General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: just for fun: the Hadd test

Started by Tony · · Last activity · 3 posts · 336 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 June 2005
Last activity
8 June 2005
Original author
Tony
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
336
Views / 30 days
5
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Donovan Rebbechi wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    In response to Sam's recent posting on "Hadd training", I decided it would
    be fun/interesting to test myself. So off I went to the track with a heart
    rate monitor, following a similar testing protocol. In the interests of
    brevity, I did "only" 4 laps at each heart rate, starting at 140, then


    going

    Quoted message said:

    to 150, 160, 170, 180. Which worked reasonably well. It was easy to get it
    right at the lower paces (140,150), harder to hit exactly the right HR


    numbers

    Quoted message said:

    at 170 and 180. So I recorded:

    HR time
    140 8:42
    150 7:45
    160 7:10
    173 6:24
    183 5:52

    Plotting pace (that is, 1/t) against heart rate, I was surprised how good a
    fit the linear model gave me -- R^2 = 0.9981. Basically a perfect straight
    line.

    What is the Hadd test supposed to demonstrate?

    -Tony

  2. Dan Stumpus said:

    When I did my first speedwork (20 x 220, w/220jog, once per week), I went
    from 2:53 to 2:44. Coincidence? My thought is that just about any
    speedwork helps sharpen you, provided you have a strong base. I know the
    research says longer intervals are better, and as I got more serious, I
    abandoned the 220's, but my guess is not all that much better.

    Having done short reps before -- 20x220 is a long workout, even though the
    recoveries are quite "long". In theory, this is "bad". In practice, ones
    heart rate is not going to drop all that much over a ~ 1 minute recovery at
    the end of a workout. And because you do short reps faster, you are getting
    some anaerobic work out of the deal also. Maybe that tradeoff was actually
    the right one for you to make, given your relative strengths and weaknesses.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  3. "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Stumpus said:

    When I did my first speedwork (20 x 220, w/220jog, once per week), I went
    from 2:53 to 2:44. Coincidence? My thought is that just about any
    speedwork helps sharpen you, provided you have a strong base. I know the
    research says longer intervals are better, and as I got more serious, I
    abandoned the 220's, but my guess is not all that much better.

    Having done short reps before -- 20x220 is a long workout, even though the
    recoveries are quite "long". In theory, this is "bad". In practice, ones
    heart rate is not going to drop all that much over a ~ 1 minute recovery
    at
    the end of a workout. And because you do short reps faster, you are
    getting
    some anaerobic work out of the deal also. Maybe that tradeoff was actually
    the right one for you to make, given your relative strengths and
    weaknesses.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

    However, with short recoveries the workout like that becomes a VO2max
    workout. Billat has a paper (as did Astrand) showing how 30 sec all out, 30
    sec rest led to a highly

    I cannot remember who did the study, but with cyclists doing 30sec intervals
    all out and then nothing, that after the first one or two intervals, the
    aerobic contribution increased. I suspect this was one of the ways that
    Zatopek was able to run long distances although he allegedly did a lot of
    interval workouts.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.