Re: Light Weight, Long Distance, Durable Road Wheels - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Josh McClure, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. Josh McClure

    Josh McClure Guest

    Mavic CXP-33 w/ Chris King Hubs 14-15-14 DT spokes. The CK hubs give
    you the opportunity to customize the appearance and give you the sealed
    cartridge bearings that you are asking for. CXP-33 rims are very long
    lasting, I have them built up for my winter wheels.

    Josh McClure
    Durst Cycles

    Tags:

  2. Josh McClure wrote:
    > Mavic CXP-33 w/ Chris King Hubs 14-15-14 DT spokes. The CK hubs give
    > you the opportunity to customize the appearance and give you the sealed
    > cartridge bearings that you are asking for. CXP-33 rims are very long
    > lasting, I have them built up for my winter wheels.
    >
    > Josh McClure
    > Durst Cycles

    May want to mention that any service to CK hubs requires not only an
    expensive tool but also the innards for these hubs are not cheap. A
    complete set just purchased from CK was in the $125 range.

    Fir sealed bearings,there are many other, cheaper, less complicated answers.

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > May want to mention that any service to CK hubs requires not only an
    > expensive tool but also the innards for these hubs are not cheap. A
    > complete set just purchased from CK was in the $125 range.

    Doesn't the whole hub come apart with an allen wrench? Or is the tool to R&R
    the bearings?

    Also, don't CK hubs require special lube (of exactly the right viscosity)?

    Matt O.

  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Peter Chisholm wrote:

    > Fir sealed bearings,there are many other, cheaper, less complicated
    > answers.

    I understand that spruce and pine bearing seals are superior to fir
    bearing seals.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

  5. Tom Sherman wrote:
    > Peter Chisholm wrote:

    >> Fir sealed bearings,there are many other, cheaper, less complicated
    >> answers.

    > I understand that spruce and pine bearing seals are superior to fir
    > bearing seals.

    Well, there *are* FIR rims...
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. Matt O'Toole wrote:
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    >

    >>May want to mention that any service to CK hubs requires not only an
    >>expensive tool but also the innards for these hubs are not cheap. A
    >>complete set just purchased from CK was in the $125 range.

    > Doesn't the whole hub come apart with an allen wrench? Or is the tool to R&R
    > the bearings?
    >
    > Also, don't CK hubs require special lube (of exactly the right viscosity)?
    >
    > Matt O.

    The tool is for bearing removal and reinstallation and yes they insist
    on their grease. WAY over pricerd for any hub, IMO.

  7. Tom Sherman wrote:
    > Peter Chisholm wrote:

    >> Fir sealed bearings,there are many other, cheaper, less complicated
    >> answers.

    > I understand that spruce and pine bearing seals are superior to fir
    > bearing seals.

    Sorry, I was tiping and laughing while I was looking at a recumbent.

  8. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Peter Chisholm wrote:

    > Tom Sherman wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Chisholm wrote:

    >>> Fir sealed bearings,there are many other, cheaper, less complicated
    >>> answers.

    >> I understand that spruce and pine bearing seals are superior to fir
    >> bearing seals.
    >>

    > Sorry, I was tiping and laughing while I was looking at a recumbent.

    ^^^^^^

    Peter,

    Were you still laughing after you tipped over?

    Falling over on an upright bicycle hurts a lot more than falling over on
    a recumbent bicycle.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

  9. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

  10. Tom Sherman wrote:
    \

    > ^^^^^^
    >
    > Peter,
    >
    > Were you still laughing after you tipped over?
    >
    > Falling over on an upright bicycle hurts a lot more than falling over on
    > a recumbent bicycle.

    I would rather walk or fall over on an upright before ever owning a
    'bent'. This from a guy that had his back broken( burst fracture of L3,
    cracked L1, cracked C4) after being nailed by a pickup truck from
    behind, whilst on a bicycle...

    Course there are three wheelers, one of which I passed yesterday. Really
    liked the two rear view mirrors..made me think of a old VW..while i was
    laughing.