Re: It's all relative...

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by JJuggle, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    I am reading One Wheel - Many Spokes by Lars Clausen and in light of
    this, Patrick Thomas' in progress ride across the US, and talk of other
    tours that have taken place and are planned, I'm experiencing an
    interesting psychological phenomenon.

    Rides like the Minnesota ride of a few years ago or that guy who rode
    across Oklahoma just don't seem that impressive. I have never ridden
    more than 5 miles without a dismount or more than 20 miles in a day, yet
    I just have the feeling that riding the length of New Jersey wouldn't be
    that taxing.

    In the course of 4 or 5 pages Lars goes from South Dakota to North
    Dakota and then into Minnesota. How hard could it possibly be to shoot
    down to Maryland from the NYC vicinity?

    I feel positively impervious to saddle soreness, fatigue, achy knees,
    and the like.

    Now where did I put that Twinkie?

    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    --
    JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

    Beware of the devil my child. Beware of his charming ways.
    You'll fall under an evil spell just looking at his beautiful face.
    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  2. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Good handlebars make a big difference in saddle comfort. Just as a road
    bicyclist has approximately 40% of their weight on the handlebars, the
    more we can get off our crotches the better for us as well. Even better
    than for the bicyclists, as we pedal faster and we generate more crotch
    friction.

    Ultramarathon riders like Lars and Wally Watts are truly inspirational.
    Their legs get to be like tree trunks, and they can go all day. But
    Unicycle Across Minnesota was amazing in its own right. When have that
    many people all done such a long unicycle ride together? To do it with
    such a big group is very significant in itself.

    We learned much from that group. We learned that a big group *can* do a
    long ride together, and we learned what kinds of pitfalls and problems
    they would encounter.

    Yes, you should cruise up to NYC sometime. Don't forget to train up
    first though....

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "Beer me." -- Scot Cooper, at the end of a group ride all the way up and
    all the way down Mt. Diablo (3300'), a 20 mile round trip of road and
    trail.

  3. bugman

    bugman Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *
    > Yes, you should cruise up to NYC sometime. Don't forget to train up
    > first though.... *

    Yea, take the train and a dozen dunkin donuts.:D

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

  4. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    JJuggle wrote:
    > *I feel positively impervious to saddle soreness... Now where did I
    > leave that other Twinkie?
    > *

    If you inspect your saddle, you'll probably find that all the cream has
    oozed out of that "other" Twinkie that you used for saddle padding. Air
    tubes may be less comfortable, but they last longer.

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    -- Dave Stockton