >> fruit."
> >> http://www.bartleby.com/61/40/F0344000.html
> >>
> >> The definition says the animal feeds "primarily" on fruit, so I think that
> >> simply means more fruit than other foods in the diet. I don't see any
> >> maximum percentages specified for any particular food in your definition,
> >> the only thing is that there must be more fruit than other foods. So I
> >> don't agree with you that the diet I specified above with 10% meat would
> >> not be frugivorous (by definition), since it also contains 60% fruit, more
> >> fruit than anything else. That means it is primarily fruit, and therefore fits
> >> your definition. In fact it could even have 40% meat and 60% fruit, and
> >> still fit the definition. You'll have to explain to me exactly how that
> >> doesn't fit your definition, I just can't see why, with no maximum
> >> percentages for any particular food types specified.

> > "Oh what tangled webs we weave when first we practice to deceive."
> >
> > Your source states that the frugivores studied ate no more than
> > 2% animal matter, and that was in a limited environment. Other
> > studies have found their intake of animal matter to be minimal.
> >
> > A species naturally including 10% meat in the diet would be
> > considered omnivorous, and have carnivorous adaptations.

> -----------------------------------
>

> Pearl.......... (now that what you stated above has sunk in)..... I concede
> that you are absolutely right. And, I have been absolutely wrong through
> this whole discussion. You are and have been consistent in your position.
> I didn't see that, and I was wrong to (for lack of a better word) "attack"
> you, I apologize for that, and I take back everything I said from the very
> first post.

Thank you.

> Furthermore, regarding your statement above - "Oh what tangled webs we weave
> when first we practice to deceive." - You are giving me credit for being
> smarter about this than I am with that statement. I wasn't attempting to
> deceive, I really thought I was right, but I wasn't. I was ignorant
> (dumb?). But I certainly did learn something, and I thank you for that.

You're welcome, and your honesty is refreshing.

> All that being said, I still do disagree with you when you say that humans
> are frugivores - I believe we're omnivores. I have been down the vegan
> (whole foods) diet road a number of times, I can do OK on that diet for many
> months but it eventually catches up with me and my body chemistry tells me I
> need some animal products. I wish it weren't that way but is is. So now I
> stick to a lacto-vegetarian diet. (And the frugivorous approx. 2% "animal
> matter" limit wouldn't be enough for me to feel in balance). See below for
> more...

I disagree with your belief that humans are omnivores, as you know,
and for a multitude of valid reasons. You were excluding foods you
should not have been in the past, according to your previous posts.

See; http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/ .

<..>
> >> ---------------------------
> >>
> >> I certainly agree that a lot of plant food in the diet is a good thing for
> >> health. My own diet is loaded with fresh fruits, vegetables and whole
> >> grains, and I love it! My Natural Hygiene books, and books by Paul Bragg
> >> got me started on that back in the 1980s.

> > So much for our being 'omnivores'.

> -------------------------------
>

> Well, Paul Bragg

Sorry,- that was in reference to what I had posted above.

> was basically a "whole foods" type of person - he taught no
> refined/processed/junk foods, and lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. He
> didn't rule out animal products though, and was a mixed eater himself, and
> sometimes ate meat / animal products. I know that Natural Hygiene is
> basically (whole foods) vegan, and doesn't recommend dairy, but doesn't
> totally rule it out either. I read a while ago that Herbert Shelton himself
> was actually a lacto-vegetarian.
>
> Yes I have lots of fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grains in my diet, plus
> probably about 20% dairy. So that's omnivore, not frugivore territory (new
> knowledge at work here).
>
> Anyway, I've eaten enough crow for 1 day....
>
> -erpt

No. You've gained a great deal of credibility.

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> pearl wrote:

> > > Several generations ago our ancestors developed a couple of biolocial
> > > adaptions
> > > that allowed them to catch and kill prey and harvest the flesh. These
> > > were
> > > the opposable thumb and the human brain. Sharp teeth and claws would
> > > have
> > > been superfluous.

> > Evasion noted, and you're reeeeaally reaching there, Dave.
> >
> > 'Fossil Implies Our Early Kin Lived in Trees, Study Says
> > for National Geographic News
> > November 21, 2002
> >
> > The discovery of a fossil skeleton of a 56-million-year-old tiny
> > mammal indicates that our early ancestors were tree-living fruit
> > eaters, and is helping scientists to understand the early evolution
> > of primates.
> > ..
> > The characteristics that separate primates from other mammals
> > are a large brain; the ability to grasp, which requires opposable
> > thumbs and big toes; the ability to leap; eyes in the front of the
> > face rather than on the side; and nails instead of claws.
> > The Carpolestes, which weighed about 4 ounces (100 grams),
> > had a long tail, and a body about 14 inches (35 centimeters) long,
> > shared some, but not all of the characteristics of modern primates,
> > and thus can be viewed as a transitional animal. It had very
> > primate like teeth that were highly specialized for eating flowers,
> > seeds, and fruit. The opposable big toe gave it a grasping ability
> > that indicates it spent most of its time climbing trees.
> >
> > Carpolestes also had a nail on its big toe, but its eyes were not
> > forward facing, and it did not have the bone structure that would
> > allow for specialized leaping, like some of the earliest primates.
> >
> > Bloch and his co-author Doug Boyer conclude that Carpolestes
> > spent most of its time clinging to tree branches and eating fruit,
> > rather than spotting prey or leaping for its dinner. Boyer has been
> > working with Bloch under a National Science Foundation grant
> > to study plesiadapi form skeletons from Wyoming and the origin
> > of primates.
> >
> > The authors speculate that as the diversity of fruits, flowers, leaf
> > buds, and nectar increased in the Paleocene, 65 to 55 million
> > years ago, Carpolestes took to the trees to exploit a new food
> > source and to avoid competition with early rodents.
> > .. .'
> > http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1121_021121_PrimateOrigins.html

> So maybe the opposable thumb originally served the purposes
> of an arboreal fruit eating existence but at some point they also
> proved effective for the purpose of using tools for hunting and
> fishing.

They've proved effective in constructing airplanes and submarines,
but that doesn't mean that humans are now a type of bird or fish.

> > > I have no problem chewing raw fruits, vegetables or nuts but my jaws
> > > are too
> > > week and feeble for dried grains and legumes unless they have been
> > > cooked.

> > And sprouted?

> No problem with sprouts. Do wild animals eat them?

Yes.

At least one variety of legume can be eaten young, pod and all -
"mange tout", and surely you've eaten raw peas from the pod.

"pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > "erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

> <..>

>> > "Oh what tangled webs we weave when first we practice to deceive."
>> >
>> > Your source states that the frugivores studied ate no more than
>> > 2% animal matter, and that was in a limited environment. Other
>> > studies have found their intake of animal matter to be minimal.
>> >
>> > A species naturally including 10% meat in the diet would be
>> > considered omnivorous, and have carnivorous adaptations.

>> -----------------------------------
>>

>> Pearl.......... (now that what you stated above has sunk in)..... I
>> concede
>> that you are absolutely right. And, I have been absolutely wrong through
>> this whole discussion. You are and have been consistent in your
>> position.
>> I didn't see that, and I was wrong to (for lack of a better word)
>> "attack"
>> you, I apologize for that, and I take back everything I said from the
>> very
>> first post.

> Thank you.
>
>> Furthermore, regarding your statement above - "Oh what tangled webs we
>> weave
>> when first we practice to deceive." - You are giving me credit for being
>> smarter about this than I am with that statement. I wasn't attempting to
>> deceive, I really thought I was right, but I wasn't. I was ignorant
>> (dumb?). But I certainly did learn something, and I thank you for that.

> You're welcome, and your honesty is refreshing.
>
>> All that being said, I still do disagree with you when you say that
>> humans
>> are frugivores - I believe we're omnivores. I have been down the vegan
>> (whole foods) diet road a number of times, I can do OK on that diet for
>> many
>> months but it eventually catches up with me and my body chemistry tells
>> me I
>> need some animal products. I wish it weren't that way but is is. So now
>> stick to a lacto-vegetarian diet. (And the frugivorous approx. 2%
>> "animal
>> matter" limit wouldn't be enough for me to feel in balance). See below
>> for
>> more...

> I disagree with your belief that humans are omnivores, as you know,
> and for a multitude of valid reasons. You were excluding foods you
> should not have been in the past, according to your previous posts.

-------------------------

Just to touch on that.... I did restrict my diet quite a lot when trying to
go strict "fruitarian" (at the time I was of the mindset that humans
originally evolved on fruits, nuts, and seeds, and I wanted to go back to
that - "thanks" in large part Arnold Ehret's books). But I was going to
that after being on a vegan diet - I was a vegan far longer than a
fruitarian, and when the fruitarian diet failed I'd go back to vegan (which
was far easier) but I would still eventually have to go back to using dairy
products, as my boy chemistry dictated (demanded, would be more accurate).
What I said earlier was:

"I was also 100% vegan when I tried to go fruitarian, and there's a big
nutritional difference when you drop grains and legumes (and starchy
vegetables such as potatoes) from your diet - you can really feel it."

and-

"After a period of time I'd really feel I needed more variety, I could feel
nutritional deficiencies creeping in after a number of months and I'd have
to revert back to the vegan diet with whole grains and legumes, which would
help immensely."

And a number of times I went to a vegan diet (without experimenting with
fruitarian at all) but after many months would still have to go back to
lacto-vegetarian. By vegan I mean fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains,
nuts, seeds, legumes (no refined/processed foods). The last few times I was
even taking a good quality multivitamin-mineral supplement, but that didn't
help in the long run. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this
one, the demands of my own body chemistry are what I'm forced to go by here,
not what I believe (or believed) in my mind....

-erpt

> See; http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/ .
>
> <..>

>> > So much for our being 'omnivores'.

>> -------------------------------
>>

>> Well, Paul Bragg

> Sorry,- that was in reference to what I had posted above.
>
>> was basically a "whole foods" type of person - he taught no
>> refined/processed/junk foods, and lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. He
>> didn't rule out animal products though, and was a mixed eater himself,
>> and
>> sometimes ate meat / animal products. I know that Natural Hygiene is
>> basically (whole foods) vegan, and doesn't recommend dairy, but doesn't
>> totally rule it out either. I read a while ago that Herbert Shelton
>> himself
>> was actually a lacto-vegetarian.
>>
>> Yes I have lots of fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grains in my diet,
>> plus
>> probably about 20% dairy. So that's omnivore, not frugivore territory
>> (new
>> knowledge at work here).
>>
>> Anyway, I've eaten enough crow for 1 day....
>>
>> -erpt

> No. You've gained a great deal of credibility.

"erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message:
> but I would still eventually have to go back to using dairy products, as
> my boy chemistry dictated (demanded, would be more accurate).

-------

Oops, that sounds very silly..... should read "body chemistry".

-erpt

st7 wrote:
> Rob wrote:
> > I'm sure you already know that certain natural toxins are destroyed by
> > the cooking.

> So you avoid those foods that are toxic in the raw state.

Interestingly in the context of human diet history many of what are
today edible vegetables weren't before the dawn of agriculture and the
selective breeding of certain crops to make them more palatable or less
toxic. Most vegetables, unlike fruit, come from parts of the plant that
the plant doesn't want you to eat and in the original varieties would
have been toxic, bitter-tasting or both - so probably weren't part of
the ancient hominid diet. Any attempt, therefore, to claim that eating
modern cultivated vegetables and fruit is somehow closer to our ancient
ancestors' natural diet is misguided (even ignoring any controversy
about meat).

MattLB

"erpt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

<..>
> > I disagree with your belief that humans are omnivores, as you know,
> > and for a multitude of valid reasons. You were excluding foods you
> > should not have been in the past, according to your previous posts.

> -------------------------
>

> Just to touch on that.... I did restrict my diet quite a lot when trying to
> go strict "fruitarian" (at the time I was of the mindset that humans
> originally evolved on fruits, nuts, and seeds, and I wanted to go back to
> that - "thanks" in large part Arnold Ehret's books). But I was going to
> that after being on a vegan diet - I was a vegan far longer than a
> fruitarian, and when the fruitarian diet failed I'd go back to vegan (which
> was far easier) but I would still eventually have to go back to using dairy
> products, as my boy chemistry dictated (demanded, would be more accurate).
> What I said earlier was:
>
> "I was also 100% vegan when I tried to go fruitarian, and there's a big
> nutritional difference when you drop grains and legumes (and starchy
> vegetables such as potatoes) from your diet - you can really feel it."
>
> and-
>
> "After a period of time I'd really feel I needed more variety, I could feel
> nutritional deficiencies creeping in after a number of months and I'd have
> to revert back to the vegan diet with whole grains and legumes, which would
> help immensely."
>
> And a number of times I went to a vegan diet (without experimenting with
> fruitarian at all) but after many months would still have to go back to
> lacto-vegetarian. By vegan I mean fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains,
> nuts, seeds, legumes (no refined/processed foods). The last few times I was
> even taking a good quality multivitamin-mineral supplement, but that didn't
> help in the long run. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this
> one, the demands of my own body chemistry are what I'm forced to go by here,
> not what I believe (or believed) in my mind....
>
> -erpt

Any idea what it is that you feel or think you are missing out on?

I also recall you writing that you were not eating organic foods.

> > See; http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/ .

- worth leaving in again.