Re: IS there such a thing as waterproof SPD shoes available in UK?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by bomba, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. bomba

    bomba Guest

    me wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a pair of comfier shoes for offroad use, with SPD
    > fitings.
    > My current ones are a pain to walk in (literally) when pushing up
    > steep pitches etc, and the merest splash of a puddle goes straight in
    > the mesh venting cunningly designed into these alledged off road
    > shoes... (They're Lake, obviously to collect one IN the shoe...)
    >
    > Surely there must be a comfy semi-walking shoe type SPD shoe that may
    > be gortex lined or something like that?

    Sidis are supposed to have a good reputation for water resilience, but my
    own personal experiences suggest that they're ok for light showers, but
    end up just storing water if the weather's grim.

    Three options lie open to thee:
    1) Go for a winter boot:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5360014160

    2) Go for over-booties:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5220000236

    3) Go for Gore-Tex socks:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300006434

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    spademan o---[) * wrote:
    > "me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:01:22 +0200, bomba <[email protected]>
    >>wrote:

    >>>3) Go for Gore-Tex socks:
    >>>http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300006434

    >>Viable option, offered by my LBS. Always been a fan of keep it out
    >>completely if poss though. Though def cheapest plane...

    > Not quite, cheapest plan = plastic bag in between sock and shoe...
    >
    > Steve.

    Mmm.... You're feet will smell real ripe after that.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. bomba

    bomba Guest

    spademan o---[) * wrote:

    >> >3) Go for Gore-Tex socks:
    >> >http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300006434

    >> Viable option, offered by my LBS. Always been a fan of keep it out
    >> completely if poss though. Though def cheapest plane...

    > Not quite, cheapest plan = plastic bag in between sock and shoe...

    Used condoms are tighter round the ankle and don't let water in so easily :)

  4. supabonbon

    supabonbon Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > >> Viable option, offered by my LBS. Always been a fan of keep it out
    > >> completely if poss though. Though def cheapest plane...

    > > Not quite, cheapest plan = plastic bag in between sock and shoe...

    > Used condoms are tighter round the ankle and don't let water in so easily :)

    Or out. Most of the time.

    The plastic bag is good for the winter to keep the wind off your
    tootsies. For rain it doesn't do much, especially during the summer.
    Weather through sweat or condensation, your feet wind up just as
    saturated.
    Another cheapo solution is to put duct tape over the vents.
    /s