Re: Knee problems, conflicting diagnosis, MRI

Leo Lichtman

Guest
"len" wrote: (clip) I woke up with an intense pain in both knees. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is an important fact which, it seems to me, is not getting enough
attention. It is extremely unlikely that any kind of degenerative
conditions would appear suddenly and intensely IN BOTH KNEES during the
night. You didn't tell us your age, but some arthritis could be present,
but overnight onset?

I'm not a doctor--I just play one on the internet. What is
meteo-dependence? Is it a polite word for "nuts?"

On Mar 3, 7:20 pm, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "len" wrote: (clip) I woke up with an intense pain in both knees. (clip)
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This is an important fact which, it seems to me, is not getting enough
> attention. It is extremely unlikely that any kind of degenerative
> conditions would appear suddenly and intensely IN BOTH KNEES during the
> night. You didn't tell us your age, but some arthritis could be present,
> but overnight onset?
>
> I'm not a doctor--I just play one on the internet. What is
> meteo-dependence? Is it a polite word for "nuts?"

I'm 28. And I agree with you: sudden pain ca be either caused by an
accident which is not the case or by some kind of inflamatory
reaction.

meteo-dependence is what old people say: it hurts when it rains.

Len

"len" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mar 3, 7:20 pm, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "len" wrote: (clip) I woke up with an intense pain in both knees. (clip)
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> This is an important fact which, it seems to me, is not getting enough
>> attention. It is extremely unlikely that any kind of degenerative
>> conditions would appear suddenly and intensely IN BOTH KNEES during the
>> night. You didn't tell us your age, but some arthritis could be
>> present,
>> but overnight onset?
>>
>> I'm not a doctor--I just play one on the internet. What is
>> meteo-dependence? Is it a polite word for "nuts?"

> I'm 28. And I agree with you: sudden pain ca be either caused by an
> accident which is not the case or by some kind of inflamatory
> reaction.
>
> meteo-dependence is what old people say: it hurts when it rains.

Seek a competent Doctor.

It has removed 3775 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

"Daryl Hunt" wrote: Seek a competent Doctor.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Daryl, Len has been to FOUR doctors. He is looking for advice on whom to
believe. How do you propose that he narrow the search? I'm sure that each
one of these charges plenty for his service, and I'm sure Len is willing to
pay for effective treatment, but how does a layman cope with soaring costs
and no results?

On Mar 4, 5:10 am, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Daryl Hunt" wrote: Seek a competent Doctor.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Daryl, Len has been to FOUR doctors. He is looking for advice on whom to
> believe. How do you propose that he narrow the search? I'm sure that each
> one of these charges plenty for his service, and I'm sure Len is willing to
> pay for effective treatment, but how does a layman cope with soaring costs
> and no results?

In my day to day life I am a computer science engineer. If I work on
product which then has some problems I am put to the wall but it seems
to me that the doctors can give some contradictory opinions and
solutions, some of which are certainly wrong and everything is ok.
Searching for various opinions on my knees problems I have found
horrific stories of what doctors did to patients.

On Mar 4, 4:56 am, "len" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 5:10 am, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Daryl Hunt" wrote: Seek a competent Doctor.

> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Daryl, Len has been to FOUR doctors. He is looking for advice on whom to
> > believe. How do you propose that he narrow the search? I'm sure that each
> > one of these charges plenty for his service, and I'm sure Len is willing to
> > pay for effective treatment, but how does a layman cope with soaring costs
> > and no results?

> In my day to day life I am a computer science engineer. If I work on
> product which then has some problems I am put to the wall but it seems
> to me that the doctors can give some contradictory opinions and
> solutions, some of which are certainly wrong and everything is ok.
> Searching for various opinions on my knees problems I have found
> horrific stories of what doctors did to patients.

Perhaps you might share a bit of sports history... did you run cross
country, play ball, etc.? 28 years is young for degenerative
anything...

On Mar 4, 5:59 pm, "Will" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 4:56 am, "len" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 4, 5:10 am, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > "Daryl Hunt" wrote: Seek a competent Doctor.

> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > Daryl, Len has been to FOUR doctors. He is looking for advice on whom to
> > > believe. How do you propose that he narrow the search? I'm sure that each
> > > one of these charges plenty for his service, and I'm sure Len is willing to
> > > pay for effective treatment, but how does a layman cope with soaring costs
> > > and no results?

> > In my day to day life I am a computer science engineer. If I work on
> > product which then has some problems I am put to the wall but it seems
> > to me that the doctors can give some contradictory opinions and
> > solutions, some of which are certainly wrong and everything is ok.
> > Searching for various opinions on my knees problems I have found
> > horrific stories of what doctors did to patients.

> Perhaps you might share a bit of sports history... did you run cross
> country, play ball, etc.? 28 years is young for degenerative
> anything...

I did a lot of sports during high school, cycling, basket, mountain
randonee but nothing extreme or professional. Then I stopped (around
19), got a job and started working a lot, 12-16h on a chair in front
of a computer. I gained a lot of weight. It lasted for 3-4 years and
then I realised the wrong doing and started doing some sport again
mainly cycling. I have a road bike since 2 years and I did no more
than 5000 km per year with the roadbike (biggest trip was this:
http://www.len.ro/cycling/to-the-black-sea/ usually in the weekends
and much less last year than the year before. I also have another bike
for trips around the city. I started loosing weight but still work a
lot since I have my own company which I try to maintain. I am living
and working in a very cold place on the north-west and have
experiences problems with other articulations: hands, ankle, head
which have faded away after some time. The knee problem is the worst
yet.

Len

len wrote:
> On Mar 3, 7:20 pm, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "len" wrote: (clip) I woke up with an intense pain in both knees. (clip)
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> This is an important fact which, it seems to me, is not getting enough
>> attention. It is extremely unlikely that any kind of degenerative
>> conditions would appear suddenly and intensely IN BOTH KNEES during the
>> night. You didn't tell us your age, but some arthritis could be present,
>> but overnight onset?
>>
>> I'm not a doctor--I just play one on the internet. What is
>> meteo-dependence? Is it a polite word for "nuts?"

> I'm 28. And I agree with you: sudden pain ca be either caused by an
> accident which is not the case or by some kind of inflamatory
> reaction.
>
> meteo-dependence is what old people say: it hurts when it rains.
>
> Len

Older guy advice coming.
At 58 I like to both bike, hike, and flat out run. About 3 days ago I
took a spontaneous run (no jogging on heels) until I was about ready to
collapse and set a 2.5 football field record. The next morning my left
knee (good one) hurt really bad and my right knee (bad one, broken leg)
felt just fine. After I was up and about the pain went away, probably
because I bicycled that day. That was the first time I have EVER had
pain in that knee, and I hope it isn't a precursor of (Oh My God, I'm
getting old). I cracked my thumb in an altercation with a pickup truck
about 2 months ago and now that is like it never happened. Time heals.
At 30 years younger than me I really doubt that you have any kind of
degenerative disease unless you have a really seriously bad family
history. If it does come back on a regular basis then by all means, go
see a doctor. One time things come and go with all of us, but the ones
that repeat are probably trying to tell you something. 28 is waaaay too
young to be having problems. At that age I used to run an hour or two on
Sunday mornings waiting for my beer league baseball friends to show up,
and then we played baseball until either it got too dark or we had one
keg too many.
The good old days.
Bill Baka

len wrote:
> On Mar 4, 5:59 pm, "Will" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> In my day to day life I am a computer science engineer. If I work on
>>> product which then has some problems I am put to the wall but it seems
>>> to me that the doctors can give some contradictory opinions and
>>> solutions, some of which are certainly wrong and everything is ok.
>>> Searching for various opinions on my knees problems I have found
>>> horrific stories of what doctors did to patients.

>> Perhaps you might share a bit of sports history... did you run cross
>> country, play ball, etc.? 28 years is young for degenerative
>> anything...

> I did a lot of sports during high school, cycling, basket, mountain
> randonee but nothing extreme or professional. Then I stopped (around
> 19), got a job and started working a lot, 12-16h on a chair in front
> of a computer. I gained a lot of weight. It lasted for 3-4 years and
> then I realised the wrong doing and started doing some sport again
> mainly cycling. I have a road bike since 2 years and I did no more
> than 5000 km per year with the roadbike (biggest trip was this:
> http://www.len.ro/cycling/to-the-black-sea/ usually in the weekends
> and much less last year than the year before. I also have another bike
> for trips around the city. I started loosing weight but still work a
> lot since I have my own company which I try to maintain. I am living
> and working in a very cold place on the north-west and have
> experiences problems with other articulations: hands, ankle, head
> which have faded away after some time. The knee problem is the worst
> yet.
>
> Len

I think you just diagnosed yourself correctly, cubicle syndrome. It may
be fun to be the computer guru but that does nothing for your bottom
(mid) line. The smart ones I know go out at lunch and instead of going
to McJunk food's, they power walk, jog (not recommended by me), run, or
bicycle to burn off pounds and frustration. Just being 28 does not make
you heart attack proof. My sister knew an in-house caretaker who was
vastly overweight and died of a heart attack at 25, in the house of an
elderly couple she was taking care of. Nobody is immune to the effects
of cubicles or television. The knee problem may be due to some bad
landings on the basketball court. That is pretty intense high impact.
Bill Baka

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Daryl Hunt" wrote: Seek a competent Doctor.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Daryl, Len has been to FOUR doctors. He is looking for advice on whom to
> believe. How do you propose that he narrow the search? I'm sure that
> each one of these charges plenty for his service, and I'm sure Len is
> willing to pay for effective treatment, but how does a layman cope with
> soaring costs and no results?

I doubt if any of us in here are qualified to answer that. He's been to 4
doctors and all 4 say the same thing or different things? If they are all 4
saying different things then doctor #5 is in order. If they are all saying
the same thing then he needs to listen to them.

But am I qualified to give out medical advice? Hell, I don't even like
taking Aspirin. And I have both knees bad (among other ailments) but the
pain reminds me I am alive.

It has removed 3799 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

In article <[email protected]>, len
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mar 4, 5:59 pm, "Will" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > In my day to day life I am a computer science engineer. If I work on
> > > product which then has some problems I am put to the wall but it seems
> > > to me that the doctors can give some contradictory opinions and
> > > solutions, some of which are certainly wrong and everything is ok.
> > > Searching for various opinions on my knees problems I have found
> > > horrific stories of what doctors did to patients.

> > Perhaps you might share a bit of sports history... did you run cross
> > country, play ball, etc.? 28 years is young for degenerative
> > anything...

> I did a lot of sports during high school, cycling, basket, mountain
> randonee but nothing extreme or professional. Then I stopped (around
> 19), got a job and started working a lot, 12-16h on a chair in front
> of a computer. I gained a lot of weight. It lasted for 3-4 years and
> then I realised the wrong doing and started doing some sport again
> mainly cycling. I have a road bike since 2 years and I did no more
> than 5000 km per year with the roadbike (biggest trip was this:
> http://www.len.ro/cycling/to-the-black-sea/ usually in the weekends
> and much less last year than the year before. I also have another bike
> for trips around the city. I started loosing weight but still work a
> lot since I have my own company which I try to maintain. I am living
> and working in a very cold place on the north-west and have
> experiences problems with other articulations: hands, ankle, head
> which have faded away after some time. The knee problem is the worst
> yet.
>
> Len

Another unqualified opinion following....

I'd interpret the sudden onset of your affliction as a fact militating
against a chronic degenerative condition. Your youth as well. As to
what exactly is the cause of the pain -- I don't know.

But it is strongly recommended that you relegate surgery to the option
of last resort and then only if there is some measure of consensus
among doctors. Don't go under the knife unless absolutely necessary.

Step one, which you've wisely already undertaken, is to take stock of
your lifestyle and recognize that it was imperilling your health. My
experience is that aches and pains come and go, often with no plausible
cause, and that seemingly unrelated areas such as diet -- a regimen
heavy in animal based foods can significantly exacerbate arthritis for
instance -- can be aggravating factors.

Given your sedentary lifestyle perhaps the pain may just indicate that
you're trying to do too much too fast -- periods of relative inactivity
punctuated by stretches of intense or prolonged exertion is a sure way
to encourage injury as many an office worker who suffered a heart
attack while shovelling snow will attest. Perhaps a particularly
strenuous outing strained your knees which, by your note of numerous
joint difficulties, may have also been suffering from a general joint
ailment originating ????.

And sometimes, if a demanding schedule and fatigue abates, the problem
just resolves itself. Len, maybe replacing the booleans and functions
before your nose with some roses and doing a whole lotta nothing for
while is just what the doctor should order.

Luke

On Mar 5, 1:41 am, Luke <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, len
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Perhaps you might share a bit of sports history... did you run cross
> > > country, play ball, etc.? 28 years is young for degenerative
> > > anything...

> > I did a lot of sports during high school, cycling, basket, mountain
> > randonee but nothing extreme or professional. Then I stopped (around
> > 19), got a job and started working a lot, 12-16h on a chair in front
> > of a computer. I gained a lot of weight. It lasted for 3-4 years and
> > then I realised the wrong doing and started doing some sport again
> > mainly cycling. I have a road bike since 2 years and I did no more
> > than 5000 km per year with the roadbike (biggest trip was this:
> >http://www.len.ro/cycling/to-the-black-sea/usually in the weekends
> > and much less last year than the year before. I also have another bike
> > for trips around the city. I started loosing weight but still work a
> > lot since I have my own company which I try to maintain. I am living
> > and working in a very cold place on the north-west and have
> > experiences problems with other articulations: hands, ankle, head
> > which have faded away after some time. The knee problem is the worst
> > yet.

> > Len

> Another unqualified opinion following....
>
> I'd interpret the sudden onset of your affliction as a fact militating
> against a chronic degenerative condition. Your youth as well. As to
> what exactly is the cause of the pain -- I don't know.
>
> But it is strongly recommended that you relegate surgery to the option
> of last resort and then only if there is some measure of consensus
> among doctors. Don't go under the knife unless absolutely necessary.
>
> Step one, which you've wisely already undertaken, is to take stock of
> your lifestyle and recognize that it was imperilling your health. My
> experience is that aches and pains come and go, often with no plausible
> cause, and that seemingly unrelated areas such as diet -- a regimen
> heavy in animal based foods can significantly exacerbate arthritis for
> instance -- can be aggravating factors.
>
> Given your sedentary lifestyle perhaps the pain may just indicate that
> you're trying to do too much too fast -- periods of relative inactivity
> punctuated by stretches of intense or prolonged exertion is a sure way
> to encourage injury as many an office worker who suffered a heart
> attack while shovelling snow will attest. Perhaps a particularly
> strenuous outing strained your knees which, by your note of numerous
> joint difficulties, may have also been suffering from a general joint
> ailment originating ????.
>
> And sometimes, if a demanding schedule and fatigue abates, the problem
> just resolves itself. Len, maybe replacing the booleans and functions
> before your nose with some roses and doing a whole lotta nothing for
> while is just what the doctor should order.
>
> Luke

Luke, I completely agree with you, work is bad if no space is taken. I
guess the everyday life is much more complicated than it is supposed
to be and this strains the body (http://www.len.ro/mind/universe/work-
addiction-hunger/).

Len
www.len.ro

> Older guy advice coming.
> At 58 I like to both bike, hike, and flat out run. About 3 days ago I
> took a spontaneous run (no jogging on heels) until I was about ready to
> collapse and set a 2.5 football field record. The next morning my left
> knee (good one) hurt really bad and my right knee (bad one, broken leg)
> felt just fine. After I was up and about the pain went away, probably
> because I bicycled that day. That was the first time I have EVER had
> pain in that knee, and I hope it isn't a precursor of (Oh My God, I'm
> getting old). I cracked my thumb in an altercation with a pickup truck
> about 2 months ago and now that is like it never happened. Time heals.
> At 30 years younger than me I really doubt that you have any kind of
> degenerative disease unless you have a really seriously bad family
> history. If it does come back on a regular basis then by all means, go
> see a doctor. One time things come and go with all of us, but the ones
> that repeat are probably trying to tell you something. 28 is waaaay too
> young to be having problems. At that age I used to run an hour or two on
> Sunday mornings waiting for my beer league baseball friends to show up,
> and then we played baseball until either it got too dark or we had one
> keg too many.
> The good old days.
> Bill Baka

I am 56. I started bike racing in 1965 (at 15). Over the past number of
years, I have acquired about 30+ fractures. Most of them due to 25 years of
Karate on top of the bike racing and a nasty plane crash in 1976. I know
from hurt. Please do not mistake me for a medical professional, by any
stretch of the imagination.

Recently, I came upon something that gave me tremendous irritation relief.
There is a spice used in Indian and Chinese cooking called Tumeric (or
Turmeric). It has an ingredient in it called curricumin. One of the local
health food stores has the Tumeric powder packaged in capsules. I take two a
day. Within two weeks, I saw a serious reduction in discomfort. According to
what I was able to find out, there is very little chance of any reaction
with other medications. Apparently, this stuff is widely used in the UK. My
distributor over there said everyone has been using it for years with great
success against arthritis and general irritation problems.

Do a Google search on this stuff and look for the official info from the
British government. It is quite interesting.

Bruce

"Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Older guy advice coming.
>> At 58 I like to both bike, hike, and flat out run. About 3 days ago I
>> took a spontaneous run (no jogging on heels) until I was about ready to
>> collapse and set a 2.5 football field record. The next morning my left
>> knee (good one) hurt really bad and my right knee (bad one, broken leg)
>> felt just fine. After I was up and about the pain went away, probably
>> because I bicycled that day. That was the first time I have EVER had
>> pain in that knee, and I hope it isn't a precursor of (Oh My God, I'm
>> getting old). I cracked my thumb in an altercation with a pickup truck
>> about 2 months ago and now that is like it never happened. Time heals.
>> At 30 years younger than me I really doubt that you have any kind of
>> degenerative disease unless you have a really seriously bad family
>> history. If it does come back on a regular basis then by all means, go
>> see a doctor. One time things come and go with all of us, but the ones
>> that repeat are probably trying to tell you something. 28 is waaaay too
>> young to be having problems. At that age I used to run an hour or two on
>> Sunday mornings waiting for my beer league baseball friends to show up,
>> and then we played baseball until either it got too dark or we had one
>> keg too many.
>> The good old days.
>> Bill Baka

> I am 56. I started bike racing in 1965 (at 15). Over the past number of
> years, I have acquired about 30+ fractures. Most of them due to 25 years
> of
> Karate on top of the bike racing and a nasty plane crash in 1976. I know
> from hurt. Please do not mistake me for a medical professional, by any
> stretch of the imagination.
>
> Recently, I came upon something that gave me tremendous irritation relief.
> There is a spice used in Indian and Chinese cooking called Tumeric (or
> Turmeric). It has an ingredient in it called curricumin. One of the local
> health food stores has the Tumeric powder packaged in capsules. I take two
> day. Within two weeks, I saw a serious reduction in discomfort. According
> what I was able to find out, there is very little chance of any reaction
> with other medications. Apparently, this stuff is widely used in the UK.
> My
> distributor over there said everyone has been using it for years with
> great
> success against arthritis and general irritation problems.
>
> Do a Google search on this stuff and look for the official info from the
> British government. It is quite interesting.
>
> Bruce

Large doses of Vitamin C is a pain killer and hot pepper sauce is a good one
too. It is what is used in Lakota arthritis pills. Capsaicin or something.

Bruce Gilbert wrote:
>> Older guy advice coming.
>> At 58 I like to both bike, hike, and flat out run. About 3 days ago I
>> took a spontaneous run (no jogging on heels) until I was about ready to
>> collapse and set a 2.5 football field record. The next morning my left
>> knee (good one) hurt really bad and my right knee (bad one, broken leg)
>> felt just fine. After I was up and about the pain went away, probably
>> because I bicycled that day. That was the first time I have EVER had
>> pain in that knee, and I hope it isn't a precursor of (Oh My God, I'm
>> getting old). I cracked my thumb in an altercation with a pickup truck
>> about 2 months ago and now that is like it never happened. Time heals.
>> At 30 years younger than me I really doubt that you have any kind of
>> degenerative disease unless you have a really seriously bad family
>> history. If it does come back on a regular basis then by all means, go
>> see a doctor. One time things come and go with all of us, but the ones
>> that repeat are probably trying to tell you something. 28 is waaaay too
>> young to be having problems. At that age I used to run an hour or two on
>> Sunday mornings waiting for my beer league baseball friends to show up,
>> and then we played baseball until either it got too dark or we had one
>> keg too many.
>> The good old days.
>> Bill Baka

> I am 56. I started bike racing in 1965 (at 15). Over the past number of
> years, I have acquired about 30+ fractures. Most of them due to 25 years of
> Karate on top of the bike racing and a nasty plane crash in 1976. I know
> from hurt. Please do not mistake me for a medical professional, by any
> stretch of the imagination.
>
> Recently, I came upon something that gave me tremendous irritation relief.
> There is a spice used in Indian and Chinese cooking called Tumeric (or
> Turmeric). It has an ingredient in it called curricumin. One of the local
> health food stores has the Tumeric powder packaged in capsules. I take two a
> day. Within two weeks, I saw a serious reduction in discomfort. According to
> what I was able to find out, there is very little chance of any reaction
> with other medications. Apparently, this stuff is widely used in the UK. My
> distributor over there said everyone has been using it for years with great
> success against arthritis and general irritation problems.
>
> Do a Google search on this stuff and look for the official info from the
> British government. It is quite interesting.
>
> Bruce

These days, anything that works, FDA approved or not, can be tried and
if it works, just do a little more studying to make sure it doesn't have
liver complications.
They really can't license 'food supplements'.
Bill Baka

On Mar 5, 4:28 pm, "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Older guy advice coming.
> > At 58 I like to both bike, hike, and flat out run. About 3 days ago I
> > took a spontaneous run (no jogging on heels) until I was about ready to
> > collapse and set a 2.5 football field record. The next morning my left
> > knee (good one) hurt really bad and my right knee (bad one, broken leg)
> > felt just fine. After I was up and about the pain went away, probably
> > because I bicycled that day. That was the first time I have EVER had
> > pain in that knee, and I hope it isn't a precursor of (Oh My God, I'm
> > getting old). I cracked my thumb in an altercation with a pickup truck
> > about 2 months ago and now that is like it never happened. Time heals.
> > At 30 years younger than me I really doubt that you have any kind of
> > degenerative disease unless you have a really seriously bad family
> > history. If it does come back on a regular basis then by all means, go
> > see a doctor. One time things come and go with all of us, but the ones
> > that repeat are probably trying to tell you something. 28 is waaaay too
> > young to be having problems. At that age I used to run an hour or two on
> > Sunday mornings waiting for my beer league baseball friends to show up,
> > and then we played baseball until either it got too dark or we had one
> > keg too many.
> > The good old days.
> > Bill Baka

> I am 56. I started bike racing in 1965 (at 15). Over the past number of
> years, I have acquired about 30+ fractures. Most of them due to 25 years of
> Karate on top of the bike racing and a nasty plane crash in 1976. I know
> from hurt. Please do not mistake me for a medical professional, by any
> stretch of the imagination.
>
> Recently, I came upon something that gave me tremendous irritation relief.
> There is a spice used in Indian and Chinese cooking called Tumeric (or
> Turmeric). It has an ingredient in it called curricumin. One of the local
> health food stores has the Tumeric powder packaged in capsules. I take two a
> day. Within two weeks, I saw a serious reduction in discomfort. According to
> what I was able to find out, there is very little chance of any reaction
> with other medications. Apparently, this stuff is widely used in the UK. My
> distributor over there said everyone has been using it for years with great
> success against arthritis and general irritation problems.
>
> Do a Google search on this stuff and look for the official info from the
> British government. It is quite interesting.
>
> Bruce

Tumeric = Curcuma so I should start by doing more cooking:
http://www.len.ro/cooking/indian/copy_of_curry-chicken-indian-style-with-couscous

Len

len wrote:
> On Mar 5, 4:28 pm, "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Older guy advice coming.
>>> At 58 I like to both bike, hike, and flat out run. About 3 days ago I
>>> took a spontaneous run (no jogging on heels) until I was about ready to
>>> collapse and set a 2.5 football field record. The next morning my left
>>> knee (good one) hurt really bad and my right knee (bad one, broken leg)
>>> felt just fine. After I was up and about the pain went away, probably
>>> because I bicycled that day. That was the first time I have EVER had
>>> pain in that knee, and I hope it isn't a precursor of (Oh My God, I'm
>>> getting old). I cracked my thumb in an altercation with a pickup truck
>>> about 2 months ago and now that is like it never happened. Time heals.
>>> At 30 years younger than me I really doubt that you have any kind of
>>> degenerative disease unless you have a really seriously bad family
>>> history. If it does come back on a regular basis then by all means, go
>>> see a doctor. One time things come and go with all of us, but the ones
>>> that repeat are probably trying to tell you something. 28 is waaaay too
>>> young to be having problems. At that age I used to run an hour or two on
>>> Sunday mornings waiting for my beer league baseball friends to show up,
>>> and then we played baseball until either it got too dark or we had one
>>> keg too many.
>>> The good old days.
>>> Bill Baka

>> I am 56. I started bike racing in 1965 (at 15). Over the past number of
>> years, I have acquired about 30+ fractures. Most of them due to 25 years of
>> Karate on top of the bike racing and a nasty plane crash in 1976. I know
>> from hurt. Please do not mistake me for a medical professional, by any
>> stretch of the imagination.
>>
>> Recently, I came upon something that gave me tremendous irritation relief.
>> There is a spice used in Indian and Chinese cooking called Tumeric (or
>> Turmeric). It has an ingredient in it called curricumin. One of the local
>> health food stores has the Tumeric powder packaged in capsules. I take two a
>> day. Within two weeks, I saw a serious reduction in discomfort. According to
>> what I was able to find out, there is very little chance of any reaction
>> with other medications. Apparently, this stuff is widely used in the UK. My
>> distributor over there said everyone has been using it for years with great
>> success against arthritis and general irritation problems.
>>
>> Do a Google search on this stuff and look for the official info from the
>> British government. It is quite interesting.
>>
>> Bruce

> Tumeric = Curcuma so I should start by doing more cooking:
> http://www.len.ro/cooking/indian/copy_of_curry-chicken-indian-style-with-couscous
>
> Len

It sounds worth a try, at least a few tries to see if it helps. Thing
is, except for that strangely arthritic feeling knee one day I don't
have any pains anywhere. I expect them to start cropping up someday,
since even though I generally feel like I'm 20 something, I know damn
well I AM 58, and something should start acting up, according to statistics.
So far, so good, no complaints.
Bill Baka