Re: levels!?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by mgrant, Apr 4, 2005.

  1. mgrant

    mgrant Guest

    > <snip>Sustained coasting with both feet
    > in the air is deemed to be impossible (on a unicycle) <snip>

    There is, however, video proof that standing-on-seat coasting is not
    impossible (anyone have the link?).

    This suggest to me that with enough practice one could achieve a
    both-feet-in-the-air extended coast.

    -mg

    --
    mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
    breath, and one day closer to death.
    michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
    mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

  2. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    sockmonster wrote:
    > *Yes, flatland and freestyle are the same thing.
    >
    > The levels are just a scale on which to measure one's progress and
    > skill. So when a fellow unicyclist asks you, "So, how good are you?"
    > You can say, "I'm a level 4!" instead of "Well....."
    >
    > It's not like there's a rule that says you have to go throuhg the
    > levels. Most of them aren't that practical anyway. I mean, if you can
    > ride in a fairly tight figure 8, and hop up and ride off a curb, then
    > you're perfectly capable of unicycling for transportation.
    >
    > Seriously, how often are you going to ride one footed backwards in a
    > figure eight?
    >
    > But the best part about the levels is that they provide all
    > unicyclists with something to shoot for.
    >
    > P.s. what's the difference between gliding and coasting? *

    Ive always thought this, and it kinda annoyed me when people got all mad
    becuase the levels are for freestlye, so thank you for typing that.

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908 - Level 5

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...

    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II

  3. jsm

    jsm Guest

    > There is, however, video proof that standing-on-seat coasting is not
    > impossible (anyone have the link?).

    Check 'here.' (http://unicyclist.org/cont/play.cfm?pi=m240180CSOS_4a)
    Julien Monney is probably close to the best freestyler in the world!

    As to coasting with the feet off the frame, I think it just might be
    possible with enough practice. The best way to do it would be to extend
    both legs, but squeeze the sides of the saddle with your thighs. Maybe
    I'll give it a try sometime. In one of the old threads, Ken Fuchs claims
    he can coast forward and backward, in the lotus position, that is with
    the feet against the sides of the saddle, which is pretty close to
    double leg extended coasting.

    --
    jsm - Dark and stormy stand-up wheel walk

    Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia

    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  4. munipsycho

    munipsycho Guest

    Levels - or some measuring device - are one way to:

    a) compare your skills to other riders, and
    b) compare your skills at two points in time (i.e., to know where and
    how you are improving).

    They definitely cannot objectively measure how good you are.

    And they don't make it more fun to ride.

    I ride MUni (although I've ordered a Coker). I wish I could do a lot of
    that free-style stuff. I also wish I was 19 again. (or 29, or even 39).
    I still have a lot of fun rocketing down gullies, crawling up hills,
    and doing a bunch of other stuff I don't know how to measure.

    But it's definitely an 11.5 on the 10 point Fun Scale.

    --
    munipsycho - CrashTestDummies are us.

    =====================
    The UniSkills Assessment: www.munipsycho.com/uniskills_2.jsp

    I can fly too. But I can only fly down.
    -Little Bear

    Imagine all the people
    Riding on one wheel.
    J. Lennon. (paraphrased)
    munipsycho's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9589

  5. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 17:33:34 -0500, "mgrant" wrote:

    >There is, however, video proof that standing-on-seat coasting is not
    >impossible (anyone have the link?).

    The native location of these vids is
    <http://www.monocycle.ch/index.php/Video>

    >This suggest to me that with enough practice one could achieve a
    >both-feet-in-the-air extended coast.

    I agree. I only wrote 'deemed to be impossible'. But indeed, you would
    have to exert forces with either the front or the rear of your crotch
    on the seat by tilting your hips forward or backward, to keep the
    unicycle upright. Like jsm writes, squeezing the seat would help as it
    increases the potential to exert force. I still doubt if anyone will
    ever do it (under control) but it is not physically impossible.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "When it comes to the family jewels, you won't be having fun until they're having fun. - Jake D"