RE: Lakes Weather Line

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by sandy saunders, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. For those that use it, and may not be aware, but the National Park Weather
    Line as changed its number to:

    0870 0550575

    Just had to update 70 pages of my website ...... phew, what a job! Serves
    me right for having the number on each walk page.

    --
    sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

    'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
    brings the same excitement'

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:03:54 GMT, "sandy saunders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >For those that use it, and may not be aware, but the National Park Weather
    >Line as changed its number to:
    >
    >0870 0550575
    >
    >Just had to update 70 pages of my website ...... phew, what a job! Serves
    >me right for having the number on each walk page.

    In other words it's now a lot more expensive :-(

    --
    York Alpine Club - http://www.yorkalpineclub.org.uk
    Recent Photos - http://climbing.me.uk

  3. On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:03:54 GMT, "sandy saunders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >For those that use it, and may not be aware, but the National Park Weather
    >Line as changed its number to:
    >
    >0870 0550575
    >
    >Just had to update 70 pages of my website ...... phew, what a job! Serves
    >me right for having the number on each walk page.

    And 75757 was so simple.

    However I consider the forecast well worth the extra money.

    Robert
    royall at which net

  4. AndyR

    AndyR Guest

    For info,

    Detailed daily forecasts for hill-walkers in the lake district are
    available to download free of charge from

    http://www.mwis.org.uk

    There are also forecasts available for the east of Scotland, West of
    Scotland and Snowdonia

  5. JeffC

    JeffC Guest

    --
    astrecks(at)yahooyourbrain(dot)com (remove your brain to reply)

    Always look on the bright side of life (De do, de do, de doody doody do)

    "sandy saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > For those that use it, and may not be aware, but the National Park Weather
    > Line as changed its number to:
    >
    > 0870 0550575
    >
    > Just had to update 70 pages of my website ...... phew, what a job! Serves
    > me right for having the number on each walk page.
    >
    > --
    > sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
    >
    > 'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
    > brings the same excitement'

    The best site for weather forecasts (in my opinion) is metcheck.

    It gives you the expected forecast for 24 hours at 3hour intervals
    If you click on the dropdown (jump to) list on the top right hand of the
    weather page and select "Mountain" it will give you a 24hr forecast at 3
    hour intervals for all mountain areas in the UK.
    Plus cloud level, freezing level and windspeed and temp at what ever heights
    you select.

    I have found the forecast to be quite accurate most of the time.

    There is also an "actual weather" to "forecast weather" statistical page, to
    check the performance of the forecasts. worth a look.

    http://www.metcheck.com/index.asp

    Jeff C

  6. JeffC

    JeffC Guest

    > The best site for weather forecasts (in my opinion) is metcheck.
    >
    > It gives you the expected forecast for 24 hours at 3hour intervals
    > If you click on the dropdown (jump to) list on the top right hand of the
    > weather page and select "Mountain" it will give you a 24hr forecast at 3
    > hour intervals for all mountain areas in the UK.
    > Plus cloud level, freezing level and windspeed and temp at what ever

    heights
    > you select.
    >
    > I have found the forecast to be quite accurate most of the time.
    >
    > There is also an "actual weather" to "forecast weather" statistical page,

    > check the performance of the forecasts. worth a look.
    >
    > http://www.metcheck.com/index.asp
    >
    > Jeff C

    Oop's should have said 72 hour forecast not 24

    Jeff C

  7. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from
    sandy saunders contained the following:

    >0870 0550575
    >
    >Just had to update 70 pages of my website ...... phew, what a job! Serves
    >me right for having the number on each walk page.

    This would be a bad time to suggest using a scripting language like PHP
    to include such information from a single file so you only have to make
    one change, would it?

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.

  8. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:37:58 +0000, Geoff Berrow wrote:

    >I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from
    >sandy saunders contained the following:
    >

    >>0870 0550575
    >>
    >>Just had to update 70 pages of my website ...... phew, what a job! Serves
    >>me right for having the number on each walk page.

    >This would be a bad time to suggest using a scripting language like PHP
    >to include such information from a single file so you only have to make
    >one change, would it?

    Or a text editor like TextPad http://www.textpad.com/ that can edit
    across multiple documents.

  9. Darren G

    Darren G Guest

    says...
    > I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from
    > sandy saunders contained the following:
    >

    > >0870 0550575
    > >
    > >Just had to update 70 pages of my website ...... phew, what a job! Serves
    > >me right for having the number on each walk page.

    > This would be a bad time to suggest using a scripting language like PHP
    > to include such information from a single file so you only have to make
    > one change, would it?

    or just something like textpad that can search & replace over multiple
    files?

    Why don't we all rub it in, eh?! :)

    --
    Darren
    mail to darren not ng

  10. Darren G

    Darren G Guest

    cook.freeserve.co.uk says...
    > On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:37:58 +0000, Geoff Berrow wrote:
    >
    > Or a text editor like TextPad http://www.textpad.com/ that can edit
    > across multiple documents.

    :) Snap

    An essential part of every IT toolkit. It gets used for a 1001 things!

    --
    Darren
    mail to darren not ng

  11. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    from Phil Cook contained the following:

    >Or a text editor like TextPad http://www.textpad.com/ that can edit
    >across multiple documents.

    Interesting. I didn't know that.

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
    Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/

  12. Neil Tonks

    Neil Tonks Guest

    "Simon Caldwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:03:54 GMT, "sandy saunders"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>For those that use it, and may not be aware, but the National Park Weather
    >>Line as changed its number to:
    >>
    >>0870 0550575
    >>
    >>Just had to update 70 pages of my website ...... phew, what a job! Serves
    >>me right for having the number on each walk page.

    > In other words it's now a lot more expensive :-(

    AFAIK 0870 is a National rate number and a call lasts about a couple of
    minutes so it costs 10p or so from a normal landline - well worth it if it
    means you're prepared for the conditions.

    --
    Neil

    Visit my Peak District walking website - www.peakwalking.co.uk

  13. In article <[email protected]>, Geoff Berrow
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    >from Phil Cook contained the following:
    >

    >>Or a text editor like TextPad http://www.textpad.com/ that can edit
    >>across multiple documents.

    >Interesting. I didn't know that.

    As can Ultraedit http://www.ultraedit.com/

    Having had a trial with both I went for Ultraedit because it can
    seamlessly switch between hex and text modes (not an issue for most
    users) and it comes with an excellent file compare utility.

    For the coders it also does some dandy tricks like highlighting the
    open/close brackets when you click on the other of the pair - makes
    finding errors easier.

    Would recommend anybody interested in a top-notch editor to try both and
    see which fits their needs best. The prices are not far apart (UE wee
    bit more expensive).

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  14. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:47:42 -0000, Neil Tonks wrote:

    >"Simon Caldwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:03:54 GMT, "sandy saunders"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>For those that use it, and may not be aware, but the National Park Weather
    >>>Line as changed its number to:
    >>>
    >>>0870 0550575
    >>>
    >>>Just had to update 70 pages of my website ...... phew, what a job! Serves
    >>>me right for having the number on each walk page.

    >> In other words it's now a lot more expensive :-(
    >>

    >AFAIK 0870 is a National rate number and a call lasts about a couple of
    >minutes so it costs 10p or so from a normal landline - well worth it if it
    >means you're prepared for the conditions.

    Yep It's a "National Rate" dialing code. So it isn't going to cost any
    more. It might be worthwile advertising that fact Sandy.

    http://www.qxtelecom.co.uk/service/ngn.htm#0870

  15. > JeffC wrote:
    > The best site for weather forecasts (in my opinion) is metcheck.

    Agree - 100%

    MetCheck in combination with MWIS is a winner.

    [I hope MetCheck is right as after next Monday the following couple of
    weeks look relatively dry and settled for Cumbria]

  16. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from
    Dominic Sexton contained the following:

    >For the coders it also does some dandy tricks like highlighting the
    >open/close brackets when you click on the other of the pair - makes
    >finding errors easier.

    I use notepad2 extensively which is great at that. Small and lightweight
    yet fully featured. It's what notepad should be.

    >Would recommend anybody interested in a top-notch editor to try both and
    >see which fits their needs best. The prices are not far apart (UE wee
    >bit more expensive).

    NP2 is free. :)

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
    Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/

  17. >
    > Yep It's a "National Rate" dialing code. So it isn't going to cost any
    > more. It might be worthwile advertising that fact Sandy.

    Cheers for that Phil ........... not another 70 pages to update and upload!

    --
    sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

    'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
    brings the same excitement'

  18. > However I consider the forecast well worth the extra money.

    Yes, so do I, especially living on the South Coast. Gives me an indication
    in winter as to the snow condition on the higher fells (well. Helvellyn).
    Could be the deciding factor whether to start out for a 'snowy' long-weekend
    or not.

    --

  19. > Or a text editor like TextPad http://www.textpad.com/ that can edit
    > across multiple documents.

    But I would assume all the documents need to be open?

    I must admit I have not looked to see if there is a 'global change' method
    in FP2000.

    --
    sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

    'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
    brings the same excitement'

  20. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:30:52 GMT, "sandy saunders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Yep It's a "National Rate" dialing code. So it isn't going to cost any
    >> more. It might be worthwile advertising that fact Sandy.

    >Cheers for that Phil ........... not another 70 pages to update and upload!

    I really ought to know more html than I do, but surely there are (supported)
    ways of specifying a particular item of content on multiple pages, but with
    one "source" ? Or is this the sort of problem that the dreaded frames
    address ?

    --
    Extra credit: Define the universe and give three examples.

    Mail john rather than nospam...