Re: Is this considered an off-road bike

Mike Jacoubowsky

Guest
>I know it's very basic but is a Trek Navigator considered an off-road bike?
>
> Thanks... Bob

I'd call it a comfortable heavy-duty City bike. Tougher than a regular
hybrid with its heavier duty mountain-bike-style wheels.

But it's not an off-road or "trail" bike by any reasonable definition.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

You sound pretty knowledgable Mike. I'll be making about a ten mile in town
round trip to work every day. Do you think I would gain a lot by going to a
lighter more traditional "townie" bike?

Bob

On Feb 3, 9:33 pm, "Bob Newman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> You sound pretty knowledgable Mike. I'll be making about a ten mile in town
> round trip to work every day. Do you think I would gain a lot by going to a
> lighter more traditional "townie" bike?

Mike *is* very knowledgeable, he runs bike shop. :) I'm Max, and a
guy that has commuted on and off for years. ;-) My three bits are: if
it's not a hilly five miles there, it's not vastly important what you
ride--indeed, if you have to lock in a sketchy area, something with a
less than stellar physical appearance may be just up your alley. If
that's no worry, and you don't mind spending money, then there are
plenty of options. The big three would be 1) Get a larger wheeled "do
everything" hybrid with 28-35mm tires and add whatever accessories you
need 2) Get one of those Euro style Breezer town bikes with all the
trimmings and a geared hub 3) A traditional drop bar touring bike with
added whatnots.

A utility bike won't necessarily be any lighter than the bike you're
selling, but it can most certainly feel zippier. Even if it has all
the doo-dads on it that make it hefty to lift, if it's got, say 350g
30mm tires instead of twice as heavy and wide tires that were on your
Navigator, it's going to feel much nippier as you've got far less
rolling resistance and gyroscopic force to accelerate.

What's your route like, how do you want to use the bike, in what
clothes, how much to spend--all are factors in what to start looking
at. It's a good time of year for shopping used as well, nice nearly
new bikes are going on my local Craigslist for less than half of their
summer prices.

Have you looked at Trek's comfort road bike.
Looks like what you want for commuting.
Would not keep it locked outside for any length of time though. Bound to be
stripped of parts. Nice bike though

It will be locked up outside ALL day long in the stendent gehetto of a
college town! Hence my interest in a good lock.

Bob

"nash" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Have you looked at Trek's comfort road bike.
> Looks like what you want for commuting.
> Would not keep it locked outside for any length of time though. Bound to
> be stripped of parts. Nice bike though

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 18:00:49 -0500, "Bob Newman" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>It will be locked up outside ALL day long in the stendent gehetto of a
>college town! Hence my interest in a good lock.

I got a frame replaced (for anyone keeping track, Fuji came through
for me!), but they didn't replace the fork. So I've got a beautiful
blue fork, a sort of burnt orange frame, mismatched fenders, a real
beater to look at. The mechanic at the shop suggested painting the
fork black, cause it matches anything, but I may just leave it like it
is. It certainly is not going to be stolen for its "cool" factor!

Pat

Email address works as is.

On Feb 4, 5:00 pm, "Bob Newman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> It will be locked up outside ALL day long in the stendent gehetto of a
> college town! Hence my interest in a good lock.

You're better off getting something from Craigslist, geekifying it
with fenders and a rack, and even giving it a classic "tape job" with
electrical tape. College campuses are the absolute worst places for
theft. Why worry about something expensive?

I routinely see decent hybrids for $100 on my local list. Add in a
mini U-lock, and a cable, accessories, and you can be in for under
$200.

I like the Onguard pitbull mini, (thanks, Paul) as it's fairly priced,
and takes enough minutes to grind through to make trying not worth the
bother if the bike you're locking up isn't something spectacular.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html