Re: keeping feet warm, how?

Dave Larrington

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Steve W
([email protected]) wrote:
> I've got this problem sorted on my DF but still can't get it right on the
> 'bent.
> All the overshoes that I have seen, including the ones I use on the DF are
> open under the sole so therefore do not do much good on the ,bent!!
> Any recommendations, preferably for products that are available in the UK.

More than one comedian recommended that I should tie a plastic bag
around each foot during last Saturday's Marlborough Connection 200. I
rather suspect that this would then cause my plates to sweat buckets and
make the 'orrible rash currently infesting them after failed experiments
with overshoes Even Worse.

The other option suggested was to buy a pair of shoes a size or two
larger than normal and use one or more pairs of thick woolly socks.
Things then degenerated into a discussion of whether electric toe-
warmers could be wired up to a Schmidt dynamo...

Funny... You don't /look/ like Martha and the Vandellas!

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Steve W
> ([email protected]) wrote:
> > I've got this problem sorted on my DF but still can't get it right on the
> > 'bent.
> > All the overshoes that I have seen, including the ones I use on the DF are
> > open under the sole so therefore do not do much good on the ,bent!!
> > Any recommendations, preferably for products that are available in the UK.

> More than one comedian recommended that I should tie a plastic bag
> around each foot during last Saturday's Marlborough Connection 200. I
> rather suspect that this would then cause my plates to sweat buckets and
> make the 'orrible rash currently infesting them after failed experiments
> with overshoes Even Worse.
>
> The other option suggested was to buy a pair of shoes a size or two
> larger than normal and use one or more pairs of thick woolly socks.
> Things then degenerated into a discussion of whether electric toe-
> warmers could be wired up to a Schmidt dynamo...
>
> --
> Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
> Funny... You don't /look/ like Martha and the Vandellas!

RIde an safety bike and overshoes when its cold. (Sorry couldn't resist
it)

In article <[email protected]>,
MSeries ([email protected]) wrote:

> RIde an safety bike and overshoes when its cold. (Sorry couldn't resist
> it)

(FX: MSeries being smitten a mighty blow with a shovel)

That would seriously damage my chances of:

a. RRTY, and
b. ever walking again...

The Real Slim Shady's gone to play tennis.

MSeries wrote:

> RIde an safety bike and overshoes when its cold. (Sorry couldn't resist
> it)

ITYM an UN-safety bike, at least compared with a recumbent.

Dave Larrington wrote:

> The other option suggested was to buy a pair of shoes a size or two
> larger than normal and use one or more pairs of thick woolly socks.
> Things then degenerated into a discussion of whether electric toe-
> warmers could be wired up to a Schmidt dynamo...

Various electric and chemical foot warming thingies:

<http://www.thunderboltsocks.com/heatedsocks_active.htm>

<http://abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_1118303.htm>

<http://www.schoolunif.com/elbatsoc.html>

<http://www.twomorrowssupply.com/heated_socks.html>

<http://www.soldiercity.com/product-exec/product_id/9866>

<http://shop.store.yahoo.com/snowshack/ho35poplfowa1.html>

<http://www.heatfactory.com/What_is_a_Heated_Footbed_/what_is_a_heated_footbed_.html>

--
Dave...

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Steve W
> ([email protected]) wrote:
> > I've got this problem sorted on my DF but still can't get it right on the
> > 'bent.
> > All the overshoes that I have seen, including the ones I use on the DF are
> > open under the sole so therefore do not do much good on the ,bent!!
> > Any recommendations, preferably for products that are available in the UK.

<snip>

> The other option suggested was to buy a pair of shoes a size or two
> larger than normal and use one or more pairs of thick woolly socks.
> Things then degenerated into a discussion of whether electric toe-
> warmers could be wired up to a Schmidt dynamo...
>
> --
> Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
> Funny... You don't /look/ like Martha and the Vandellas!

Hi All,

As long as it's dry (<sarcasm> ho ho... </sarcasm>), you can get a
large pair of socks and put them on over your shoes. Just cut away
enough of the sole to let the cleats out/pedals in. Tight knit sports
socks work well, and you can get 'em in black to make them stand out
less.
I do this on my upwrong on cold clear mornings - works well, and is
cheap.

You could also check that if there are any unsued cleat mounting holes
in the sole of your shoes (eg 3-hole "Look"-style cleat mounting holes
left open, while using the 2 SPD spaced holes). Depending on the
design of the sole of your shoe, these can allow cold air or water to
come in. This happenend to me on an old pair of Carnac touring shoes.
Just a bad design I guess, but a bit of kids' plastcine (sp?) blanked
off the unused holes, and could be easily removed if necessary.

If it's not dry, and you can't get overshoes that suit, I think you may
need to look towards dedicated winter shoes. Shimano do a couple of
pairs, and I'm sure others do the same. There's several types on
www.wiggle.co.uk at the moment, including some on sale.

hth,

bookieb

dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:

>> The other option suggested was to buy a pair of shoes a size or two
>> larger than normal and use one or more pairs of thick woolly socks.
>> Things then degenerated into a discussion of whether electric toe-
>> warmers could be wired up to a Schmidt dynamo...

> Various electric and chemical foot warming thingies:

> <http://www.thunderboltsocks.com/heatedsocks_active.htm>

> <http://abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_1118303.htm>

> <http://www.schoolunif.com/elbatsoc.html>

> <http://www.twomorrowssupply.com/heated_socks.html>

> <http://www.soldiercity.com/product-exec/product_id/9866>

> <http://shop.store.yahoo.com/snowshack/ho35poplfowa1.html>

> <http://www.heatfactory.com/What_is_a_Heated_Footbed_/what_is_a_heated_footbed_.html>

All of which miss the essential point that the body selectively cuts
circulation to the feet when losing core temperature, so the correct
solution is to lessen the heat loss from other parts of the body,
forcing the feet to become the radiators which are cooling you, and
thus remain toasty. Same goes for the hands. But not the face and
head, so as someone else has pointed out, a hat can warm the feet much
better than more socks.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

In article <[email protected]>, Chris Malcolm
([email protected]) wrote:

> All of which miss the essential point that the body selectively cuts
> circulation to the feet when losing core temperature, so the correct
> solution is to lessen the heat loss from other parts of the body,
> forcing the feet to become the radiators which are cooling you, and
> thus remain toasty. Same goes for the hands. But not the face and
> head, so as someone else has pointed out, a hat can warm the feet much
> better than more socks.

Arbut last Saturday I had three layers above the waist and two below,
plus a splendidly warm hat and gloves. I was at all times thoroughly
toasty, except that my hands would take a couple of km to warm up again
after being plunged into cold clammy gloves which had cooled down at a
control.

And my feet - especially the right one - were like lumps of ice all day.

Bah!

Dead pigs make perfect, if heavy, earrings.

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:08:56 -0000, Dave Larrington
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>More than one comedian recommended that I should tie a plastic bag
>around each foot during last Saturday's Marlborough Connection 200. I
>rather suspect that this would then cause my plates to sweat buckets and
>make the 'orrible rash currently infesting them after failed experiments
>with overshoes Even Worse.

Dunno, I've used that technique before now. But not since I bought
the Northwave Fahrenheit bike boots, obv.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
you know? ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:08:56 -0000, Dave Larrington
> <[email protected]> said in
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >More than one comedian recommended that I should tie a plastic bag
> >around each foot during last Saturday's Marlborough Connection 200. I
> >rather suspect that this would then cause my plates to sweat buckets and
> >make the 'orrible rash currently infesting them after failed experiments
> >with overshoes Even Worse.

> Dunno, I've used that technique before now. But not since I bought
> the Northwave Fahrenheit bike boots, obv.

(Heads for Wiggle)

"No longer available"

****.

The System is well pleased with this Unit's performance, which falls
within expected parameters.

in message <[email protected]>, Dave
Larrington ('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
> you know? ([email protected]) wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:08:56 -0000, Dave Larrington
>> <[email protected]> said in
>> <[email protected]>:
>>
>> >More than one comedian recommended that I should tie a plastic bag
>> >around each foot during last Saturday's Marlborough Connection 200.
>> >I rather suspect that this would then cause my plates to sweat
>> >buckets and make the 'orrible rash currently infesting them after
>> >failed experiments with overshoes Even Worse.

>> Dunno, I've used that technique before now. But not since I bought
>> the Northwave Fahrenheit bike boots, obv.

> (Heads for Wiggle)
>
> "No longer available"

Sidi Inverno. Wonderful. Hugely comfortable. Warm.
<URL:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com//Models.aspx?ModelID=635>

Morning had broken, and we had run out of gas for the welding torch.

In article <[email protected]>, Simon
Brooke ([email protected]) wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Dave
> Larrington ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
> > you know? ([email protected]) wrote:
> >> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:08:56 -0000, Dave Larrington
> >> <[email protected]> said in

> >> Dunno, I've used that technique before now. But not since I bought
> >> the Northwave Fahrenheit bike boots, obv.

> > (Heads for Wiggle)
> >
> > "No longer available"

> Sidi Inverno. Wonderful. Hugely comfortable. Warm.
> <URL:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com//Models.aspx?ModelID=635>

(Heads for Sidisport.com. Looks at photo of sole of said shoe)

Error 415 - Unsupported media type. Not Look-compatible, by the look
thereof.

**** encore.

Better hide the pork scratchings...

Dave Larrington wrote:
> The other option suggested was to buy a pair of shoes a size or two
> larger than normal and use one or more pairs of thick woolly socks.

This works for me - i.e. Look SPD shoes a loose fit perhaps 1 size
over, and thick socks or better still 2 pairs thin socks. The point is
that to keep feet warm you need good blood circulation as well as
insulation. It also eliminates cramps. pins & needles etc. Your feet
swell during exercise and close fitting shoes become too tight.
Neoprene overshoes can constrict your feet and cause problems IME.

cheers

Jacob

Hmm... Will these take Looks cleats? <http://tinyurl.co.uk/36yb>

--
Dave...

in message <[email protected]>, Dave
Larrington ('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Simon
> Brooke ([email protected]) wrote:
>> in message <[email protected]>, Dave
>> Larrington ('[email protected]') wrote:

>> > (Heads for Wiggle)
>> >
>> > "No longer available"

>> Sidi Inverno. Wonderful. Hugely comfortable. Warm.
>> <URL:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com//Models.aspx?ModelID=635>

> (Heads for Sidisport.com. Looks at photo of sole of said shoe)

Ah! They also do a road-bike version of the same boot, but it has a
different model name... sorry, can't remember it just now, and their
website is simply appalling.

See one nuclear war, you've seen them all.

In article <[email protected]>, Simon
Brooke ([email protected]) wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Dave
> Larrington ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Simon
> > Brooke ([email protected]) wrote:
> >> in message <[email protected]>, Dave

> >> Sidi Inverno. Wonderful. Hugely comfortable. Warm.
> >> <URL:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com//Models.aspx?ModelID=635>

> > (Heads for Sidisport.com. Looks at photo of sole of said shoe)

> Ah! They also do a road-bike version of the same boot, but it has a
> different model name... sorry, can't remember it just now, and their
> website is simply appalling.

Found it - Freeze.

Evans maintain that they have the Fahrenheit, so I may mosey over the
road and see whether they Lie.

Nicht in die laufende Trommel greifen.