Re: Is RCN Outsourced to India or Something??

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Edward Dolan, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    > "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I personally plan to throw in the towel on this and join the majority.
    >>My
    >>thanks to you, Bryanska, Catzz66, and others for furthering my education.

    > I finally dug out my 'Little, Brown Compact Handbook' - which is the
    > best compilation of grammar and writing rules I've ever seen (not that
    > you could tell that by my writing...).
    >
    > The text makes it clear that the apostrophe is NEVER used to form a
    > plural form of a word. The top-level rule states: "Delete or replace
    > any apostrophe in a plural noun, a singular verb, or a possessive
    > personal pronoun".
    >
    > Some listed examples:
    >
    > Not "The Jones' ", but "The Joneses"
    >
    > Not "The house is her's. It's roof leaks", but "The house is hers.
    > Its roof leaks".
    >
    > So there you have it(s). ;-)

    Not quite! Why? Because it just doesn't look right.

    Here is how I would write it based on how it should look:

    The house is hers. Its' roof leaks.

    It's stands for it is. Its as the possessive has to be its' because without
    the apostrophe it just plain looks goofy. Also, I like Jones' or Jones's
    much better than I like Joneses. I think the latter is awkward, looks goofy
    and is likely wrong.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  2. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    > Not quite! Why? Because it just doesn't look right.
    >
    > Here is how I would write it based on how it should look:
    >
    > The house is hers. Its' roof leaks.
    >
    > It's stands for it is. Its as the possessive has to be its' because without
    > the apostrophe it just plain looks goofy.

    I regret even opening this topic again...

    Ed, that's also incorrect. Sorry dude.

  3. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "bryanska" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    Edward Dolan wrote:

    >> Not quite! Why? Because it just doesn't look right.
    >>
    >> Here is how I would write it based on how it should look:
    >>
    >> The house is hers. Its' roof leaks.
    >>
    >> It's stands for it is. Its as the possessive has to be its' because
    >> without
    >> the apostrophe it just plain looks goofy.

    > I regret even opening this topic again...
    >
    > Ed, that's also incorrect. Sorry dude.

    The grammar books resemble the French Academy with its' attempts to codify
    the French language. You can almost invariably tell whether something is
    right or wrong based on just how it looks. The final arbiter in these
    matters is how the elites use the language, not how the hoi-polloi use the
    language.

    I will be very chagrined if I am proven wrong on this extremely important
    issue. I mean, the world does really hang in the balance here.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  4. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    >I mean, the world does really hang in the balance here.

    It's very important. I'm basing my entire year on the outcome of this
    conversation. 2006 can be a year of great achievements for me, or it
    can be a harowing descent into booze and pills. Please be careful with
    that apostrophe.