Re: Light Weight, Long Distance, Durable Road Wheels - Recommendations?

A Muzi

Guest
Steve Sr. wrote:

> After digging through the last year and a half of news group posts
> regarding wheels I still haven't found a consensus for a good durable
> wheel set. It appears that there is a bias against "boutique" wheels
> for this purpose but then there have also been a lot of complaints
> with the conventionals like Mavic not being as good as they used to be
> and causing reliability problems.
>
> I am looking for a set of road wheels for long distance group riding
> not racing. I weigh 160 pounds which might make the choice easier.
>
> I want the hubs to be of high quality with no maintenance sealed
> cartridge bearings. Based on the distance requirement we're probably
> talking conventional round spokes and aluminum rims. BTW, these will
> be for a Shimano 10-speed drive train.
>
> Based on these requirements I am probably looking at having someone
> build these wheels from the recommended parts. however, if you can
> recommend some good wheels that match the requirements that are
> pre-built I will consider these also.
>
> So which components / wheels would you recommend?

no maintenance, 160lbs:
Velocity Aerohead front,14 or 15g butted 3x spokes, bras
nipples on Campagnolo Veloce sealed hub, 32h
Velocity Aerohead OC rear, 14g butted 3x spokes, brass
nipples on Campagnolo Veloce sealed hub, 32h

For very low maintenance and the simplest no-special-tools
rebuild ever, substitute Campagnolo Centaur hubs. (Those
are the same hubs as Chorus but for one dust seal and the
same hubs as Record save the titanium internal bits)
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/CANEWHUB.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org