Re: Is this a crack in the chainstay?

Werehatrack

Guest
On 14 Jun 2005 16:11:52 -0700, "Joe LoBuglio"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I recently purchased a 1990 Trek 520. It is a lugged steel frame.
>
>I am concerned that there may be a crack in the non-driveside
>chainstay. Images of the area of concern are at
>http://tinyurl.com/b8zfg .
>
>I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before.
>
>I will be chipping the paint off to look at the bare metal but am
>hesitating in case there is some useful information that can be gleened
>from its original state. I will post pictures of the bare metal after
>folks have a chance to look at this.

Given the location of the bulge, it appears consistent with a number
of potential explanations; among them, there is a definite possibility
that this bulge has been present since day one. I'd check the frame to
see if it's straight overall; the simple string test (tie a long
string to one dropout, run it forward, around the head tube and back
to the other dropout; the seat tube should be centered between the
strings) is a fast way to see if the frame's hurt. I really doubt
that there is a crack present, however, and as long as the frame is
stright and there's no crack, I don't think that the bulge is a cause
for concern unless you're planning to use this as a heavily loaded
tourer, and maybe not even then. If it's cracked, given the age and
relative value of the frame, I'd shop for a replacement unit and swap
the components over. I don't consider a 520 of that age to be such a
high-value unit that it warrants the cost of replacing a stay, but
that's a value-based judgment which doesn't take personal preferences
into account; it might be worth it to you. Alternately, someone who's
good with a brazing torch and handy with blacksmithing techniques
could fabricate and sweat a patch over that spot which would be more
than adequate to render the point moot, but the cost is not worth it
if you're paying custom shop fabrication rates.

Have you tried asking the folks at Trek if a bulge at that location is
within the limits of normal frame assembly?
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.