Re: Is this a crack in the chainstay?

John Thompson

Guest
On 2005-06-14, Joe LoBuglio <[email protected]> wrote:

> I recently purchased a 1990 Trek 520. It is a lugged steel frame.
>
> I am concerned that there may be a crack in the non-driveside
> chainstay. Images of the area of concern are at
> http://tinyurl.com/b8zfg .
>
> I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before.
>
> I will be chipping the paint off to look at the bare metal but am
> hesitating in case there is some useful information that can be gleened
> from its original state. I will post pictures of the bare metal after
> folks have a chance to look at this.
>
> If this is a crack, can it just be repaired or need the entire stay be
> replaced?

Sure looks like a crack. Replacing the stay would be quite expensive, very
likely more than you paid for the whole bike. If you're willing to try a
quick 'n' dirty fix, sand the paint off to completely expose the crack.
Drill a small hole at each end of the crack to keep it from growing. Then
fill the whole works with brass brazing material and file to match the
rest of the stay. Repaint as required.

--

John ([email protected])